Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Waspie_Dwarf

Bad altitude reading doomed Mars lander

8 posts in this topic

ESA says doomed Mars lander succumbed to bad altitude reading

One second of faulty data led to the destruction of a European spacecraft on final descent to Mars last month, officials said Wednesday.

An unexplained error in the Schiaparelli lander’s Inertial Measurement Unit, or IMU, fed incorrect data into the craft’s navigation computer, causing the probe to think it was already on the surface when it was actually still several miles above the planet, the European Space Agency said.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Spaceflight Now

1 person likes this

Sometimes you can as much from a failure as a success.   A major flaw has been uncovered and can now be rectified.

I wonder if the answer will present itself fairly easily or not.  Simulations may not show what happened without a lot of "what if" scenarios.

13 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I wonder if the answer will present itself fairly easily or not.  Simulations may not show what happened without a lot of "what if" scenarios.

The answer HAS presented itself, that is rather the point of the article. 

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The answer HAS presented itself, that is rather the point of the article. 

The article - and you quoted the relevant line - refers to "an unexplained error in the Schiaparelli's lander's Inertial Measurement Unit." Does that not suggest the answer has NOT yet presented itself? 

3 people like this

I find it hard to believe! Sounds like a forced answer to a demanding boardroom of investors

Reminiscent of Apollo 11, a computer glitch that almost aborted the landing. Human intervention prevailed and Buzz Aldrin made a difficult landing. AI has a way to go to supercede a risk-taking human who can function outside-the-box.

6 hours ago, highdesert50 said:

Reminiscent of Apollo 11, a computer glitch that almost aborted the landing. Human intervention prevailed and Buzz Aldrin made a difficult landing. AI has a way to go to supercede a risk-taking human who can function outside-the-box.

I think Neil may have helped Buzz with the landing!

1 person likes this