Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Farewell to Faith

1,161 posts in this topic

Scudbuster

Can't agree more -

Edited by Scudbuster
clarification
  • Like 6

Four Winds

I'm with you on this one.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 2

P.Nomenon

True, because the opinion of 3 people will eradicate something humans have held on to for several thousand years. I will hold on to my faith as much as I respect what Jackie, Rachael, and what ever the third persons name was, have to say.

Edited by P.Nomenon
  • Like 2

Podo

These three were able to fight their indoctrination. This is good.

• Like 7

Davros of Skaro
4 hours ago, P.Nomenon said:

True, because the opinion of 3 people will eradicate something humans have held on to for several thousand years. I will hold on to my faith as much as I respect what Jackie, Rachael, and what ever the third persons name was, have to say.

That's right. Repeating Bronze Age beliefs is the feel good logical thing to do.

download (7).jpg

img_7682.jpg

• Like 5

Habitat

Have these people become atheists ? Sorry, that isn't saying goodbye to faith, it is saying hello to another one ! I have no faith in faiths, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

P.Nomenon
51 minutes ago, davros of skaro said:

That's right. Repeating Bronze Age beliefs is the feel good logical thing to do.

download (7).jpg

img_7682.jpg

LOL! May the force be with you my friend

• Like 1

On3Truly

3 people brought up in fundamentalist churches, where the Bible is taken literally. I feel bad for them. Glad they realized it's nonsense. I hope somebody told them that believing in a creator god without religion is absolutely possible (see Deism).

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2

Kismit

I have a personal dislike of religions. Self segregation is never ever a good thing. Any institution which encourages people to believe that they are better because of their conection to a certain group is fundamentally  flawed.

But I would also never disrespect a person's right to their personal belief. 

The video feels staged, it just feels like actors trying to convince people of a different institutions agenda.

Still an example of segregating.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 1

On3Truly
15 minutes ago, Kismit said:

The video feels staged, it just feels like actors trying to convince people of a different institutions agenda.

The purpose of this video seems to be that people who deconvert from a fundamentalist religion should go to the extreme opposite (radical atheism). Like there was no in-between possible. It's black or white. I think it's absurd but hey, everyone is entitled to it's own path.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2

Habitat
37 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

The purpose of this video seems to be that people who deconvert from a fundamentalist religion should go to the extreme opposite (radical atheism). Like there was no in-between possible. It's black or white. I think it's absurd but hey, everyone is entitled to it's own path.

I can't think of anyone here that would answer that description....heavens no. Ummm....let me think......

Davros of Skaro
1 hour ago, Kismit said:

The video originates from a well known Atheist (Seth Andrews) Podcaster (The Thinking Atheist). 

He doesn't need to fake videos if that's what you mean by "Staged"?

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Still an example of segregating.

Please explain. Atheism is an institution? 

• Like 1

Davros of Skaro
1 hour ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

3 people brought up in fundamentalist churches, where the Bible is taken literally. I feel bad for them. Glad they realized it's nonsense. I hope somebody told them that believing in a creator god without religion is absolutely possible (see Deism).

That's just another example of belief without evidence.

• Like 2

Kismit
32 minutes ago, davros of skaro said:

The term institution in the context I intended was just to connect the two beliefs.  I have a very literal way of viewing things so I use language to convey ideas in the simplest way I can.

I'm well aware that it's not  the correct fit, but the connection should come from my initial point of, Any group or institution which segregates itself by using the belief that by being part of that particular group and not Other they are some how better/smarter and therefore seperate to and in a way showing a form of elitist behavior. It's the idea of someone separating themselves from everyone else because they know better that I dislike. 

It's why I have such a strong personal dislike of religions.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 3

Davros of Skaro
1 hour ago, Kismit said:

The term institution in the context I intended was just to connect the two beliefs.  I have a very literal way of viewing things so I use language to convey ideas in the simplest way I can.

I'm well aware that it's not  the correct fit, but the connection should come from my initial point of, Any group or institution which segregates itself by using the belief that by being part of that particular group and not Other they are some how better/smarter and therefore seperate to and in a way showing a form of elitist behavior. It's the idea of someone separating themselves from everyone else because they know better that I dislike. 

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Ok.

Grandpa Greenman
13 hours ago, P.Nomenon said:

Just because an idea has been around for several thousand years, doesn't make it so. Kind of like, Geocentric solar system was all the rage for several thousand years, until Copernicus and Kepler came along and set things right.  

• Like 3

XenoFish

The biggest weakness to religious belief is when you start thinking for yourself. When the dots you connect don't match the picture you were shown. You start to question and eventually lose faith. There are a select few who use religion for entertainment purposes. They don't take their belief so adamantly that it creates a divide between people. Religion separates us yet unifies a select group of people. Still this is a stumbling block to humanity.

• Like 3

markdohle

Religious people think for themselves.  Non believers also have a party line, just like the video, nothing new said, just a rehash.  I was never raised in a fundamentalist religion.  Our secular culture pretty makes people the same.  Same clothes, same tech apps, same music etc.  Same arguments about religion, abortion etc.  It is hard for anyone to think for themselves, but atheist tend not to, just the same old statements.   I don't mind atheist, but I do mind atheist who sound like black and white fundamentalist 'anything'.  I would like to see them in 20 years in another video.  There are lots of books out about atheist, who were raised in an atheist family who are now believers.....in God, not just in my particular path.  Today it takes study and thoughtful thinking and sharing to deepen what anyone believes....way too much noise and yes archetypal arguments that can be mind numbing.

• Like 3

XenoFish

I guess somethings gotta trigger that pleasure center in the brain. Choose your poison.

• Like 4

Nuclear Wessel
21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I guess somethings gotta trigger that pleasure center in the brain. Choose your poison.

Coffee and sex. Not necessarily at the same time...

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2

simplybill

It's impossible to prove spiritual matters with material tools, other than the "9th planet" metaphor, whereby something unseen is influencing the world we live in. 

Regarding the video: my conversion has been the opposite, leaving agnosticism for belief. Being "born again" brought an awareness of the spiritual component of life, and eventually a better understanding of God, and people, and life in general. 

Nuclear Wessel
8 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Being "born again" brought an awareness of the spiritual component of life, and eventually a better understanding of God, and people, and life in general. 

Before I comment further I should like to ask what you mean by the spiritual component of life.

simplybill

In a nutshell: our spiritual connection to God was broken, but the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus makes it possible for us to reconnect. 

It's probably impossible to describe what I'm talking about, without using testimonial type of descriptions. Until it's experienced personally, it really can't be compared to anything in the material world.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

On3Truly
11 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

The video comes from The Thinking Atheist, a community promoting a particular worldview (Neo-atheism).

Don't be fooled.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

P.Nomenon
3 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Just because an idea has been around for several thousand years, doesn't make it so. Kind of like, Geocentric solar system was all the rage for several thousand years, until Copernicus and Kepler came along and set things right.  

Science and faith go hand in hand. It can drive men to do terrible things or propel others to do great things. Like these men and countless others who made clear that we exist in a planned universe which is governed by rules that were created, shaped by a universal intelligence and not by chance. Science needs faith and faith needs science as well. Science distinguishes between "fact" and "value", so past these factual realities we can't/shouldnt draw any further judgments as to say God doesnt exist at all. Consider the possibility that religious truth claims are, indeed, complex, absolute truth claims about the way in which all of reality is ordered. Faith is based on morality and conscience. It is a vehicle for humans to be in relationship with God. Even atheists and agnostics are in relationship with God, just as a child who has cut off all contact with a parent still has a blood tie to that person. I have my reasons for believing and I respect the views of others as long as it motivates you to live a good life, treat others well, and be happy, then it serves its purpose.

• Like 2