Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Yamato

Gen. "Mad Dog" Mattis Secretary of Defense

183 posts in this topic

aztek
2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

There is a reason I didnt include it in my original post, its an awful topic, men dont like dealing with it so any numbers you read about PTSD are going to be extremely skewed.  .  Im not being hyperbolic or antagonistic here , I deal with trauma for a living. I do believe a few can go through traumatic events without long lasting consequences but that is the absolute extreme minority. like i said its an awful topic, men dont like dealing with it so any numbers you read about PTSD are going to be extremely skewed. 

interesting.  my personal example is opposite of yours, but it is only my personal example.

• Like 1

South Alabam

As for Trumps pick, it's like an old military saying goes: "You negotiate with your enemy with your knife at his throat, and your knee in his chest."

But for ISIS and their brutality, I'd go a step further. No negotiations, no prisoners, kill them all. They have to be eradicated to stop the vile ideology.

• Like 4

Farmer77
3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Actually the majority can go through trauma without developing PTSD.

And in not trying to hurt your point or anything but I just what to bring to light to everyone that the majority of pepole with PTSD are women, from abuse and rape. Since everyone always thinks it the vets 

Oh no i totally agree that PTSD isnt just a veteran thing, a particular female in my life struggles with it quite often. I do argue the concept that the majority can go through extended major trauma like war without some levels of PTSD. Even if that means just a fundamental change in personality or sleep habits or ability to interact with others. 

Edited by Farmer77

South Alabam

The original post said if you start a war then youve already lost. If you are STARTING a war then your enemy wasnt trying to kill you. 

I read it, but misapplied it, my apologies.

• Like 3

aztek
5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The original post said if you start a war then youve already lost. If you are STARTING a war then your enemy wasnt trying to kill you. 

wars are not declared by the same people who fight them. those who fight do not really have a choice.wars are usually declared when all diplomacy failed, so if you do not declare one, chances are your opponent will,  in that case you might get advantage by attacking first,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

spartan max2
7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Oh no i totally agree that PTSD isnt just a veteran thing, a particular female in my life struggles with it quite often. I do argue the concept that the majority can go through extended major trauma like war without some levels of PTSD. Even if that means just a fundamental change in personality or sleep habits or ability to interact with others. 

The stats are 1 out of 5 combat veterans. Which is a large number but our society had a misconception that one traumatic expierence gives you PTSD, things affect people diffrently. People cope diffrent 

• Like 3

spartan max2
15 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Here are your stats 

http://recognizetrauma.bmobilized.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.recognizetrauma.org%2Fstatistics.php&width=360

60 percent of adults witnessed or expierenced trauma in their childhood.

But the childhood prevelance for PTSD is 5%

So the majority of people do not develop PTSD

Edited by spartan max2

Sir Wearer of Hats

Your Sec State needs to be a diplomat, your sec def needs to be the person who, when mentioned by the sec state, causes everyone else to wiggle uncompfortably and make people agree more readily with you. They need to be the stick to the Sec State'S carrot.

• Like 5

Farmer77
2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Here are your stats 

http://recognizetrauma.bmobilized.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.recognizetrauma.org%2Fstatistics.php&width=360

60 percent of adults witnessed or expierenced trauma in their childhood.

But the childhood prevelance for PTSD is 5%

So the majority of people do not develop PTSD

Yeah I was a little more specific in one of my later posts by saying massive prolonged trauma like war and should have been from the start. Although clearly it doesnt necessarily take that to inflict PTSD.

If you look at first responder PTSD rates I think  youll see a better representation. 

aztek

you mean when cops shot someone than sue their estate\family for ptsd from that shooting?

• Like 2

CrimsonKing
15 hours ago, -ZZ- said:

I long for the way it was a few decades ago when his cabinet position was Secretary of War.

Ah yes, the good old days.

What virtues would you expect to see Yam, from him? Rainbow dreams and Goldilocks temper? You neglected to reveal that he has the unmitigated gall to actually call our ENEMY by name. re: Radical Islamic Terrorists.

Heaven forbid he might do something to protect you and other American citizens. (Or have you denounced your citizenship yet?)

I voted for Trump so he could nominate a person such as this and to p*** people like you off.

I think this was,is,and will be his best pick!I love it!

I wouldn't be so hard on Yam though,he's actually one of the least partisan people on here...

He just likes to debate like hell and being like myself outside the two parties he has issues with certain stances...For him he goes after the right wing a lil more often as where i go after progressives more often.

Is what it is lol

• Like 2

Farmer77
15 minutes ago, aztek said:

you mean when cops shot someone than sue their estate\family for ptsd from that shooting?

Ironically I was just about to make another thread about that . .......IDK maybe I am wrong , maybe everyone I work with is a sick and twisted **** by genetics (myself included) outside of PTSD I can live with that

CrimsonKing
6 hours ago, Ashotep said:

The Iraq war we started, they had nothing to do with 9/11.  We meddled in Libya, Syria, funded rebels that are now terrorists.  We supported the Muslim Brotherhood and look what happened in Egypt.  We have a big hand in what is going on.

You are correct :tu:

And all of this that we are currently dealing with in the ME goes back to shortly after WW2,the constant meddling over there goes back farther than most really grasp...

• Like 4

aztek

Ironically I was just about to make another thread about that . ......

remember walter scott? black man  killed in the back while running away, well the jury deadlocked, the cop may very well walk away from it, and possibly sue his family.

CrimsonKing
1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

He reminds me a lot of general Patton honestly 

I thought the same thing :tu:

Farmer77
5 minutes ago, aztek said:

remember walter scott? black man  killed in the back while running away, well the jury deadlocked, the cop may very well walk away from it, and possibly sue his family.

Yeah I read that, its really just sad at this point. I know its late in the day when my rage for this kind of thing dissipates into sadness, i think ill start the new thread in the AM 

Have a good night. 

Captain Risky
15 hours ago, and then said:

He sounds like a realist to me.  When your occupation is to deal death to the nation's enemies, this guy seems the type to rely on.  I'm quite sure that the Left will go into meltdown mode over his brutal honesty.  

You don't think that Trump is going too hard in surrounding himself with military types? If i was an American I'd be a little worried at Trump looking more and more a dictator rather than a confident president. 

• Like 1

aztek

lol, as an american i know our president is basically a spokesperson, and a face of the country, there are few things that prohibit any us president to become a dictator. if obama could he would be. but he could not even do much about guns.

it seems to me none Americans overestimate his abilities, and powers. also i have no doubt hillary would do most of the things same way. 

• Like 2

Captain Risky

The article is slightly old but it shows the extent to which Trump has turned from his own party to fill important posts in his administration to filling it with military types. 

More than any other president-elect in recent memory, Donald Trump has sought out military brass to populate his inner circle. Trump met Monday with retired Army Gen.David Petraeus, a contender for secretary of state. He is also considering retired Marine Gen.James Mattis as a potential defense secretary, retired Marine Gen.John Kelly for secretary of state or homeland security, and Adm. Mike Rogers as the director of national intelligence. His national security adviser-designate, Michael Flynn, retired from the Army as a lieutenant general after decades as a military intelligence officer. And CIA Director-designate Mike Pompeo graduated from West Point and served during the Cold War as an Army officer.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/trump-is-surrounding-himself-with-generals-that-s-dangerous-1.442109

Captain Risky
6 minutes ago, aztek said:

lol, as an american i know our president is basically a spokesperson, and a face of the country, there are few things that prohibit any us president to become a dictator. if obama could he would be. but he could not even do much about guns.

it seems to me none Americans overestimate his abilities, and powers. also i have no doubt hillary would do most of the things same way. 

Maybe you're right about Hillary. But that's neither here nor there. 

• Like 1

CrimsonKing
7 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

The article is slightly old but it shows the extent to which Trump has turned from his own party to fill important posts in his administration to filling it with military types. 

More than any other president-elect in recent memory, Donald Trump has sought out military brass to populate his inner circle. Trump met Monday with retired Army Gen.David Petraeus, a contender for secretary of state. He is also considering retired Marine Gen.James Mattis as a potential defense secretary, retired Marine Gen.John Kelly for secretary of state or homeland security, and Adm. Mike Rogers as the director of national intelligence. His national security adviser-designate, Michael Flynn, retired from the Army as a lieutenant general after decades as a military intelligence officer. And CIA Director-designate Mike Pompeo graduated from West Point and served during the Cold War as an Army officer.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/trump-is-surrounding-himself-with-generals-that-s-dangerous-1.442109

What would you prefer him to do?Fill these important positions with community organizers?

That worked out real well for our presidency the past 8 years... :rolleyes:

As Aztek mentioned the American president isn't this all powerful being many outsiders seem to have been taught he is in their countries.

I have read absolutely hysterical responses in this forum about our presidency!

• Like 4

Captain Risky
8 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

What would you prefer him to do?Fill these important positions with community organizers?

That worked out real well for our presidency the past 8 years... :rolleyes:

As Aztek mentioned the American president isn't this all powerful being many outsiders seem to have been taught he is in their countries.

I have read absolutely hysterical responses in this forum about our presidency!

Hmmm... America run by social workers. A bit extreme. If you think that its normal that an incoming president is surrounding himself with the army is normal then who am i to complain. I thought lets make America great again was about the economy? 

Edited by Silver_Lyre
  • Like 1

CrimsonKing
18 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

Hmmm... America run by social workers. A bit extreme. If you think that its normal that an incoming president is surrounding himself with the army is normal then who am i to complain. I thought lets make America great again was about the economy? 

There is a s*** load of positions for an incoming pres to fill!

Naturally some would/could/should be former military leaders,i'm sorry if it sounds insane to outsiders that a former general should have say in military matters...

Maybe a community organizer and former head chef would be better qualified to deal with our countries military... :unsure2:

Edited by CrimsonKing
spelling
  • Like 5

Captain Risky
3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

There is a s*** load of positions for an incoming pres to fill!

Naturally some would/could/should be former military leaders,i'm sorry if it sounds insane to outsiders that a former general should have say in military matters...

Maybe a community organizer a former head chef would be better qualified to deal with our countries military... :unsure2:

I noticed Gorden Ramsey didn't get a cabinet position. :)

• Like 1

CrimsonKing
9 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

I noticed Gorden Ramsey didn't get a cabinet position. :)

:lol:

Wasn't trying to come off as a ass in my previous post,you usually come off as more inquisitive than condeming in other countries affairs unlike some others and i can respect that :tu: Hell what's really sad is how some of our own country men/women don't understand certain limits to power...

Hell i really just dropped in to say i really liked this pick,on the other hand i will be mad as hell if Romney gets a top job!

Then again Trump may prove wise if he picks Romney for a job,kinda the whole "keep your friends close,keep your enemies closer" sorta deal.

I dunno,only time will tell...

• Like 2