Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ISIS recapture Palmyra

bmk1245

Islamic State militants capture Palmyra despite heavy Russian strikes

Islamic State captured the ancient city of Palmyra on Sunday despite dozens of Russian airstrikes to push back the militants a day after they briefly seized the city in eastern Syria, a war monitor and the militants said.

In the government's first official admission that Palmyra had fallen once again to the militants, state media quoted the governor of the province of Homs, where the city is located, as saying the army had pulled out of the city.

Read more

Crappy news.

• Like 2

yup ... as worse as bad comes ...

~

• Like 2

Thats war for you. losses and gains.... Im still optimistic ISIS will be pushed back, slaughtered, from all zones/towns in the end... they have a huge recruitment crisis... one story I read showed new recruits....old men and small boys.. so they are scraping the barrel now

• Like 2

I'm still mightily curious as to how they can keep supplying themselves with weapons and munitions ... aside from plundering and looting of course ...

~

• Like 5

Just goes to restate that airpower doesn't gain or hold ground alone.  

• Like 1

I've read that the Syrian Army is waiting for reinforcement before reentering Palmyra. It seems they were taken by surprise, as all eyes are on Aleppo. That seems to be the top priority, in terms of strategic importance. Or maybe it's all part of a calculated move. A necessery drawback.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

I'm still mightily curious as to how they can keep supplying themselves with weapons and munitions ... aside from plundering and looting of course ...

~

Sometimes a post is so good you wish you could like it twice.:yes:

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 2

The news from last Thursday...........

The fight in Palmyra comes one day after U.S.-led coalition forces announced U.S. warplanes destroyed a fleet of 168 oil tanker trucks near the ancient city in the largest such strike against the terror group's finances this year.

More than 20 aircraft were used to destroy the tanker trucks. The oil in the trucks was worth about $2 million, according to a statement.

The airstrike, launched Thursday, is part of an operation to reduce revenues for the militant group. The Islamic State gets 25% of its revenue from oil, the Center for the Analysis of Terrorism, a private research group, estimates.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/12/10/islamic-state-militants-re-enter-syrias-historic-palmyra/95257038/

The news today! 

Here's bmk1245's OP once again..........

Islamic State militants capture Palmyra despite heavy Russian strikes

Islamic State captured the ancient city of Palmyra on Sunday despite dozens of Russian airstrikes to push back the militants a day after they briefly seized the city in eastern Syria, a war monitor and the militants said.

In the government's first official admission that Palmyra had fallen once again to the militants, state media quoted the governor of the province of Homs, where the city is located, as saying the army had pulled out of the city.

Someone or many politicians in Washington D.C. are missing an important warning! 

What do the two news releases have in common? It's very obvious from last Thursday to today that US and Russian war planes are sharing the same air space. Maybe not in the same time frame but the US was warned sometime ago by Russia not to be flying missions anywhere near where they are flying.:no:

In this modern age of jet fighters your adversary is not in view and the plane's computers could have their own way suggesting to the pilots what to do next!

It could be that the many non combatant evil minds in the Middle East AND elsewhere are playing the two super powers like a fiddle over Syria and Iraq! Being "played like a fiddle" is American slang for being taken advantage of in a very easy way.

MK

3 hours ago, Malaria_Kidd said:

the US was warned sometime ago by Russia not to be flying missions anywhere near where they are flying.

I would not have been surprised if Putin allowed a shoot-down during Obama's watch.  I doubt it will happen under Trump's.  Putin has achieved a great victory just by his buildup of forces in Syria.  He won't risk war over a situation that is going his way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seeder said:

Thats war for you. losses and gains.... Im still optimistic ISIS will be pushed back, slaughtered, from all zones/towns in the end... they have a huge recruitment crisis... one story I read showed new recruits....old men and small boys.. so they are scraping the barrel now

What was gained in two months, was lost in few days. With that sort of stuff, Russia is facing Afghanistan 2.0...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

First of all, there are enough Bouts willing to sell arms to anyone who pays the right price.

Secondly, if we believe reports, ISIS thugs seized some serious stuff in Palmyra, including tanks T-55, even Shilka, and other armaments.

• Like 1

President Putin get's lots of bad press on radio and TV news  but I don't see him ordering such a hit. Kamchatka Island, Russia comes to mind now, among too many others like it, with the Korean airliner shot down. It was bad call by the Soviet Union's pilot and command HQ to release a missile into a supposedly straying off course of the KAL Boeing 747 airliner carrying it's full complement of passengers so innocent as the crew.:( Lots of conspiracies come to play in those disasters caused by who, where, what, and why with many questions that seldom get answered.

MK

Thanks to and then for the quoting the line.......B) There were replies coming in X 2 before I closed this note.

8 hours ago, Kismit said:

Sometimes a post is so good you wish you could like it twice.:yes:

Thanks be to ye kindly ...

~

2 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

First of all, there are enough Bouts willing to sell arms to anyone who pays the right price.

Secondly, if we believe reports, ISIS thugs seized some serious stuff in Palmyra, including tanks T-55, even Shilka, and other armaments.

No offense but that's kinda bit of shallow and a juvenile overview not to mention a wee tad too Hollywood convenient ... let's say you got yourself a yuuuuge pile of cash is willing to pay the right price and more ... I doubt you'll get anywhere near the kind of stash of 'supplies' this idiots are able to get their hands on.

In regards to the 'seizing' of the heavy and 'serious' armaments, there's still that problem of capable personnel to be able to handle or utilizing them efficiently. Anyhow, that further compounds the problems for these lunatics than is helpful because in terms of strategy, I doubt they have that strategy to work it all into their plans ... unless you are suggesting a bit of Hollywood magic where by just squeezing a trigger or flipping a switch and whatever they are pointing at miraculously blows up just in time for the end credits ... yaaaay ...

~

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

What was gained in two months, was lost in few days. With that sort of stuff, Russia is facing Afghanistan 2.0...

This could be all part of a calculated move. Taking the risk to loose Palmyra (temporarily) to mobilize as much troops as possible in Aleppo, which is of greater stategic importance for the Syrian governement. It's depressing to see Palmyra fall once again to these ISIS scumbags but once Aleppo is secured, they will surely send more reinforcement to dislodge them once and for all.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

19 hours ago, third_eye said:

Thanks be to ye kindly ...

~

No offense but that's kinda bit of shallow and a juvenile overview not to mention a wee tad too Hollywood convenient ... let's say you got yourself a yuuuuge pile of cash is willing to pay the right price and more ... I doubt you'll get anywhere near the kind of stash of 'supplies' this idiots are able to get their hands on.

In regards to the 'seizing' of the heavy and 'serious' armaments, there's still that problem of capable personnel to be able to handle or utilizing them efficiently. Anyhow, that further compounds the problems for these lunatics than is helpful because in terms of strategy, I doubt they have that strategy to work it all into their plans ... unless you are suggesting a bit of Hollywood magic where by just squeezing a trigger or flipping a switch and whatever they are pointing at miraculously blows up just in time for the end credits ... yaaaay ...

~

How real thug behind real bars for real deeds is juvenile/Hollywood, huh?

And do you seriously think that amongst ISIS there are no folks, capable of handling tanks? I wonder, how they did it before...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

This could be all part of a calculated move. Taking the risk to loose Palmyra (temporarily) to mobilize as much troops as possible in Aleppo, which is of greater stategic importance for the Syrian governement. It's depressing to see Palmyra fall once again to these ISIS scumbags but once Aleppo is secured, they will surely send more reinforcement to dislodge them once and for all.

Yeah, and while they will battle for Palmyra once again, Aleppo will be lost again, and so on...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Yeah, and while they will battle for Palmyra once again, Aleppo will be lost again, and so on...

well the dead ones wont get up to fight again, and ISIS have a growing shortage of fighters. They will be obliterated Im sure

this was back in May

Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all ISIS forces – Russian deputy security chief

We estimate that at the beginning of our operation Al-Nusra Front and Islamic State [IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL] possessed about 80,000 fighters, of whom 28,000 (35 percent) have already been eliminated. This is [the result of] our actions together with the Syrian Army,” Evgeny Lukyanov said at the VII international security summit being held in Grozny, the capital of Russia’s Chechen Republic.

https://www.rt.com/news/344214-russia-killed-isis-militants/

5 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

How real thug behind real bars for real deeds is juvenile/Hollywood, huh?

The numbers don't dance to what you are claiming is what I am saying ... and you are avoiding the key numbers ... how many years are you saying here ?

So now you have a 'real' thug behind bars ... your mental work is done ? Pack it up folks ... none the need to ask any more questions ... its the thugs ... carry on

~ but of course you don't see any problem with that ...

5 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

And do you seriously think that amongst ISIS there are no folks, capable of handling tanks? I wonder, how they did it before...

That's right ... I wonder too ... isn't that wonderful ?

Now how many folks you know are capable of handling tanks ? Not Hollywood tanks mind you ... then think about handling tanks in a fight ... how many years does it take for someone in the Army nowadays to really know how to handle one of these tanks nowadays ?

I don;t think its point and click yet ... at least not yet .... nyet ?

~

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

The numbers don't dance to what you are claiming is what I am saying ... and you are avoiding the key numbers ... how many years are you saying here ?

So now you have a 'real' thug behind bars ... your mental work is done ? Pack it up folks ... none the need to ask any more questions ... its the thugs ... carry on

~ but of course you don't see any problem with that ...

[...]

Remember ISIS making $3 millions a day? Or maybe you think there are no shady persons/companies willing to supply ISIS with weapons?

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

[...]

That's right ... I wonder too ... isn't that wonderful ?

Now how many folks you know are capable of handling tanks ? Not Hollywood tanks mind you ... then think about handling tanks in a fight ... how many years does it take for someone in the Army nowadays to really know how to handle one of these tanks nowadays ?

I don;t think its point and click yet ... at least not yet .... nyet ?

~

Are you THAT thick? Tell Kurds they were being shelled by Hollywood/imaginary tanks, artillery, rockets. Tell YPG they were blowing up Hollywood/imaginary tanks. Remember, Kobani siege? Or that was Hollywood too, huh?

If what had been claimed have been captured by ISIS in Palmyra (44 tanks, 7 BMP, SA S-125, crates of munition, etc), thats bad, very bad.

Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Palmyra is far in the desert. It's importance is mostly symbolical (ancient archeological ruins) though it also serves as a foothold in northern Syria en route to Raqqa. But the battle of Aleppo is the top priority right now. Recapturing it would break the back of the al-qaeda/FSA rebels and effectively end the civil war that started in 2011. Still, it's another exemple of why U.S-Russia cooperation matters. While Russian planes were too busy in Aleppo, the U.S. military probably could have seriously impeded ISIS forces from even reaching Palmyra.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

This is tragic. So much history in Palmyra, lost to ultraconservative barbarians who hate history, education, and anyone who minorly disagrees with them.