Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gen. "Mad Dog" Mattis Secretary of Defense

Yamato

2 minutes ago, -ZZ- said:

Well, speaking for myself, I was a green 18 year old carrying a M-16 and trying to keep one eye out for the VC, and the other on Mama-san to prevent her from as detonating a lunch basket filled with Chinese explosives.

It's funny when one is young, that stuff rolls like water off a duck's back. No PTSD, just not-so-fond memories of my time in country.

That's some real s*** right there Z... 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, -ZZ- said:

Fair enough, I did make that leap.

Maybe your reputation preceded you?

You're a real ad hominem machine today aren't you?    Good thing it's popular (e.g. moderator approved).   If you have such a giant problem with me defending the Constitution and showing you where the chronic partisan diarrhea is illogical, then may you have many, many more problems to come.   

OMG I defended myself again from another *******.   Quick mods, ban me!

1 hour ago, Silver_Lyre said:

Hmmm... America run by social workers. A bit extreme. If you think that its normal that an incoming president is surrounding himself with the army is normal then who am i to complain. I thought lets make America great again was about the economy? 

The secretary of defense seems like a perfect fit for someone from the military lol

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

:lol:

Wasn't trying to come off as a ass in my previous post,you usually come off as more inquisitive than condeming in other countries affairs unlike some others and i can respect that :tu: Hell what's really sad is how some of our own country men/women don't understand certain limits to power...

Hell i really just dropped in to say i really liked this pick,on the other hand i will be mad as hell if Romney gets a top job!

Then again Trump may prove wise if he picks Romney for a job,kinda the whole "keep your friends close,keep your enemies closer" sorta deal.

I dunno,only time will tell...

I feel exactly the same about Romney.  The biggest potential problem with giving such a post to - let's face it, a former enemy - is that he might work from within to subtly keep the same old dynamics in place.  OTOH, having our face to the world be a stable, successful, well-metered individual can't hurt.  Romney just seems too much like another FrankenKerry to me.  As to too many military types, I can't think of anyone else in politics these days that would be more professional, squared away and willing to carry out orders than exactly that type.  We need people who will get things done, period.  Anyone worrying about such appointments doesn't really understand the division of authority between the civilian and military parts of our power structure.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, and then said:

I feel exactly the same about Romney.  The biggest potential problem with giving such a post to - let's face it, a former enemy - is that he might work from within to subtly keep the same old dynamics in place.  OTOH, having our face to the world be a stable, successful, well-metered individual can't hurt.  Romney just seems too much like another FrankenKerry to me.  As to too many military types, I can't think of anyone else in politics these days that would be more professional, squared away and willing to carry out orders than exactly that type.  We need people who will get things done, period.  Anyone worrying about such appointments doesn't really understand the division of authority between the civilian and military parts of our power structure.

Well said :tu:

FrankenKerry... :lol: that's one i havn't heard before lol

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The secretary of defense seems like a perfect fit for someone from the military lol

Yeah, but its just not that. Trump is filling ALL his military, foreign affairs and intelligence cabinet positions with military types. I find it overkill. Others like yourself find it normal. I betcha his party are p***ed. Then again i don't think that Trump would really lose any sleep over it.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

Yeah, but its just not that. Trump is filling ALL his military, foreign affairs and intelligence cabinet positions with military types. I find it overkill. Others like yourself find it normal. I betcha his party are p***ed. Then again i don't think that Trump would really lose any sleep over it.  

Obama did just the opposite and look where the world is today because of his choices.  If you cannot see the damage done by America just taking hands off the wheel then I don't know what it would take to convince you.  Trump respects the military and will seek their input when dealing with our allies and enemies.  That is traditionally what presidents have done since the beginning.  It seems you may be worrying about a takeover by the military.  That has never happened here and would not work if someone tried.  Granted, it would create a bloody damned mess, but it just wouldn't be sustainable.  "His" party mostly ignored and berated him during the campaign.  He probably cares little what they think.  If they are smart they'll work with him or at least be very cagey if they are trying to resist the change he is planning.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Obama did just the opposite and look where the world is today because of his choices.  If you cannot see the damage done by America just taking hands off the wheel then I don't know what it would take to convince you.  Trump respects the military and will seek their input when dealing with our allies and enemies.  That is traditionally what presidents have done since the beginning.  It seems you may be worrying about a takeover by the military.  That has never happened here and would not work if someone tried.  Granted, it would create a bloody damned mess, but it just wouldn't be sustainable.  "His" party mostly ignored and berated him during the campaign.  He probably cares little what they think.  If they are smart they'll work with him or at least be very cagey if they are trying to resist the change he is planning.

Well George Bush junior also packed his cabinet with civilians too (exception Colin Powell). Was America any less safe then? But to answer your question i don't need to be convinced of the military's influence on American politics any more that viewing Trump's appointments. As for whether a military take over is a problem well that ship has already sailed, imo. Why would the military take over when they are in virtual control of the country already? I know removing the president would never happen in a democratic nation but the influence the military could exert would be astronomical. His party, like you pointed out hung him out to dry a long time ago and this is payback i guess. But sooner or latter won't the republicans also be looking for the same?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

I come from a military family. My little brothers in intellgence in the airforce. So I don't have a problem with it.

People for some reason think if they are in the military then it means they must be robotic killers who just want to go to war with everyone. Not really true. Alot of them seem to hate violence more then the common person since they know from expierence 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

Some clarification on my stances:

What I've said about Democrats on this forum goes way beyond the noodle doodling about Emails and Birth Certificates, and it's just as critical as anything I've said about Republicans.   So some people need to get a clue already and stop replying to me with ignorant replies that Obama is "my President", or Nancy Pelosi is "my gal", or "my party" et al, etc. etc.  

The reason why I go after the right wing a little more often is because this forum is a consensus roundtable for right wing talking points.    If UM's US forums were infested by left wing democrats instead, I'll take 9:1 odds there too.   Doesn't matter, because Left v Right doesn't matter.

I can't condemn Hillary a hundred times to even get credit for condemning her once, because there's some kind of willful blindness out there that I will ultimately get blamed for before the end.   It's as if, in order to truly oppose Hillary, Leftists, Democrats or Obama, I must swallow the right wing propaganda about every petty issue specially chosen for us to care about.  

Partisans from either R-land or L-ville, they assume this massive centralized misallocation of our money before they even start to argue!  Our policies of debt being piled up and excused away every year, and I have to excuse it away too, to engage in the itty bitty of whatever thing our media cooks up next?   Detractors condemn the media, but then run right to it for their next piece of gossip to get other people roused up about!?   It's illogical, what else am I supposed to think?  

Check this out:   If neither Left nor Right have the right answers, and if 80% of the partisanship in a given place is right-wing, then my target time spent should correlate to approximately 80%.    No apologies.  Nevertheless I'll get banned again if too many squeaky wheels squeak too loudly.  

On balance I don't dislike Mattis for Secretary of Defense.  Is that okay?   Am I tip toeing through the tulips carefully enough around here not to invoke a troll avalanche?

My stance is that All-Things-White-House are nothing about politics and everything about policy.   If people can't acknowledge and see that, I don't know what they're missing.    I will dislike Trump therefore if he sets Mattis loose upon the world because that's who makes and executes the policy.  It's not the good General's fault for following orders.  Right?   

If I was President Elect, I might appoint Mattis for Defense Sec. too. 

* GASP * 

This isn't Trump's worst appointment.   That banker's son from Goldman Sachs for Treasury Secretary?   No wonder nobody pays any attention to it, Jesus!   I should start another thread about him!

• Like 5

This just in from Breitbart:

"His interest in Native American history and culture, dating back to his youth in Washington, is legendary. “He was once asked which American Indian warrior he most respected. His answer was a tribe-by-tribe, chief-by-chief exposition spanning the first Seminole war to the surrender of the Lakota,” the New York Times recalled."

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/12/02/7-things-know-secretary-defense-nominee-james-mattis 

• Like 3

you know, i just wonder how there can even be liberals. to me they are just mouth agape cows or maybe robots, bloodbags. When i talk with them about the real world its like  at that point realize there are actually levels of human beings, and they are way low on that scale....that there is a reason why we have politicians and people in charge, because there are so many people who cannot actually think on their own about any real thing in any kind of logical manner that considers historical lessons and calculates future repercussions based on historical lessons negotiated with the current situation.

this general is a MAN's MAN. he obviously read Machiavelli and realizes that half the people out there are just cows if they are not properly educated. it is true that some people are complete wastes of time...when it comes to understanding of how the world really works.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, and then said:

I'm quite sure that the Left will go into meltdown mode over his brutal honesty.  

Good.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Just another example of how Trump doesn't know or care about the rules, because they have never applied to him...and are far less likely to at this point. 

No, this is just another example of how out of touch you are.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

War and violence damages your soul. You are never the same again. You lose who you were. 

Speak for yourself.  Maybe your soul, maybe you're never the same again, maybe you lose who you are.  But not others.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Speak for yourself.  Maybe your soul, maybe you're never the same again, maybe you lose who you are.  But not others.

Well, aren't you just Tough-Nut Terry.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Fedorable said:

Jeff.  Not Terry. :P 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lord Fedorable said:

------------->   images_74.jpg

• Like 2

Thor has a valid point.

As I said before everyone reacts to stress diffrent and expierences things diffrently 

• Like 3

I met this man on Christmas Day, in Ramadi, Iraq, as we were under the command of the 1st Marine Division.  He made it a point that day, to get out and meet with as many Soldiers as possible.  I was definitely impressed by him, and I like this pick.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Lilly said:

My opinion: Let's just say you're going to be in a dog fight with a crazed killer Pit Bull. Now, you have to bring a dog to this fight...do you bring a crazed killer Rottweiler or a fluffy little Poodle?

Trump wants to do in the crazed killer Pit Bull that's ISIS and he just picked himself a crazed killer Rottweiler to do the job. Good choice IMO.

I disagree with a couple of your suppositions.  First of all Gen. Mattis is not a crazed killer anything. He is a warrior with a great deal of self discipline, courage and honor. He does not endorse waterboarding and he is devoted to the welfare of his troops.  He is pragmatic in command. So far, he is the only Trump appointee that is aware of any duty larger than stroking an ego or getting as rich as possible.

I cannot speak for anyone else; I do not approve of all war, but I do respect veterans.  Some wars  are for the political gain or monetary enrichment of a few.  Those wars I oppose. Some wars need to be fought.  We need people like Gen. Mattis for those. Also, we need someone like Gen Mattis to remind us what duty and honor look like, very little of that has been or will be seen in Washington.

Even so, he may not be ideal for Sec Def.   He may not be able to divert his straight forward style into something more circumspect.  If Trump acts like an idiot, he will likely tell him so.  He is a soldier and in my view has not the patience to play the diplomat. Referring to Pentagon bureaucracy he has already said he hates that s**t.  He may not have much desire to deal with the  interminable and tedious details of  supply and deployment. He might be miserable, and I think his best talents may go to waste.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

you know, i just wonder how there can even be liberals. to me they are just mouth agape cows or maybe robots, bloodbags. When i talk with them about the real world its like  at that point realize there are actually levels of human beings, and they are way low on that scale....that there is a reason why we have politicians and people in charge, because there are so many people who cannot actually think on their own about any real thing in any kind of logical manner that considers historical lessons and calculates future repercussions based on historical lessons negotiated with the current situation.

Funny, that is what I think about ultra-conservatives too.   Both of you groups on the fringes of the spectrum are determined to believe the world is the way your limited view sees it.  At every intersection they turn left and you turn right.  Use those historical lessons you are talking about for more than self justification.

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

I met this man on Christmas Day, in Ramadi, Iraq, as we were under the command of the 1st Marine Division.  He made it a point that day, to get out and meet with as many Soldiers as possible.  I was definitely impressed by him, and I like this pick.

I read about that. Wasn't that just south of Bakalakadaka street?

12 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

He reminds me a lot of general Patton honestly 

Practically Blood and Guts reincarnated ....

:P

~

• Like 1