Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Baby It's Cold Outside" to be re-written?

Lilly

Just now, Farmer77 said:

It seems mildly date rapey to me but as Lilly pointed out it could be viewed as seduction as well. 

For the record its one of my favorite holiday songs 

no where did i read that the man was going to rape her.  just asked her to stay in out of the cold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danielost said:

no where did i read that the man was going to rape her.  just asked her to stay in out of the cold.

Its in how he is pushing her to stay and in her asking whats in the drink (implying he spiked it)  and him pushing more drinks on her I do believe its totally a generational thing. What was considered OK when I was a kid has now become considered date rape.

Edited by Farmer77

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Its in how he is pushing her to stay and in her asking whats in the drink (implying he spiked it)  and him pushing more drinks on her I do believe its totally a generational thing. What was considered OK when I was a kid has now become considered date rape.

date rape is rape.  this man is not forcing himself on her.  most drinks in songs are booze.

This is why these lefties are all out morons. They waste their time on garbage like this instead of actually doing anything real that helps anyone.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, danielost said:

i'm older than you watch christmas shows all my life.  never heard of it.

It's not from a Christmas movie or show... at all.

It was originally written by a husband and wife in 1944 as a parlor song to bid goodnight to their party guests.. It's not just a personal call and response cajoling, it's also a host and guests cajoling. And then appeared in the comedy musical Neptune's Daughter. Twice actually, once sung with a man as "wolf" and a woman as "mouse", and the second time with a woman as "wolf" and a man as "mouse". And it's set in the tropics where there are guys hanging around in swimsuits. Thus part of the humor in commenting "baby, it's cold outside" as an excuse to stay in when it's actually hot outside.

And just from personal experience... I would recommend watching Neptune's Daughter, it's entertaining any time of year :tu:

After the popularity of the song in Neptune's Daughter it later developed into a popular winter-time song, then later fell into the Christmas time music category in general. It didn't really gain "repeat rotation" till 2003 when it appeared in it's first Christmas movie, Elf. It's been regularly recorded by other musicians to put into the "repeat rotation" portfolio of winter/holiday/Christmas music since then.

Edit to add... Here's both versions from the original comedy musical.. fun :)

Edited by rashore
  • Like 5

Oh man these folks are gonna be busy. There are thousands of songs written since then that are FAR worse then this. Some directly about actual date rape. I say let em go for it. They wont be able to change a single word in a single song, and maybe it will distract them from all the other dumb things they cry about.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, rashore said:

It's not from a Christmas movie or show... at all.

It was originally written by a husband and wife in 1944 as a parlor song to bid goodnight to their party guests.. It's not just a personal call and response cajoling, it's also a host and guests cajoling. And then appeared in the comedy musical Neptune's Daughter. Twice actually, once sung with a man as "wolf" and a woman as "mouse", and the second time with a woman as "wolf" and a man as "mouse". And it's set in the tropics where there are guys hanging around in swimsuits. Thus part of the humor in commenting "baby, it's cold outside" as an excuse to stay in when it's actually hot outside.

And just from personal experience... I would recommend watching Neptune's Daughter, it's entertaining any time of year :tu:

After the popularity of the song in Neptune's Daughter it later developed into a popular winter-time song, then later fell into the Christmas time music category in general. It didn't really gain "repeat rotation" till 2003 when it appeared in it's first Christmas movie, Elf. It's been regularly recorded by other musicians to put into the "repeat rotation" portfolio of winter/holiday/Christmas music since then.

Edit to add... Here's both versions from the original comedy musical.. fun :)

THANK YOU FOR THE SONG.  THIS UPSETS THOSE WHO DO SEX AT THE DROP OF A HAT.

Yea, who ever started this crap literally said they showered 7 times cause of how dirty they felt after listening to it. 7 times. I am beginning to feel sorry for these people. They are mentally ill. 

• Like 3

Stupid stupid stuff.    So now if anyone asks "what is in this drink" we should assume it is a date rape drug.  

So how did the couple change the lyrics?

The woman sings, “I really can’t stay,” the man responds, “Baby, I’m fine with that.” Later, she sings, “I ought to say no, no, no,” while he answers, “You reserve the right to say no.” Just to make sure the message doesn’t get lost, he repeats, “You reserve the right to say no” in the very next line.

• Like 3

I always hope and pray that these ridiculous stories are pranks. They sound like parodies of SJW sensitivities. They usually turn out to be real! It's like they come from a parallel universe where satire is real life. How can Mad Magazine or SNL make fun of this? It already seems like a comedy skit from 2000! We need to keep this kind of nonsense in PC joke books. If not, send the snowflakes back to their alternative reality where there are forty gender pronouns.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Her: but maybe just a half a drink more Him: (put some records on while I pour) Her: the neighbors might faint Him: (baby it's bad out there) Her: say what's in this drink Him: (no cabs to be had out there)

Whats in this drink has been taken by some to mean he spiked it and others say that his pushing her to stay combined with the pushing of alcohol equates to a date rape situation.  The article I posted does a mildly better job of explaining it. 

I'll believe that when Bill Cosby sings it it. Until then, not so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S I N said:

all taken out of context to twist it into something it is not about... you can do that with ANY song/story if your of a mind

That's a fair point. "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is about a creepy stalker who watches children while they sleep before he puts them on a naughty list or a nice list, and the old weirdo is a burglar who breaks and enters via chimneys. "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" mocks bullied people with rosacea. "Frosty The Snowman" pushes smoking (corn cob pipe) on kids. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That's a fair point. "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is about a creepy stalker who watches children while they sleep before he puts them on a naughty list or a nice list, and the old weirdo is a burglar who breaks and enters via chimneys. "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" mocks bullied people with rosacea. "Frosty The Snowman" pushes smoking (corn cob pipe) on kids. 

And let's not even get into what a racist song jingle bells is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

When did rape and seduction become one in the same thing?

Probably about the same time Gregory Peck slapped a woman causing her to fall into his arms in a display of uncontrolled lust.

I can't believe some people in this thread have never heard this song!  I think it's a great song..I can see how it can be seen as a little creepy though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

When did rape and seduction become one in the same thing? Now, I can see saying the song in question might be advocating seduction...but rape? Honestly, I think some people really need to 'get a life' as these folks seem (to me) to be grasping at straws.

You summed it up the best in this thread.

Apprently in today's world trying to seduce someone is the same thing as rape.

• Like 1

I took the "what's in this drink" line in the song as her saying she is feeling really good and getting close to changing her mind so she jokingly was blaming it on the drinks.

It's actually like a totally normal thing to say.

But if you're looking for offense and rape in everything then I'm sure you can find it. Half the women complaing about this song probably have never been courted by men.

If what the guy in this song did somehow counts as rape them I'm a rapist apprently 

Edited by spartan max2

People need to learn the meaning of context. It was a different, more innocent time in Hollywood movies. There was no rape innuendo and they would be shocked to think it would be considered as such. A lot of Marilyn Monroe and other old movies should be considered much worse to feminists.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Oh man these folks are gonna be busy. There are thousands of songs written since then that are FAR worse then this. Some directly about actual date rape. I say let em go for it. They wont be able to change a single word in a single song, and maybe it will distract them from all the other dumb things they cry about.

No. Some people over react. Then other people over react.

Situation normal.

33 minutes ago, Michelle said:

A lot of Marilyn Monroe and other old movies should be considered much worse to feminists.

Actually, I thought  that she carried both strength and vulnerability in equal swell..

That's what made her attractive.

Edited by Likely Guy

In things like this I also have to point out if the genders were reversed in the song I bet no one would of even thought of a rape connection.

If the women was saying baby it's cold out side 

15 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Actually, I thought  that she carried both strength and vulnerability in equal swell..

That's what made her attractive.

Granted, it's been a very long time since I've seen How to Marry a Millionaire, but the title should be enough to draw ire.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Granted, it's been a very long time since I've seen How to Marry a Millionaire, but the title should be enough to draw ire.

A lesser known title. 'Bus Stop' was her best role IMHO.

Edited by Likely Guy