Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Magical Placebo Effect

XenoFish

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Sherapy, as usual, totally misinterprets what i say, either deliberately, or because she doesn't get it  That is why i  have her on ignore and only see reposted comments 

There is no way my argument can be seen as  suggesting harm (For example i explained that where a person will die of starvation, this allows them to choose the way the y approach death, and to stop feeling hunger fear etc.,  but to approach death with a sense of peace.) 

For a person with plenty of food, it allows them to control their hunger and to eat only as needed. 

My "advice" is the factual information that, whatever their circumstances, a person can control and utilise their feelings and perceptions  constructively not destructively That includes  feeling and perceptions of pain suffering hunger anger fear love joy peace etc.  Sherapy not only does not believe this is possible,  she somehow sees it a s non natural, and thus harmful, to even attempt it. .  

Your talking to me and what Sherapy says to me is not part of our discussion so don't wander off on a side track, respond to me about what we are talking about.I agreed that in some situations a person can set aside some discomforts,but those signals are warnings by our biological body. To ignore them completely is beyond rational thought and dumb too, there is a reason that we recieve those signals and the body expects you to listen to it.

jmccr8

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Your talking to me and what Sherapy says to me is not part of our discussion so don't wander off on a side track, respond to me about what we are talking about.I agreed that in some situations a person can set aside some discomforts,but those signals are warnings by our biological body. To ignore them completely is beyond rational thought and dumb too, there is a reason that we recieve those signals and the body expects you to listen to it.

jmccr8

Well no amount of mind control will stop him from starving to death, the body will win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Well no amount of mind control will stop him from starving to death, the body will win. 

Yes but he will suffer no discomfort because he is prepared and accepts it whether he has to starve or not. I wonder if one could condition themselves through willpower to not have odd ideas.:yes::no::w00t:

jmccr8

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

We are on ignore wink wink, but tonights topic is using mind control to starve to death. The first step is to believe you can. :o

Yes, some weirdo Aussies have a great history of that . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheen

It is so stupid it is worth putting here   ( even nationwide public embarrassment won;t stop these nutty Aussies   ;)  ... some right  here don't even seem to mind international embarrassment   :)   )

In 1998, she appeared in her first film, a six-part direct to video documentary called The Legend of Atlantis: Return of the Lightmasters.[citation needed] 

The Australian television programme 60 Minutes challenged Jasmuheen to demonstrate how she could live without food and water. The supervising medical professional Dr Beres Wenck found that, after 48 hours, Jasmuheen displayed symptoms of acute dehydration, stress, and high blood pressure.[2] Jasmuheen claimed that this was a result of "polluted air". On the third day, she was moved to a mountainside retreat about 15 miles from the city, where she was filmed enjoying the fresh air, claiming she could now successfully practice Inedia.

But as filming progressed, Jasmuheen's speech slowed, her pupils dilated, and she lost over a stone (6 kg or 14 lb) in weight. After four days, she acknowledged that she had lost weight, but stated that she felt fine. Dr. Wenck stated: "You are now quite dehydrated, probably over 10%, getting up to 11%." The doctor continued: "Her pulse is about double what it was when she started. The risk if she goes any further is kidney failure."[2] Jasmuheen's condition continued to deteriorate rapidly due to acute dehydration, despite her contrary insistence. Dr Wenck concluded that continuing the experiment would ultimately prove fatal. The film crew agreed with this assessment and stopped filming.

Regarding her intake of food, Jasmuheen is quoted by the Correx Archives as saying:[3] "Generally not much at all. Maybe a few cups of tea and a glass of water, but now and then if I feel a bit bored and I want some flavour, then I will have a mouthful of whatever it is I'm wanting the flavour of. So it might be a piece of chocolate or it might be a mouthful of a cheesecake or something like that." 

As of 2012, four deaths had been directly linked to breatharianism and Jasmuheen's publications

And so on ....    oh yeah, she sold heaps of  books  , your right, that is the first step .....  ya gotta believe it first ! 

(One wonders why anyone would try it of they didnt believe it   :D  )  

51XYT0X73TL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Yes but he will suffer no discomfort because he is prepared and accepts it whether he has to starve or not. I wonder if one could condition themselves through willpower to not have odd ideas.:yes::no::w00t:

jmccr8

Or to condition his brain to actually ignore posts. 

Well I guess the first step is to believe you can. :P

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

< censored by BTE  >

I was  going to respond to this but I better not .... if I did it might make Mr Walker  have to go back and uncensor all your posts to see what you wrote about him .  

So I won't . 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Yes, some weirdo Aussies have a great history of that . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheen

It is so stupid it is worth putting here   ( even nationwide public embarrassment won;t stop these nutty Aussies   ;)  ... some right  here don't even seem to mind international embarrassment   :)   )

In 1998, she appeared in her first film, a six-part direct to video documentary called The Legend of Atlantis: Return of the Lightmasters.[citation needed] 

The Australian television programme 60 Minutes challenged Jasmuheen to demonstrate how she could live without food and water. The supervising medical professional Dr Beres Wenck found that, after 48 hours, Jasmuheen displayed symptoms of acute dehydration, stress, and high blood pressure.[2] Jasmuheen claimed that this was a result of "polluted air". On the third day, she was moved to a mountainside retreat about 15 miles from the city, where she was filmed enjoying the fresh air, claiming she could now successfully practice Inedia.

But as filming progressed, Jasmuheen's speech slowed, her pupils dilated, and she lost over a stone (6 kg or 14 lb) in weight. After four days, she acknowledged that she had lost weight, but stated that she felt fine. Dr. Wenck stated: "You are now quite dehydrated, probably over 10%, getting up to 11%." The doctor continued: "Her pulse is about double what it was when she started. The risk if she goes any further is kidney failure."[2] Jasmuheen's condition continued to deteriorate rapidly due to acute dehydration, despite her contrary insistence. Dr Wenck concluded that continuing the experiment would ultimately prove fatal. The film crew agreed with this assessment and stopped filming.

Regarding her intake of food, Jasmuheen is quoted by the Correx Archives as saying:[3] "Generally not much at all. Maybe a few cups of tea and a glass of water, but now and then if I feel a bit bored and I want some flavour, then I will have a mouthful of whatever it is I'm wanting the flavour of. So it might be a piece of chocolate or it might be a mouthful of a cheesecake or something like that." 

As of 2012, four deaths had been directly linked to breatharianism and Jasmuheen's publications

And so on ....    oh yeah, she sold heaps of  books  , your right, that is the first step .....  ya gotta believe it first ! 

(One wonders why anyone would try it of they didnt believe it   :D  )  

51XYT0X73TL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wow someone nuttier, we call then anorexic in the west.

Edited by Sherapy

Just now, Sherapy said:

When no-one will talk to you you either start talking to imaginary posters or respond to the ones that that offer the most exposure.Imaginary posters are like dogs or oranges.

jmccr8

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, back to earth said:

I was  going to respond to this but I better not .... if I did it might make Mr Walker  have to go back and uncensor all your posts to see what you wrote about him .  

So I won't . 

I like being on ignore. :wub:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

No amount of  his own mind control can get Walker  to ignore me   :D  

"I finally figured out how to put BTE on ignore  "   ..... next day, he is quoting and responding to me  .

You are on ignore, but he reponds to you via tohers   :) 

He makes a heap of silly posts in respoes to Xeno , but I igire them as Xeno has him on ignore . 

Tr la la   la laaarrrr 

smileycooking.gif~c200

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

When no-one will talk to you you either start talking to imaginary posters or respond to the ones that that offer the most exposure.Imaginary posters are like dogs or oranges.

jmccr8

Ha ha ha ha ha ha good one!!!! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, back to earth said:

No amount of  his own mind control can get Walker  to ignore me   :D  

"I finally figured out how to put BTE on ignore  "   ..... next day, he is quoting and responding to me  .

You are on ignore, but he reponds to you via tohers   :) 

He makes a heap of silly posts in respoes to Xeno , but I igire them as Xeno has him on ignore . 

Tr la la   la laaarrrr 

smileycooking.gif~c200

The ignore effect. :D 

The subjective perception of an objective reality.

Edited by Sherapy

13 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

1. Believe you can.

2. tell everyone you are going to .

3. Declare you have .

4. Dont do it.

5 Say its a software malfunction.

6, Say you have now figured it out and are really going to do it . 

7. Say you did it but it made the computer blow up   ( that was classic ! ).

8. Say you have finally figured how how to do it .

9. Saym its done , thats it, no more.

10, Come back , same old  ......   same old . 

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

1. Believe you can.

3. Declare you have .

4. Dont do it.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, you should be a stand up comedian, you have your muse! 

3 minutes ago, back to earth said:

1. Believe you can.

3. Declare you have .

4. Dont do it.

It's an imaginary ignore button

jmccr8

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Wow someone nuttier, we call then anorexic in the west.

Not exactly, this one eats chocolate and cheese cake ... and has a fridge full of food .

She does however recommend  other people   try not eating  ,  Wait ! ...  this sounds familiar ? ( except  she gives her advice to people that give her money so she can explain how to do it ... some tried .... the ones that dies .   )  ... or one does it for free ! 

I was going to include an image to explain more ... but an mage can be dangerous ... so I better not . 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

The brain and the mind are two different things and confusing their significance is a weak argument.

Let me run that past my banker and see if we don't have to pay bills because we are all rich.

exactly my point

When I cut my finger off and had it sewn back on rest assured that I would have had to have been brain dead not to feel it while it was healing.:hmm:

jmccr8

I had my chest cut open, my heart removed and patched up, and then  heart replaced, my chest stapled back together .  Of course i felt pain But by mental discipline i was able to get off of morphine based painkillers within 2 days and  then to be pain free quite quickly   Some one one, more expert than myself, could possibly have eliminated ALL perception of pain.

Modern science, including pain centres at hospitals, now acknowledge that pain is MOSTLY a mental  perception rather than a direct  connect to wound or tissue damage Thus we can feel intense phantom pains even with no injury.and some people with severe injuries feel no pain.  

I am not confusing brain and mind.  It is brain which makes the potential of mind possible. It is the individual  experience of internal and external  stimuli which differentiates and individualises  minds.

Thus, all minds have similar potentials. What one mind can learn, so can another (with a few remarkable exceptions, perhaps)    Thus almost anyone can learn how to develop an eidetic memory, read a page as fast as they can turn it ,or learn how to manage and control emotional responses or pain perception.  Only the physical brain puts limitations on these abilities, if it is damaged in some way.  The mind does not have such physical limitations. 

If you weren't worried about money, you wouldn't worry about bills.  You might still have to pay them, but as with my wife's attitude to money,  they simply would not concern you.

Again it is NOT the physical environment, but our perception of  it, which causes fear, stress, worry, anger, fear etc.

And no, sherapy, i am not saying, don't pay your bills on time, i am saying don't WORRY about this, or fear the consequences .Just organise to get them paid.  And you could try cutting down on things you buy that are not needs but wants.    We live on about 35000 dollars a year and we ARE rich,  because we see ourselves as rich. I have enough money to pay for everything we need,   and then some left over for luxuries like drives in the country and   afternoon tea, and to give to those truly in need. Yet i see australians on 5 times our income , crying poverty because they can't go on an overseas trip EVERY year.  or buy a new car every year. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I like being on ignore. :wub:

yes, lucky you .... I have even thought of studying psychology so I can analyse him as good as you did , and then when I try to help him with it, he will become enraged and finally really truely  ( this time  cross-his-heart-an-hope-to-die )  do it . 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The ignore effect. :D 

The subjective perception of an objective reality.

OMG  !  I just realised ...

I am on placebo ignore  !   ....

It doesnt seem to be working :(  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thus, all minds have similar potentials.

No they don't, I would really like to have seen you in my turf. Two siblings can live in the same house and have completely different experiences that shape the way they see and respond to situations.

jmccr8

• Like 2

I can only imagine the conversations about me, between BTE and sherapy, now that i have them both on ignore :) Thankfully, next time a mod closes down a thread, due to the personal nature of their comments, no one will be able to attach ANY blame to my contribution.  

4 minutes ago, back to earth said:

OMG  !  I just realised ...

I am on placebo ignore  !   ....

It doesnt seem to be working :(  

Omg, you out did me. Placebo ignore!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Walker said:

I can only imagine the conversations about me, between BTE and sherapy, now that i have them both on ignore :) Thankfully, next time a mod closes down a thread, due to the personal nature of their comments, no one will be able to attach ANY blame to my contribution.  

Not to worry I'm still here and for some reason have escaped the inquisition although I will try to be a gentleman about it.

jmccr8

• Like 1

• The topic was locked