Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ISIS recapture Palmyra

bmk1245

4 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Remember ISIS making $3 millions a day? Or maybe you think there are no shady persons/companies willing to supply ISIS with weapons?

Ahhhh ... now we are getting somewhere ... please elaborate ... who are these shady persons that you speak of ?

What are these companies that manufacture these weapons ?

~

4 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Are you THAT thick? Tell Kurds they were being shelled by Hollywood/imaginary tanks, artillery, rockets. Tell YPG they were blowing up Hollywood/imaginary tanks. Remember, Kobani siege? Or that was Hollywood too, huh?

You are missing the point again ... who are these so called 'ISIS' fighters that knows how to handle and work these highly tech weaponry of modern warfare ?

Surely not Ahmed that goat herder from inner whatevertistan ?

~

11 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Palmyra is far in the desert. It's importance is mostly symbolical (ancient archeological ruins) though it also serves as a foothold in northern Syria en route to Raqqa. But the battle of Aleppo is the top priority right now. Recapturing it would break the back of the al-qaeda/FSA rebels and effectively end the civil war that started in 2011. Still, it's another exemple of why U.S-Russia cooperation matters. [...]

For that mostly symbolical place pro-Assad forces fought for two months. Whole bunch of medals were given for Palmyra capture...

And don't forget, there are many gas fields around Palmyra, so longer ISIS will keep that area, more money they will earn. Not to mention spoils of war ISIS taken there.

11 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

[...] While Russian planes were too busy in Aleppo, the U.S. military probably could have seriously impeded ISIS forces from even reaching Palmyra.

... and US military have their own busy playground in Mosul.

9 hours ago, third_eye said:

Ahhhh ... now we are getting somewhere ... please elaborate ... who are these shady persons that you speak of ?

What are these companies that manufacture these weapons ?

~

You are missing the point again ... who are these so called 'ISIS' fighters that knows how to handle and work these highly tech weaponry of modern warfare ?

Surely not Ahmed that goat herder from inner whatevertistan ?

~

OK, I see that you just trolling.

37 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Its now been recaptured by Syrian and Russian forces

So far, I only see (from FarsNews) ISIS attacks being repelled from T4 airbase (~ 40 km west of Palmyra).

Edited by bmk1245

3 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

OK, I see that you just trolling.

Oh come now ... and you were already so close to sniffing out the stink ... pretending that all this is due to a bunch of stupid lunatics playing Allah's favorite heroes bound for Syurga can only solve part of the problem ... and a very small part I might add ... if their supplies of arms and weapons are cut off, all the oilfields and stash of cash as high as Mount Olympia wont help them none ....

Maybe they won because their faith, dedication is stronger or someone read and understood art of war. there are plenty of examples in history were a small force effectively won or defend a piece of land one being the battle of bulge where small American force held off a large German force, or Finland which held Russian forces. let me tell you I am no expert yet but lots of movies, documentaries show that how American or Russian forces loose morale and start contemplating why are we fighting this war whom are we fighting for whereas I believe ISIS know they are fighting for glory of God and they will be granted heaven and they fight long and hard for decades, USA is slowly pulling from Iraq and Afghanistan. Sometimes I  think an fighting force with best equipment heavily funded can't beat a force which basically has few guns and mortars. who knows maybe one day a group like ISIS will rule over the world. 

2 hours ago, kartikg said:

Maybe they won because their faith, dedication is stronger or someone read and understood art of war. there are plenty of examples in history were a small force effectively won or defend a piece of land one being the battle of bulge where small American force held off a large German force, or Finland which held Russian forces. let me tell you I am no expert yet but lots of movies, documentaries show that how American or Russian forces loose morale and start contemplating why are we fighting this war whom are we fighting for whereas I believe ISIS know they are fighting for glory of God and they will be granted heaven and they fight long and hard for decades, USA is slowly pulling from Iraq and Afghanistan. Sometimes I  think an fighting force with best equipment heavily funded can't beat a force which basically has few guns and mortars. who knows maybe one day a group like ISIS will rule over the world

Ugh.  Reads like you support ISIS.  I'm sure that's not what you meant.  And no, theirs no chance that they'll rule the world.

Let's not forget that Arab armies, armed forces from the ME and North Africa--aside from Israel--are the worst trained, worst led and worst motivated combat forces in the entire world.  So it wouldn't take much for a bunch of zealous terrorists like ISIS to be successful.  On the flip side, they're just as bad as their opponents, so it won't take much to send them packing as well.  That's why this conflict is the way it is.

Send in the US, Russia, or even Israel, each fully mobilized and willing to actually fight hard to win, and ISIS would easily crumple and collapse on the field of battle.

Losing Palmyra isn't surprising.  I'm sure that ISIS will end up losing it sometime soon as well.  And then regain it.  And it will continue until one side ultimately prevails.  Let's hope it's not ISIS.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

For that mostly symbolical place pro-Assad forces fought for two months. Whole bunch of medals were given for Palmyra capture...

It's bad, no doubt. No one will disagree with you there. They simply didn't have the manpower to effectively defend Palmyra while fierce battling for a huge urban center like Aleppo, where al-qaeda rebels no doubt still receive foreign support and are well-entrenched fighting for their lives, at the same time. But I don't think it's a setback that can't be adressed eventually. Take back Aleppo and send reinforcement ASAP.

And don't forget, there are many gas fields around Palmyra, so longer ISIS will keep that area, more money they will earn. Not to mention spoils of war ISIS taken there.

... and US military have their own busy playground in Mosul.

Make no mistake, the U.S. military has fighter jets dedicated to Syria. Their satellites and drones would have picked up the movement of 5,000 ISIS militants and equipement from Raqqa to Palmyra, yet they didn't lift a finger. It's about time for a change of policy.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

• 1 month later...

Islamic State destroys famous monument in Syria's Palmyra: antiquities chief

Islamic State militants have destroyed one of the most famous monuments in the ancient city of Palmyra, the Tetrapylon, and the facade of its Roman Theatre, Syrian antiquities chief Maamoun Abdulkarim told Reuters on Friday.

The Syrian government lost control of Palmyra to Islamic State in December, the second time the jihadist group had overrun the UNESCO world heritage site in the six-year-long Syrian conflict.

Read more...

Fighting for Palmyra lasted for two months, then Palmyra was lost in few days (leaving stashes of weapons for ISIS). Now its more than a month later, and Palmyra still in ISIS hands...

Kinda funny, Russkies are that "eager" to fight ISIS, that they аre withdrawing some of their forces from Syria, when ISIS thugs are still at large, and are wrecking quite havoc in Deir ez-Zor... And ar-Raqqa still in hands of ISIS. How long it will take for Russkies to see ISIS the way they see HAMAS, i.e. friends? I'd give few months till Lavrov will french-kiss (in Brezhnev style) one of the ISIS leaders...

25 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

I'd give few months till Lavrov will french-kiss (in Brezhnev style) one of the ISIS leaders...

Yeccchh...now you've put in my mind the image of Lavrov with his tongue down John McCain's throat.

Not exactly the way I wanted to start my day...

8 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Yeccchh...now you've put in my mind the image of Lavrov with his tongue down John McCain's throat.

Not exactly the way I wanted to start my day...

Sorry...

On 1/20/2017 at 0:04 PM, bmk1245 said:

Fighting for Palmyra lasted for two months, then Palmyra was lost in few days (leaving stashes of weapons for ISIS). Now its more than a month later, and Palmyra still in ISIS hands...

I think you need to look at the bright side and see how much grounds the jihadists lost in 2016. Assad now govern all of ''useful Syria'', the urban centers where the bulk of the population reside. He's there to stay, and assure some stability which is what Russia probably wanted first.

If you want a look at where they are busy right now:

[LINK] Syrian Army Launches Large Scale Campaign Against ISIS-Daesh In Aleppo Province

Edited by TruthSeeker_

21 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

I think you need to look at the bright side and see how much grounds the jihadists lost in 2016. Assad now govern all of ''useful Syria'', the urban centers where the bulk of the population reside. He's there to stay, and assure some stability which is what Russia probably wanted first.

If you want a look at where they are busy right now:

[LINK] Syrian Army Launches Large Scale Campaign Against ISIS-Daesh In Aleppo Province

To Syrian/Russian coalition? Just Aleppo and neighborhoods.

North regions were freed by Kurds/SDF militias, and some Northern areas - by Turks.

To not create separate thread, I'll post it here, as its Syria related.

[...]

Russian military experts in Astana also started work on separating armed opposition groups from terrorist organizations. They were particularly able to map the boundary lines between areas held by the opposition and regions occupied by IS and Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, according to the head of the Russian delegation in Astana, Aleksandr Lavrentiev.

[...]

Read full story...

Heh, Russkies are working with ISIS/terrorists to fight ISIS/terrorists...

I guess, Russkie lovers went catatonic...

isis should be wiped out entirely. ANY imam who promotes ANYTHING in line with these radical groups should be picked up and never seen in public ever again. We should investigate how much money is invested by Saudi, gulf states into the promotion of wahabism and the building of mosques world wide and effectively target their efforts.

• Like 1

On 2017-01-26 at 6:13 AM, bmk1245 said:

To not create separate thread, I'll post it here, as its Syria related.

Heh, Russkies are working with ISIS/terrorists to fight ISIS/terrorists...

I guess, Russkie lovers went catatonic...

Russia has done what the West simply failed to accomplish: distinguish a legitimate opposition from all the jihadist rebels trying to invade Syria. Not an easy task given the fact that they are few and far between. It's unfortunate that by taking the dogmatic position that ''Assad must go'' at all cost under the Obama administration, the U.S. has become completely irrevelant in peace negotiations.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 6:54 PM, TruthSeeker_ said:

Russia has done what the West simply failed to accomplish: distinguish a legitimate opposition from all the jihadist rebels trying to invade Syria. Not an easy task given the fact that they are few and far between. It's unfortunate that by taking the dogmatic position that ''Assad must go'' at all cost under the Obama administration, the U.S. has become completely irrevelant in peace negotiations.

Ah, thats sweet... Wait, weren't you the one painting with the same ISIS brush all anti Assadists. Now you are saying there is opposition (not ISIS and terrorists)? I love Russkie lovers for their 'quick skin change'. Who wouldn't?

6 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Ah, thats sweet... Wait, weren't you the one painting with the same ISIS brush all anti Assadists. Now you are saying there is opposition (not ISIS and terrorists)? I love Russkie lovers for their 'quick skin change'. Who wouldn't?

The vast majority of anti-Assad rebels fighting in Syria are radical islamists. That has never been into question. But there is, I think, some sort of 'sane opposition' that can be negotiated with. I just don't believe they are much of a relevant force on the ground.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

5 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

The vast majority of anti-Assad rebels fighting in Syria are radical islamists. That has never been into question. But there is, I think, some sort of legitimate opposition that can be negotiated with. I just don't believe they are much of a relevant force on the ground.

False.  What you say is just not true.  By the way, your moniker reminds me of "Pravda," (truth) a newspaper of lies.  Liars tend to do that.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:54 PM, TruthSeeker_ said:

Russia has engaged in mass murder for the purpose of keeping its puppet in power.

13 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

False.  What you say is just not true.  By the way, your moniker reminds me of "Pravda," (truth) a newspaper of lies.  Liars tend to do that.

Of course you can't demonstrate anything as usual, while I've provided plenty of evidence in the past that most of so-called ''moderate'' rebels are islamists linked to Al-Qaeda. Petty words like ''Liar, False, Abomination!'' seems like the best you can do. Go on buying into the Western ''regime change'' propaganda, my good Frank.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

2 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Of course you can't demonstrate anything as usual, while I've provided plenty of evidence in the past that most of so-called ''moderate'' rebels are islamists linked to Al-Qaeda. Petty words like ''Liar, False, Abomination!'' seems like the best you can do. Go on buying into the Western ''regime change'' propaganda, my good Frank.

You made the assertion.  I know better, and so does most of the world.  Now support what you said or shut up.