Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ice cream for breakfast makes you smarter

Still Waters

In a discovery that will give nutritionists the shivers, a Japanese scientist has discovered that consuming ice cream for breakfast improves a person's alertness and mental performance.

Yoshihiko Koga, a professor at Tokyo's Kyorin University, has carried out a series of clinical trials in which test subjects were required to eat ice cream immediately after waking up. 

They were then put through a series of mental exercises on a computer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/23/ice-cream-breakfast-makes-smarter-japanese-scientist-claims/

• Like 2

The article also mentions that eating chocolate cake in the morning helps you lose weight. So I'm quite willing to start my mornings with a huge piece of cake a la mode. I do think, however, it's the glucose more than it is the ice cream, so I'm not quite sure I buy into the concept 100%... but I'm happy to be a guinea pig for any future studies. :lol:

• Like 4

"A possible explanation [for increased alertness[... is the simple presence of consuming breakfast vs. not consuming breakfast,"

Prof Koga is continuing his research and has yet to determine a firm connection between the mental boost delivered by ice cream and a specific ingredient, while another explanation may lie in the sense that ice cream is a treat that triggers positive emotions and added energy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/23/ice-cream-breakfast-makes-smarter-japanese-scientist-claims/

There is no indication of what flavor ice cream,  specific ingredient (in terms of positive emotions)  or if the subjects were used to a regular breakfast.

I can see someone feeling a lot more alert if they have just eaten a "refreshing" and tasty breakfast, just not sure if ice cream is the key, what about cold milk and tasty cereal? has he done the comparison there? 

• Like 1

I like ice cream but I wouldn't want it for breakfast. Tea and a slice of toast is about all for me, I'm not a big breakfast eater.

• Like 1

Ice cream for breakfast may make you smarter but also maybe fatter too!  hides.gif?v=2

I too like some flavours of ice cream...but at the moment, waking up to the chill of winter and  having to wrap up to take the dogs out in the cold first thing in the morning....ice cream is the last thing on my mind.

It seems like every time you turn around, people have been wrong about what's healthy and what isn't. When are they gonna get the idea that everyone is different? Maybe what's healthy for you isn't healthy for me. 

6 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

It seems like every time you turn around, people have been wrong about what's healthy and what isn't. When are they gonna get the idea that everyone is different? Maybe what's healthy for you isn't healthy for me. 

To some degree but foods like saturated fats....????

7 minutes ago, sees said:

To some degree but foods like saturated fats....????

Again...some people have higher tolerance than others. There's always gonna be that skinny person who eats nothing but crap and lives to 90. 

Edited by ChaosRose

Ice Cream for breakfast cant be any worse than when people gulp down 32 ounces of coffee with like twelve creamers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

Ice Cream for breakfast cant be any worse than when people gulp down 32 ounces of coffee with like twelve creamers.

Let's face it - neither one is that great nutritionally!

Just now, sees said:

Let's face it - neither one is that great nutritionally!

But i'd still take icecream over coffee. ^_^

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Mmmm coffee ice cream.

Sprinkled with walnuts !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Sprinkled with walnuts !

Yes coffee icecream sprinkled with walnuts and hot chocolate sauce!  330618.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Sprinkled with Nutella  hot chocolate sauce...

You have already gone past your sugar limit !

20 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You have already gone past your sugar limit !

Call the sugar police!!!  489992.gif

Ice cream only really sells in summer.

This seems like a marketing strategy

Think about it a minute.  Ice cream contains protein from the cream used.  Sugar for energy and some fat for later.  The trouble is most people will eat more than they should.  I know I would.