Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

simple psychic test

kartikg

1 hour ago, forsberg said:

CrhLzs, first of all, please quit your sarcasm, which helps no one I guess.

If you see it as sarcasm, so be it.  But he's not wrong.

Cheating is when you have an intention to cheat or delude yourself. Otherwise it's training.

One can train to cheat.

What I wrote above is not a way to prove anything (in particular, prove scientifcally), as you seem to suggest in your post. I shared my experiences what it takes to gain a better skills, not to be a perfect telepath with just your first "crawling" step. It's a mental skill like any other - without right approach, you will attain and prove nothing.

It is not a "mental skill" like any other.  It hasn't even been proven to be real, and no one seems willing to prove it.

No commentary, I'm just gonna guess:

35 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

But he's not wrong.

One can train to cheat.

It is not a "mental skill" like any other.  It hasn't even been proven to be real, and no one seems willing to prove it.

He's not right, he's not wrong, what kind of argument is this? :) What kind of conversation do you expect? ;)

I don't want to convinvce anyone, but please consider this: when you expect from a child to run before it learnt to crawl, what results you will get? None. Before proving anything, especially in the area of mind, you must first acknowledge that it may lead you somewhere.

I can assure you that you won't find any prove, i.e. you will think for the rest of your life that there's no such thing as psychic skills, until you change your approach. The scientific approach (which you probably - with awareness of this fact, or not - have a basis in), especially when mind and its capabalities are considered, may fail here, and I do think so it does. A new way of thinking about mind, and about actually the reality, is needed here.

That's why I suggest people, who are serious about gaining results (and not about trying to proove anyone anything, this includes public institutions such as universities), to take their time with an honest training first. With the proposition I made before, it's not cheating, because you see your results (or lack of them) the way I already described. When you're honest with yourself, learn about the subject, and keep training (also watching whether and when it's most effective, and when it's not), you will finally get your results - sooner or later.

Edited by forsberg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, forsberg said:

CrhLzs,

Hi, Frostybugle.  (Yes, it's neither funny nor clever to misspell someone's name..)  If you are finding it difficult to spell and use Windows, just drag your moose over it, press Ctrl-C, then click the cursor where you want it and press Ctrl-V.

first of all, please quit your sarcasm, which helps no one I guess.

There was no sarcasm there, and even if there was, I don't think it's against forum rules...  If it is, then report it.

Cheating is when you have an intention to cheat or delude yourself.

This is not about cheating yourself, it's about the attempt to cheat or mislead others.

Otherwise it's training.

Me, I would reserve that word for things like driver training, school subjects, university graduates, etc.  In other words, you train to do things that are known and accepted as genuine skills/abilities/techniques.  Psychic power, just like telekinesis is not anywhere near known or accepted or proven.  I've asked the claimants here to do some simple tests to show that there might be something to their claimed powers, and what has happened, Forsberg?  Have any taken up that challenge?  Of course not.  You tell us why.. 

What I wrote above is not a way to prove anything (in particular, prove scientifcally), as you seem to suggest in your post.

And there's your problem..  There are really simple ways to provide evidence of such powers, and yet no-one can do it, and no-one is doing it here....

I shared my experiences what it takes to gain a better skills, not to be a perfect telepath with just your first "crawling" step. It's a mental skill like any other - without right approach, you will attain and prove nothing.

And nothing is exactly what has been presented here.  Feel free to help reverse that trend.  I'll even happily help, if you want to come up with some simple tests - you tell us what you claim to be able to do, and I'll come back with how to get started on the road to proving you really can do it.

• Like 1

He's not right, he's not wrong, what kind of argument is this? :) What kind of conversation do you expect? ;)

One based on logic and common sense at least.  Which is not what I'm seeing here.

I don't want to convinvce anyone, but please consider this: when you expect from a child to run before it learnt to crawl, what results you will get? None. Before proving anything, especially in the area of mind, you must first acknowledge that it may lead you somewhere.

Or one can just prove their claims.  This isn't about "learning to walk", it's about people allegedly having psychic abilities that have never proven to be real.

I can assure you that you won't find any prove, i.e. you will think for the rest of your life that there's no such thing as psychic skills, until you change your approach.

Then you are assuredly wrong.  I will think for the rest of my life that there isn't psychic abilities until someone steps up and prove them.  It's not my approach that needs changing, it's all on the claimers.

The scientific approach (which you probably - with awareness of this fact, or not - have a basis in), especially when mind and its capabalities are considered, may fail here, and I do think so it does. A new way of thinking about mind, and about actually the reality, is needed here.

If the scientific approach fails, then the claim is not valid.  That's just how it is.

That's why I suggest people, who are serious about gaining results (and not about trying to proove anyone anything, this includes public institutions such as universities),

Proof = results.  You're getting confused.

...to take their time with an honest training first. With the proposition I made before, it's not cheating, because you see your results (or lack of them) the way I already described. When you're honest with yourself, learn about the subject, and keep training (also watching whether and when it's most effective, and when it's not), you will finally get your results - sooner or later.

Honest.  That's a word I'd like applied to one that has psychic powers, and to step and and just prove it.  That's why I'm here, seeking proof.  So far, nothing, except the words of charlatans and liars that aren't willing to prove their claims.

• Like 2

All your argumentation is about prooving. This reveals what in fact is on your minds. And this is why I recommend honest training yourself, and not to parade with your skills in front of others. ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that lots of people here on this forum pay so much attention to "claims", as this word apperas so often. When you're really interested in results, not claims, you don't care much about what prooves others require from you - you may consider their demands, but when you see the results in your life, you don't need anyone to tell you wether they tell you "that's how it should be, because this is how I think people should approach this, and any other area", right?

Anyway, I'm not going to convince anyone. The key question is only: do you want to have results, or trying others to perceive you as having skills, or something?

Edited by forsberg

11 hours ago, forsberg said:

All your argumentation is about prooving. This reveals what in fact is on your minds.

Yes.  Getting to the truth.  Avoiding self-delusion thru confirmation bias.

And this is why I recommend honest training yourself, and not to parade with your skills in front of others. ;)

Because you don't want to get to the truth, and do want to self-delude?  Because you wouldn't want to share how it was done?

Anyway, I'm not going to convince anyone.

Oh, I don't know - depends on what you thought you would convince us of.  I've drawn my own conclusions, so let's leave it at that, or until someone does have the ..er.. courage and ability and desire to show us the real thing.

The key question is only: do you want to have results, or trying others to perceive you as having skills, or something?

Umm ???  Anyway, yes, I'm a results sorta guy.  'No result' to me means probably nothing happened, or may as well have..

• Like 3

13 hours ago, forsberg said:

The key question is only: do you want to have results, or trying others to perceive you as having skills, or something?

Results, of course.  Duh.  Without results there is no proof.  Without proof, these claims are just stories.

I want one person to step up and prove their claims for once.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I want one person to step up and prove their claims for once.

No one ever will. I would love to see a real psychic ability in action. Hell, if I saw a fully tested and validated display of psychokinesis I'd probably chit bricks. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 7:15 AM, forsberg said:

All your argumentation is about prooving. This reveals what in fact is on your minds. And this is why I recommend honest training yourself, and not to parade with your skills in front of others. ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that lots of people here on this forum pay so much attention to "claims", as this word apperas so often. When you're really interested in results, not claims, you don't care much about what prooves others require from you - you may consider their demands, but when you see the results in your life, you don't need anyone to tell you wether they tell you "that's how it should be, because this is how I think people should approach this, and any other area", right?

Anyway, I'm not going to convince anyone. The key question is only: do you want to have results, or trying others to perceive you as having skills, or something?

I'm not a psychic nor do I claim to be. 

I was so looking forward to some psychics demonstrating their abilities. 

I'm open minded. I believe in science.... Quantum entaglement, electrons simultaneously existing in two seperate places..., these concepts I barely understand are proof positive for me that there is a possibility thoughts, ideas, emotions, feelings, information, etc... can be transmitted separate from any conventional human understanding. 

An open minded willingness to believe is a far cry from focusing on "proof". Allow me to state I don't believe you. I'll believe in spontaneous generation when I see it, but until then I'll believe in science. 

BTW, this thread started as experiment, not an argument. Now you come in and argue the validity of psychic abilities while declining to demonstrate yours and deride the insistence of "proof".

• Like 1

I can tell you your number.

But first, I just need you to call 1900-3-533-233, that's 1900-FLEECED*

Have your credit card handy. Don't miss out on your special gift**, order now! Stocks are running out the door at these prices!*** Due to unprecedented demand, we can only offer this great deal for a limited time.  Call now to avoid delay! Our operators are waiting to take your order. 

* Ask our operators about our extensive range of luxurious sheepskin merkins.

** The first 50 callers will recieve a charming little sheepskin key chain, ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!****

*** All for the LOW LOW LOW LOW price of $59.99 +p&h Call now for a shipping quote!  

**** Please add $17.95 for additional postage and handling.

On 17.12.2016 at 2:14 AM, ChrLzs said:

Yes.  Getting to the truth.  Avoiding self-delusion thru confirmation bias.

Because you don't want to get to the truth, and do want to self-delude?  Because you wouldn't want to share how it was done?

Oh, I don't know - depends on what you thought you would convince us of.  I've drawn my own conclusions, so let's leave it at that, or until someone does have the ..er.. courage and ability and desire to show us the real thing.

Umm ???  Anyway, yes, I'm a results sorta guy.  'No result' to me means probably nothing happened, or may as well have..

It's pretty clear to me that what you stated here only, is the fact, that you want to stay with your conviction - because what you're trying to convey here is oversimplified. I'm not going therefore to convince you to think any other way (than you do) - everyone chooes his or her own believes. I already answered to everything what you questions here, so it's like you're repeating yourself.

What is open-mindness, shows the other discutant's message:

2 hours ago, CynicalBeliever77 said:

An open minded willingness to believe is a far cry from focusing on "proof". Allow me to state I don't believe you. I'll believe in spontaneous generation when I see it, but until then I'll believe in science. 

BTW, this thread started as experiment, not an argument. Now you come in and argue the validity of psychic abilities while declining to demonstrate yours and deride the insistence of "proof".

That's very good that you don't, because you shouldn't! I'm a counter-religious person too. I didn't say: believe me. I said: give it a chance to first begin the expedition to discover - e.g. that there exists such a continent like America, or that Earth is not a flat place - except the fact, that the expedition now is not related to the physical world, but into your own mind. My argument is just that: you expect to discover "America" without expedition. But in my humble opinion, you're just wasting your time - because you don't seem to have much idea about a "ship" needed to be built before going to the "expedition"...

On 12/16/2016 at 9:36 PM, XenoFish said:

No one ever will. I would love to see a real psychic ability in action. Hell, if I saw a fully tested and validated display of psychokinesis I'd probably chit bricks. 

I know that, and I don't force the issue anymore.  I certainly want someone to prove their ability, but I'm starting to see threads where posters are deliberately calling these people out.  That's not going to work, it can't be forced, because if these alleged psychics are smart, they won't subject themselves to ridicule like that.

By the way, I'm not defending their make-believe and delusional stances, they can be whatever they want to be.  If they make a claim, I'll ask for proof.  If they don't provide it, the world spins on.  If they finally do--great!  That applies to the church of bigfoot, alien UFO's, actual evidence of ancient aliens, ghosts...blah blah blah.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thorvir said:

I know that, and I don't force the issue anymore.  I certainly want someone to prove their ability, but I'm starting to see threads where posters are deliberately calling these people out.  That's not going to work, it can't be forced, because if these alleged psychics are smart, they won't subject themselves to ridicule like that.

By the way, I'm not defending their make-believe and delusional stances, they can be whatever they want to be.  If they make a claim, I'll ask for proof.  If they don't provide it, the world spins on.  If they finally do--great!  That applies to the church of bigfoot, alien UFO's, actual evidence of ancient aliens, ghosts...blah blah blah.

For me, the fact that we are here, discussing this, means we're open minded.  We want to see something - but that doesn't mean we are careless in the acceptance of evidence.  We are open to the claim but more astute in the gathering of evidence to support that claim.  That is where the disagreement begins.  Those who make the claim want us to have an open mind with everything; whereas we can only be open minded to the claim but judicious with the evidence. 

• Like 1

That's very good that you don't, because you shouldn't! I'm a counter-religious person too. I didn't say: believe me. I said: give it a chance to first begin the expedition to discover - e.g. that there exists such a continent like America, or that Earth is not a flat place - except the fact, that the expedition now is not related to the physical world, but into your own mind. My argument is just that: you expect to discover "America" without expedition. But in my humble opinion, you're just wasting your time - because you don't seem to have much idea about a "ship" needed to be built before going to the "expedition"...

Religion makes more sense to me than your contribution to this thread. 

First off the Greeks proved the earth was round using science without building a ship.

The hero of your strawman analogy didn't "expect" to discover America. At best it was inadvertent. 

Please quit trying to sound profound or enlightened while refusing to participate in the experiment. 

• Like 1

All righty folks... Can we stop with the debating about psychic powers that's derailing this thread, and just leave it for people actually giving numbers to participate in the test?

Stay on topic here folks :tu:

Rashore, moderating team

• Like 3

Let me toss my two cents in the hat ...

~

Spoiler

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

When's the number going to be revealed. I'm curious.:huh:

The first of Smarch, that will give us enough time to guess nearly every number possible.

On 12/13/2016 at 10:40 PM, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Kizzy pie is always good. Kartikg messaged me and I am the official holder of the number :ph34r:

... and of course, we can trust  you     :)        WAIT !     Were you not the moderator that cheated and won  (using your moderator powers for evil instead of good ) in the last  ' Last person to post in this thread wins '  game  ????   Hmmmmmmm    :rolleyes:  

(yes !   and I will be standing alongside St Peter at the pearly gates when you try to get in ;  'Thats her!  Thats the one !  "  )

Anyway .....   962  .      ?     No wait .....  < rubs temples >  ... " Ommmmmmmm ... "        963  

• Like 2

On 12/13/2016 at 11:18 PM, ChrLzs said:

Dam, I think Kismit was onto it...  I reckon she was almost there..!

But I think I see a flaw in this...  Where exactly is the subjective judgement that is absolutely required for psychic readings???

You cannot possibly expect any psychic claimant to get interested in something scientific and simple and genuinely random and for which there is no chance to skew the results...

We need Dean Radin or Rupert Sheldrake to set up a test!  Then the psychics (including dogs who know their owners are coming home (that's an in-joke..)) will flock to the test.  They will be very interested in helping with the judgement process and teaching others how to get matches even when the match isn't at all obvious........

(Gee, I hope I didn't let on that I was being a little sarcastic/cynical..)

BTW, kartikg, I have to be a nitpicker.  If you get to choose the number, then that does in fact skew the randomness.  Think about it - if you were deliberately trying to help the claimant, you could have put subtle clues in your posts, and similarly if you want to think up a difficult to guess number, then I can think of a few criteria for that too (I'd rather not divulge how, for reasons that might become clear later in this thread...).  It would be better to start a suitable random number generator, and then look away for a while and then stop it without looking, so that it is genuinely random.  (It's actually quite difficult to create a truly random number, but there are ways..)

Anyway, my guess?  83,405Of course................

Unbeliever !    I'll show him ...

< rubs temples  >    "  Ommmmmmmm .... "        You sir , are wearing Snoopy underpants ......   boxer shorts style !  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 10:06 AM, XenoFish said:

I'd like to buy a vowel.

ha!   I thought that said 'buy a towel'  ....   I must have got your 'Hitch Hikers  Guide to the Galaxy ' pic stuck in me noggin . 

I know !   To get the number I  shall do Gematria on your name and calculate the total ....   first up X  ..... ummmm , what is value of X  ... oh !  , ummmmmm   what Hebrew letter is X  ???  :blink:    

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

ha!   I thought that said 'buy a towel'  ....   I must have got your 'Hitch Hikers  Guide to the Galaxy ' pic stuck in me noggin . 

I know !   To get the number I  shall do Gematria on your name and calculate the total ....   first up X  ..... ummmm , what is value of X  ... oh !  , ummmmmm   what Hebrew letter is X  ???  :blink:    

Xero lol.

• Like 3

There is an easier way to play ;

Think of a number between 1 and 10   

Spoiler

was it 7  ?

If  not  ....

Spoiler

was it 5  ? 

;) 

• The topic was locked