Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

simple psychic test

kartikg

1 minute ago, kartikg said:

Nope its a natural number.

That's good to know. But Pi  would have been good.

• Like 1

Kizzy pie is always good. Kartikg messaged me and I am the official holder of the number :ph34r:

• Like 3

• Like 1

Dotty keeper of the sacred number, you hold great mysteries many could never even guess at. For you are small but mighty :nw:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Kartikg , , how many guesses can I have?

a true psychic doesn't guess. everyone should get only one chance. so your turns are over

• Like 1

Dam, I think Kismit was onto it...  I reckon she was almost there..!

But I think I see a flaw in this...  Where exactly is the subjective judgement that is absolutely required for psychic readings???

You cannot possibly expect any psychic claimant to get interested in something scientific and simple and genuinely random and for which there is no chance to skew the results...

We need Dean Radin or Rupert Sheldrake to set up a test!  Then the psychics (including dogs who know their owners are coming home (that's an in-joke..)) will flock to the test.  They will be very interested in helping with the judgement process and teaching others how to get matches even when the match isn't at all obvious........

(Gee, I hope I didn't let on that I was being a little sarcastic/cynical..)

BTW, kartikg, I have to be a nitpicker.  If you get to choose the number, then that does in fact skew the randomness.  Think about it - if you were deliberately trying to help the claimant, you could have put subtle clues in your posts, and similarly if you want to think up a difficult to guess number, then I can think of a few criteria for that too (I'd rather not divulge how, for reasons that might become clear later in this thread...).  It would be better to start a suitable random number generator, and then look away for a while and then stop it without looking, so that it is genuinely random.  (It's actually quite difficult to create a truly random number, but there are ways..)

Anyway, my guess?  83,405Of course................

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Dam, I think Kismit was onto it...  I reckon she was almost there..!

. ut I think I see a flaw in this...  . Where exactly is the subjective judgement that is absolutely required for psychic readings???

You cannot possibly expect any psychic claimant to get interested in something scientific and simple and genuinely random and for which there is no chance to skew the results...

We need Dean Radin or Rupert Sheldrake to set up a test!  Then the psychics (including dogs who know their owners are coming home (that's an in-joke..)) will flock to the test.  They will be very interested in helping with the judgement process and teaching others how to get matches even when the match isn't at all obvious........

(Gee, I hope I didn't let on that I was being a little sarcastic/cynical..)

BTW, kartikg, I have to be a nitpicker.  If you get to choose the number, then that does in fact skew the randomness.  Think about it - if you were deliberately trying to help the claimant, you could have put subtle clues in your posts, and similarly if you want to think up a difficult to guess number, then I can think of a few criteria for that too (I'd rather not divulge how, for reasons that might become clear later in this thread...).  It would be better to start a suitable random number generator, and then look away for a while and then stop it without looking, so that it is genuinely random.  (It's actually quite difficult to create a truly random number, but there are ways..)

Anyway, my guess?  83,405Of course................

A psychic will say random number generator is an inanimate object with no consciousness and hence has no energy  or something like that, so I choose a number and I am thinking about it to maximize or skew the test in favor of psychics. 

Just now, kartikg said:

A psychic will say random number generator is an inanimate object with no consciousness and hence has no energy  or something like that, so I choose a number and I am thinking about it to maximize or skew the test in favor of psychics. 

Fairy nuff.  BTW, you can stop it now and tell everyone I was right, if you want...  no point letting it drag on once the truth is out there.....  :D

Theoretically, If 50,000 people all posted a different number, there would be a 50% chance that one person could get the number correct. How will they prove if they were actually psychic or just plain lucky?

That's my legit attempt.

Edited by Kismit

50 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Theoretically, If 50,000.  people all posted a different number, there would be a 50% chance that one person could get the number correct. How will they prove if they were actually psychic or just plain lucky?

That's my legit attempt.

well that's pretty easy the person or persons who got it right can be made to test again . Anyway I don't see 50k psychics attemptIno, hardly 2 or 3 have tried, let's see by tomorrow how many psychic will attempt

• Like 1

Well, I think that the problem with numbers, zener cards, etc., is the fact, that these tests have been designed by the "isolated" intellect, without taking into account how mind works and how it develops. In brief, guessing a specific message, such as an address, a number, and things like this, is too ambitious, beause it takes a great deal of different mental skills (people usually have no idea about, nor terms for them yet) to acomplish an assignment like this.

I suggest therefore, in order to test your psychic skills, to take first something natural, a thing that might be described in many ways on many levels, no matter how clearly or vaguely. For instance, think of something like train: the perfect answer would be of course that it's a train, but some people might have not such clear "visions", but their mind could hint them a transportation mean, a motion, railways, railstations, crowds within a transportation, and all the other not-specific, but more vague answers. Because this is how mind really works; intellect is a part (not the whole mind) that has difficulties in understanding what and how other mind parts do / work.

As long as you are training yourselves, do not expect answers to be perfectly clear at the beginning. It takes time to master yourself, as with everything.

55 minutes ago, forsberg said:

Well, I think that the problem with numbers, zener cards, etc., is the fact, that these tests have been designed by the "isolated" intellect, without taking into account how mind works and how it develops.

No, the problem is that paranormal power claimants need to eliminate OBJECTIVE testing and use subjective testing, to increase their chances way, way above normal probability.  That's simply cheating.  It's only by cheating that they can get positive results.

I suggest therefore, in order to test your psychic skills, to take first something natural, a thing that might be described in many ways on many levels, no matter how clearly or vaguely.

Yes, that's the way, use a method that guarantees success.  Hang on.. was this thread about testing psychic powers, or self-delusion?  I'm confused.

For instance, think of something like train: the perfect answer would be of course that it's a train, but some people might have not such clear "visions", but their mind could hint them a transportation mean, a motion, railways, railstations, crowds within a transportation, and all the other not-specific, but more vague answers.

Yes, and if the person envisaged a sunset over a beach, well, obviously, the train was passing by and that was the scene outside.  If they visualised a grasshopper, that's because the train is about to run it over.  If they visualised a loving relationship, well, many trains have a reputation for being romantic....  And so on.  You may laugh, but I've seen some 'studies' that abused subjectivity in just that fashion.

As long as you are training yourselves, do not expect answers to be perfectly clear at the beginning. It takes time to master yourself, as with everything.

Yes, just like learning how to cold- or warm-read - once you get the hang of it, and/or learn how to use subjectivity to get more hits than you deserve... then you have genuine psychic powers.

Or perhaps not.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Why in the hell does anyone think this is going to work?  What psychic would come in here, knowing that they'll just be ridiculed when they get the number wrong.  And if any do guess...and that's what they'll do, guess...and end up getting it right, then they'll just claim that as evidence that they have powers.

I'll use my own psychic ability and predict that no good will come from this thread...except for some comedy as people try to guess the number in funny ways.

BTW, I guess 1.  Ever watch The Price is Right?

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

2 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Why in the hell does anyone think this is going to work?  What psychic would come in here, knowing that they'll just be ridiculed when they get the number wrong.  And if any do guess...and that's what they'll do, guess...and end up getting it right, then they'll just claim that as evidence that they have powers.

I'll use my own psychic ability and predict that no good will come from this thread...except for some comedy as people try to guess the number in funny ways.

I'd like to buy a vowel.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I already guessed 1.... omg. i bet it is 1..... anybody else feel like it could be 1? 

I know it's not Pi. :no:

Edited by Kismit

20 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

No, the problem is that paranormal power claimants need to eliminate OBJECTIVE testing and use subjective testing, to increase their chances way, way above normal probability.  That's simply cheating.  It's only by cheating that they can get positive results

CrhLzs, first of all, please quit your sarcasm, which helps no one I guess.

Cheating is when you have an intention to cheat or delude yourself. Otherwise it's training. What I wrote above is not a way to prove anything (in particular, prove scientifcally), as you seem to suggest in your post. I shared my experiences what it takes to gain a better skills, not to be a perfect telepath with just your first "crawling" step. It's a mental skill like any other - without right approach, you will attain and prove nothing.

• The topic was locked