Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Top/Favourite Films and WHY!

sees

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

third_eye -

I went to add 'The Road Home' to my Netflix queue and discovered I'd already watched it in September, 2009. I rated it 5-out-of-5 stars. Apparently I really liked it! 

That's one of the benefits of getting older: you can watch a movie, then watch it again 6 months later and it's like seeing it for the first time!

I think that one kinda eases in and out of the memory because of its simplicity, its that time eternal story being played out thousands of times everyday somewhere day in day out in every little corner of the world ... life ... sometimes its just all that is that there is ... and all that it is, is all that is there ... I loved "The Road Home' because its a beautifully 'framed' picture, I think one reviewer said it best ... every scene is like a 'painting' ... pause it now and then and you'll see what that means.

I don't know about the resolution available on Netfilx but the DvD version I have is breath taking ... and yeah ... the soundtrack ... masterful ... still gives me the goosebumps :lol:

~

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Last Starfighter  -  I was only a kid when I watched it, really into sci fi special effects. 

The first Star Wars , and Ghostbusters movies as well.

The Neverending Story

And The Goonies of course, I don't watch many movies now.

• Like 2

Limiting it to 3 is killing me!

3. Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out Of Balance.

Required viewing by my art college painting course. Soundtrack by Philip Glass. 

2. Beatles: Yellow Submarine.

I was 5 when I saw this at the local drive in (bracketed by Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Night Of The Living Dead). Maybe it was the cereal box marketing of the movie ( free yellow submarine decals inside!). I think it was the brilliant late 60's, Peter Max inspired, pop art added to the story and George Martin's score.

Groundhog Day. 

Everything in one movie. Just the fact that this is so rewatchable adds to the format of: a man reliving one day until he "gets it right".

The ensemble, the parallels to those relationships we all go through. Trying to find "the one".

The most 'what ifs', ever.

Edited by HDesiato
Misspelling
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, HDesiato said:

Limiting it to 3 is killing me!

3. Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out Of Balance.

Required viewing by my art college painting course. Soundtrack by Philip Glass.

Holy smokes! It's not often (like never) I run across some else that's seen it, let alone enjoyed it. :tsu:

• Like 2

I thought of another obscure movie I like very much, "Deadhead Miles" (1973) starring Alan Arkin as a misfit truck driver. Also in the cast is Paul Benedict (from 'The Jeffersons' TV show) and having minor roles, Charles Durning, Loretta Swit and a brief walk-on by George Raft and Ida Lupino.

Good off the wall movie. The best part is, it was never theatrically released. The executives at Paramount said it was "unreleasable" when they previewed it in 1971.

• Like 1

Jurassic Park - I love paleontology and dinosaurs in particular, so that's pretty self-explanatory.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - An real classic with some of the best action scenes in movie history. Endlessly quotable as well.

Star Wars Episode IV - The first and best of the Star Wars saga. I love the grittier, industrial space look (especially compared to the shinier and polished look of the prequels).

Edited by Carnoferox

I really liked The Lovely Bones. It was interesting that it wasn't about finding her body at all. 

I thought the Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Hotel Rwanda and Life is Beautiful were wonderful, if difficult to watch.

Of course, I loved Star Wars and Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Naturally, I loved all the Lord of the Rings movies.

And I liked some dumb and funny ones, too. What about Bob and Groundhog Day, the Vacation movies, Ghostbusters. A couple of my all-time favorite comedies were Office Space and The Big Lebowski. If you don't get the humor of The Big Lebowski, I have trouble imagining that we could be friends. 

I'm a big horror fan, so I have plenty of favorites. The original Shining, Halloween, everything Evil Dead, original Carrie, and some newer movies like Babadook and The Abandoned (2006). I'm sure I'm forgetting some awesome movies. 

I liked some weird 80s movies like The Gate and Dreamscape, The Last Starfighter. And I don't know anyone who didn't love The Neverending Story.

• Like 2

I realize I broke the rules and didn't limit it to 3. That's just impossible for me. You can't even hit all the genres you want to with 3 movies. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I realize I broke the rules and didn't limit it to 3. That's just impossible for me. You can't even hit all the genres you want to with 3 movies. 

Ha!  The 3 films were just a guideline! wink.gif

So you too are a Bill Murray fan I see!?  Loved What About Bob.  I have an anecdote about Bill. (He is known to prefer hanging out with the general public more than the showbiz crowd).  Anyway, he was seen entering a restaurant by a diner at a table, who recognises him.  Cheekily Bill pinches one of the diner's chips and goes "shh.....they'll never believe you!"

The Big Lebowski was pretty cool ...

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

I can't believe I forgot to mention Jaws...the movie that had me looking sideways at kiddie pools. 

• Like 2

Sorry, I can't do just 3...so I put it into genres:

Science Fiction: "Blade Runner", "2001 A  Space Odyssey"

Mystery: "Chinatown", "The Maltese Falcon"

Adventure: "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Lawrence of Arabia"

Classic Cinema:  "Vertigo", "Citizen Kane"

Romance: "Casablanca", "Dr Zhivago"

• Like 3

Another film I hold in high regard is "The Misfits" (released 1961), written by Arthur Miller (who was married to Monroe at the time), directed by John Huston. Starring Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, Thelma Ritter, Eli Wallach and Kevin McCarthy. Clark Gable's and Marilyn Monroe's last movie.

Interesting to watch Gable and Monroe in the same film. Director Huston gambled and drank, and occasionally fell asleep on the set. The production company had to cover some of his gambling losses. Marilyn Monroe was sinking further into alcohol and prescription drug abuse; according to Huston in a 1981 retrospective interview, he was "absolutely certain that she was doomed" while working on the film:

Gable insisted on doing some of his own stunts, including being dragged 400 feet (120 m) across the dry lake bed at more than 30 miles per hour.(This was thought to contribute to his death from a heart attack later in 1960 after the film was made)

A good movie.

57 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Sorry, I can't do just 3...so I put it into genres:

Science Fiction: "Blade Runner", "2001 A  Space Odyssey"

Mystery: "Chinatown", "The Maltese Falcon"

Adventure: "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Lawrence of Arabia"

Classic Cinema:  "Vertigo", "Citizen Kane"

Romance: "Casablanca", "Dr Zhivago"

Oh but you missed out WHY!!??  It would be interesting to read the reasons these are your favourites.

26 minutes ago, sees said:

Oh but you missed out WHY!!??  It would be interesting to read the reasons these are your favourites.

There is no particular why. I just happen to like those movies...it's completely based on personal interest/taste. You know, like how some people prefer chocolate ice cream and others like vanilla or strawberry.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark - as a kid, I preferred Last Crusade, but Raiders has grown on me as a solid adventure story, fun and gripping.

Transformers: The Movie (1986) - what a soundtrack!

Dune (the Alan Smithee cut) - WHAT a soundtrack! Brilliant story, I love the book to pieces but I've grown to love the film as it's own beast.

On December 20, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Likely Guy said:

Holy smokes! It's not often (like never) I run across some else that's seen it, let alone enjoyed it. :tsu:

The year of its release, our Fine Arts Painting class, (Philadelphia's Tyler School of Art) was required to see it at the Theater of the Living Arts, (known as the "TLA") in Philly.

Still a fixture of the art film scene in Philly, a fun place to go for all the cool cult films.

i still remember the next morning, our (lovely and talented) instructor queuing up the soundtrack for us, to inspire our creativity.

The soundtrack alone is great on its own but the film is the whole package. Truly thrilling cinematography!

• Like 1

I little honorable mention due ... a bit outdated by today's standards but for its day when it was released ... truly joyful on the big screen...

~

~

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hunger (1974)

This definitely takes the top spot for me and takes me back to my early childhood. This animated short film was using computer animation techniques which didn't become commonplace in commercial television animation until the late '90s and early '00s.

• Like 1

This film is probably on my mind because ive recently been on a fly tying spree but its for sure one of my favorites of all time The Trout Bum Diaries 

Alas I no longer live in the cold, beautiful areas where trout reside so I also really like Running Down the Man because it doesnt make me miss my home waters :

Gummo (1997)

My second-place pick is Harmony Korine's exothermic tornado-made film. This builds on artistic concepts by tugging your arm just a little tighter when you think you've had your fill, then it crawls inside your ear canal and lays eggs. It's stayed with me since the day I first saw it.

Finally,

Because.. Salvador Dalí..

Other good films include Akira, Mondo Cane, Eraserhead, Kagemusha, Hour of the Wolf, Over the Edge, the short animation Eye Myth, anything Quentin Tarantino and probably lots of other neat stuff I can't think of this second.

• Like 1

Aliens has to be top of the list for me. I've seen it so many times that I can practically recite the script. It takes the isolated tension of the original Alien and blends it with a perfectly paced rollercoaster ride of an action movie.

Ripley has to be one of the strongest female leads on film too, in a time where the industry didn't need to create parts just to meet social demands. Sigourney Weaver absolutely nails it, and she'd probably have won the oscar that year had sci-fi not been pretty niche back then.

Beyond that, favourites include films such as The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Blade Runner, The Matrix, Pulp Fiction, Highlander, Donnie Darko, The Crow, Se7en, Back to the Future, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Trainspotting, Rear Window, The Thing, Jaws, Stand by Me, The Breakfast Club, etc.

It's impossible to name just three. So many great movies for so many reasons!

• Like 2

I don't think anyone has mentions 'The Maltese Falcon' (1941) yet. Perfect cast: Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorrie, Sydney Greenstreet, Elisha Cook, written and directed by Walter Huston from a novel by Dashell Hammett (script kept almost all of the dialogue from Hammett's novel).

Plot twists and turns, one of the great American films.

• Like 1

I have to second "Maltese Falcon", it's quotable, it's enjoyable, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and keeps you thinking. 

• Like 1