Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars Ice Deposit

Waspie_Dwarf

Mars Ice Deposit Holds as Much Water as Lake Superior

Frozen beneath a region of cracked and pitted plains on Mars lies about as much water as what's in Lake Superior, largest of the Great Lakes, researchers using NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter have determined.

Scientists examined part of Mars' Utopia Planitia region, in the mid-northern latitudes, with the orbiter's ground-penetrating Shallow Radar (SHARAD) instrument. Analyses of data from more than 600 overhead passes with the onboard radar instrument reveal a deposit more extensive in area than the state of New Mexico. The deposit ranges in thickness from about 260 feet (80 meters) to about 560 feet (170 meters), with a composition that's 50 to 85 percent water ice, mixed with dust or larger rocky particles.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 4

4 hours ago, glorybebe said:

So exciting reading articles like this!  It gives me hope for Mars to be colonized.

Absolutely...

Sounds like a good place to set up shop. With good recyclers that much water should last a long time. 

3 hours ago, bigjonalien said:

Again! tell us something we don't know. Wat happened to the life on that planet?

How do you even know our solar system harbored life at all before us. My theory is that life was seeded onto Earth by either an asteroid made of Ice which carried the first life (bacteria), or the theory of the collision between the old Earth and Theia to create this new Earth and our Moon. Until NASA finds solid proof of past life on Mars I don't expect them to find any, Not like they would tell us anyway for at least a few years.