Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disaster in SE asia

wunarmdscissor

55,000 Dead.

No words.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Mad Manfred

• tarabull

• Walken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just emerged: Scientists around the world detected the tusunami and earthquake that lead to it before they happened.

Ottawa (my town) alone has raised 1 million dollars.

Sorry for ur friend lottie

And the EU $4 million (personally i think if japan can give 30 million we can at least match that.)

425932[/snapback]

Thanks Wurm, the worry is dreadful and now the worry of disease that is spreading too.

Pendekar Timur, I am really glad to hear you are okay.

And Wurm I agree, if Japan can give 30 mil we should be matching it, if not doubling it.

Sorry for ur friend lottie

And the EU $4 million (personally i think if japan can give 30 million we can at least match that.)

425932[/snapback]

Pendekar Timur, I am really glad to hear you are okay.

426190[/snapback]

...thank you lottie.. original.gif

i think you better check out this story...

MAIL HIGHLIGHT

Tsunami Took My Babies

The Malay Mail Team

PENANG, Dec 28:

Bus driver Zulkifli Mohamad Noor lost five of his children to the killer waves that slammed into Balik Pulau, Penang on Sunday. The bodies of his twin 16-year-old daughters and only son have been found. Two other daughters are still missing. THE MALAY MAIL TEAM reports Zulkifli Mohamad Noor did not read anything ominous in the first strong wave that hit the beach at Pasir Panjang in Balik Pulau, on Sunday.

Instead of foretelling a disaster, the wave beached hundreds of fish on the shore, to the delight of his five children and the other picnickers there.

?I really did not expect that the glut of fish on the beach before the tsunami hit was actually a death trap for my children,? Zulkifli said, explaining that his children and the others excitedly collected the fish which they considered a blessing.

?While we were busy collecting the fish, a huge wave crashed down on us and swept us away but my wife and I managed to hang on to trees and rocks,? he said.

......continue here-CLICK

...and maybe one day,if you see there's a lot of fishes come

to a beach...please be carefull..

unsure.gif

Asia Disaster Yields Its Dead, Toll at 59,000

GALLE, Sri Lanka (Reuters) - The sea and wreckage of coastal towns around the Indian Ocean yielded up tens of thousands of bodies on Tuesday, pushing the toll from Sunday's tsunami close to 60,000.

The apocalyptic destruction caused by the ocean surge dwarfed the efforts of governments and relief agencies as they recovered countless corpses while trying to treat survivors and take care of millions of homeless, increasingly threatened by disease amid the rotting corpses. Thousands more were injured.

The United Nations launched what it called an unprecedented relief effort to assist nations hit by a devastating tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.0 undersea earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

In a further threat to the region, disease could kill as many people as those killed by the wall of water, a top World Health Organization (WHO) official said.

While grieving families in wrecked coastal towns and resorts buried their loved ones, others, including many foreign tourists, looked for friends and relatives still missing.

"Why did you do this to us, God?" wailed an old woman in a devastated fishing village in southern India's Tamil Nadu state. "What did we do to upset you? This is worse than death."

In Thailand, where thousands of tourists were enjoying a Christmas break to escape the northern winter, many of the country's paradise resorts were turned into graveyards.

In a French-run hotel at Khao Lak on the Thai mainland north of the island of Phuket, up to half the 415 guests were believed killed. A reporter from France's Europe 1 radio said many bodies had been found in their rooms.

"The army is still bringing out bodies from the rooms, because most of the tourists and staff of the hotel who were there were trapped by the wave which completely swamped this hotel," reporter Anthony Dufour said.

"The enormity of the disaster is unbelievable," said Bekele Geleta, head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Southeast Asia.

In Sri Lanka, hundreds of people were killed when the wave crashed into a train, wrecking eight carriages and uprooting the track it was traveling on. The train was called "Sea Queen."

Of the overall death toll so far of 59,186, Indonesia has suffered the biggest number of victims, with its Health Ministry reporting 27,174 dead while Sri Lanka reported around 19,000.

India's toll of 11,500 included at least 7,000 on one archipelago, the Andamans and Nicobar. On one island, the surge of water killed two-thirds of the population.

Hundreds of others died in the Maldives, Myanmar and Malaysia. The arc of water struck as far as Somalia and Kenya. Fishing villages, ports and resorts were devastated, power and communications cut and homes destroyed. The United Nations said the cost of the damage will reach billions of dollars.

The tremor, the biggest in 40 years, tore a chasm in the sea bed which launched the tsunami, which appeared to be the deadliest in more than 200 years.

A tsunami at Krakatoa in 1883 killed 36,000 and one in the south China Sea in 1782 40,000, according to the National Geophysical Data Center in the United States.

Full Article

no.gif

well, i'm half indonesian myself and my mum just called her relativies to see how they are. Well they wern't near the wave (they all live in Jakata). She called when the death toll in Indonesia was 4000 and my mum's cousin was commenting on the situation.

She said 6 Australians are dead are you make a big fuss, 4000 Indonesians are dead and no one really worries. blink.gif

If you lived there (Indonesia) and saw how crowded the place is you can sorta see where she is coming from. But now the death toll is at 20000+ i wonder how she will react now hmm.gif

Kohl rescued as Swedes fear worst

Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl was among thousands of foreign tourists caught in the tsunami disaster in southern Asia.

Britons, Swiss, French, Australians, Danes, Italians, Japanese and Americans in the region were hit, but Swedes seem to be among the worst affected.

Sweden's foreign minister said 1,500 were still missing, mainly in Thailand, and she feared many would not be found.

Sri Lanka says its troops airlifted Mr Kohl from the roof of a flooded hotel.

A spokesman for Mr Kohl said the 74-year-old had been staying at a coastal resort in Sri Lanka, where he was undergoing heath spa treatments, and was not hurt.

"Kohl intends to complete his holiday," he added.

A huge undersea quake triggered sea surges on Sunday killing at least 38,000 people, with thousands more feared dead.

Millions of people are homeless, and the disaster zone is now threatened with outbreaks of disease.

Hundreds of holidaymakers have already flown or are flying out of the region.

The bodies of more than 700 mainly foreign tourists have been found in the Thai resort of Khao Lak - the government says the death toll in Thailand may rise to about 2,000.

Text messages

The BBC's Lars Bevanger said six Swedes are among the dead, but tour operators in Sweden say more than 1,500 of their charter tourists are missing from various tourist resorts on Thailand's west coast.

An unknown number of Swedish independent travellers are also missing. The Swedish Foreign Minister, Laila Freivalds, told journalists in Stockholm she feared many of them would never be found.

She is travelling to Thailand with relief workers to assess the situation and help in efforts to get Swedish nationals home.

The Swedish government has sent text messages to everyone who has a Swedish telephone in Thailand, hoping to gain some answers as to the whereabouts of some of the missing.

The Swedish government has responded by chartering three large passenger planes, which will make 20 flights to Thailand in order to get all Swedish citizens back by next Tuesday.

The south of Thailand is a very popular for Swedes, particularly at this time of year, which is normally the coldest in the Scandinavian country.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...fic/4130657.stm

This just gets heavier and heavier. Can you believe they are saying it actually changed the map!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the link:

Quake rattled Earth orbit, changed map of Asia: US geophysicist

An earthquake that unleashed deadly tidal waves on Asia was so powerful it made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently altered the regional map, US geophysicists said.

The 9.0-magnitude temblor that struck 250 kilometers (155 miles) southeast of Sumatra island Sunday may have moved small islands as much as 20 meters (66 feet), according to one expert.

"That earthquake has changed the map," US Geological Survey expert Ken Hudnut told AFP.

"Based on seismic modeling, some of the smaller islands off the southwest coast of Sumatra may have moved to the southwest by about 20 meters. That is a lot of slip."

The northwestern tip of the Indonesian territory of Sumatra may also have shifted to the southwest by around 36 meters (120 feet), Hudnut said.

In addition, the energy released as the two sides of the undersea fault slipped against each other made the Earth wobble on its axis, Hudnut said.

"We can detect very slight motions of the Earth and I would expect that the Earth wobbled in its orbit when the earthquake occurred due the massive amount of energy exerted and the sudden shift in mass," Hudnut said.

Another USGS research geophysicist agreed that the Earth would have got a "little jog," and that the islands off Sumatra would have been moved by the quake.

However, Stuart Sipkin, of the USGS National Earthquake Information Center in Golden Colorado, said it was more likely that the islands off Sumatra had risen higher out of the sea than they had moved laterally.

"In in this case, the Indian plate dived below the Burma plate, causing uplift, so most of the motion to the islands would have been vertical, not horizontal."

The tsunamis unleashed by the fourth-biggest earthquake in a century have left at least 23,675 people dead in eight countries across Asia and as far as Somalia in East Africa.

The tsunamis wiped out entire coastal villages and pulled beach-goers out to sea.

The International Red Cross estimated that up to one million people have been displaced by the natural calamity.

I found this image at NASA but nothing showing before and after.......yet. I'll keep looking tho.

NASA LINK

video shot from an upper floor of a hotel on Phuket beach

http://homepage.mac.com/jlgolson/tsunami.wmv

427249[/snapback]

That clip is heavy....REALLY REALLY hard to fathom.

So hey what do you think? Did the person running the video camera make it out alive?????

no.gif It doesn't look good to me.