Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange 'crater' discovered in Antarctica

UM-Bot

This type of melting in Iceland was attributed to climate change and turned out to be a volcano underneath. Just sayin!

• Like 4

Least we forget..."Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum" (2013-2014).  Just sayin! Climate forces on Earth are complex, which is why the surface temperature rises predicted in the 80's, 90's and 00's have never been realized.  Climate science is still in it's infancy, and like a child trying to grasp complex concepts, these scientists cower in fear because they really don't understand it yet, not because they really know how it works.  

Government gets on-board because fear is a great way to raise revenue and control populations.  Everything then get's related to the object of fear and is used to justify practically every affront to liberty and freedom.  Most recently it's been the overuse of the terrorist label but it's happened continuously throughout history with other fear mongering labels as well.  The human condition toward fear is a powerful motivator, and societies fall for it all the time.  It's one of humanities biggest weaknesses when it comes to protecting liberty and freedom.  

Edited by Noxasa
  • Like 3

A sinkhole in ice. That is an interesting development. As are those lakes inside the ice; photons must be able to penetrate to those depths and warm the ice; because the ice also insulates, warmth builds up and the ice melts in those places. Since ice has a larger volume than water, the ice above is no longer supported and will eventually collapse, forming the ice sinkhole.

Edited by Ell
  • Like 1

Probably another UFO crashing. 

7 hours ago, cerberusxp said:

This type of melting in Iceland was attributed to climate change and turned out to be a volcano underneath. Just sayin!

6 hours ago, Noxasa said:

Least we forget..."Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum" (2013-2014).  Just sayin!

Not trying to derail thread but this struck me as a little odd. Just sayin.

• Like 2

We all clearly know it was another impact crater left by the iron moon that surprisingly had a hit and miss the other day with Earth. 

(sorry, I had to

• Like 1

This makes you wonder what the terrain actually looks like under all the ice.  Maybe Antarctica isn't one solid land mass as we think.

And off-topic a tad...
I can only imagine the potential discoveries underneath all that ice, as from what I've heard Antarctica was a long time ago in a very different spot on the globe... Lush and green. Critters, and prehistoric animals perhaps.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:37 AM, cerberusxp said:

Actually, this "type" of melting is caused by a moulin (subice river/lake) draining into the sea beneath.  Without water to support it, the ice falls into the hole.  The volcano was a completely different phenomenon.  What is unique is that never before have we seen a lake on an ice shelf drain downward into the ocean.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, R.E.H Fan said:

I'm surprised by the lack of hollow earth theorists commenting upon this.

Don't worry, the global warming zealots will make up for the hollow earther's silence.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:49 AM, Noxasa said:

Least we forget..."Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum" (2013-2014).  Just sayin! Climate forces on Earth are complex, which is why the surface temperature rises predicted in the 80's, 90's and 00's have never been realized.  Climate science is still in it's infancy, and like a child trying to grasp complex concepts, these scientists cower in fear because they really don't understand it yet, not because they really know how it works.  

Government gets on-board because fear is a great way to raise revenue and control populations.  Everything then get's related to the object of fear and is used to justify practically every affront to liberty and freedom.  Most recently it's been the overuse of the terrorist label but it's happened continuously throughout history with other fear mongering labels as well.  The human condition toward fear is a powerful motivator, and societies fall for it all the time.  It's one of humanities biggest weaknesses when it comes to protecting liberty and freedom.  

The "New Record Maximum" was areal extent only.  When one includes ice thickness, the trend is downward.

Could you please tell me who made that "prediction" and when.  Though we didn't recognize it at the time, the upward trend began in 1910 and continued until 1952.  Temps leveled off, even declining somewhat, during the 50s and early 60s, then headed slowly upward.  In 1976 the current excursion started when a new evaporation basin opened in the Drake Passage.  Temps rose sharply through 1998, then leveled off through 2005.  Since then, they trended slowly upward until last October when we started setting new records again.  You can see this in the NCDC list of climate anomalies.  http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

In western Oklahoma we have averaged a 1% per year rise in temps (based on 0 degrees C.) over the last 120 years.  Rate of rise is currently accelerating at about 0.07 degrees per year.  Those are my own figures derived from data available here:  https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/us/34/4/pdsi/3/5/1895-2016?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000

Apparently you have not been keeping up with events in climate science.

Deserts/drought is now spreading along the 35th parallel.  Remember those wildfires in Virginia and Tennessee?  Why do you think that area is so dry?  Climate change has been fatal to a number of people there in the last few weeks.

The threat of climate change isn't just a vague threat in the future.  It is here and now.  Just open your eyes when you go out-of-doors.

Doug

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Don't worry, the global warming zealots will make up for the hollow earther's silence.

I guess if believing the science (from peer-reviewed journals) is being a "zealot," then I am a zealot.  But what term should we use for those who don't bother to educate themselves on the subject?  "Deniers" just doesn't describe someone whose arguments boil down to shutting his eyes and shouting "Does Not."

Doug

• Like 7

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:05 PM, pallidin said:

And off-topic a tad...
I can only imagine the potential discoveries underneath all that ice, as from what I've heard Antarctica was a long time ago in a very different spot on the globe... Lush and green. Critters, and prehistoric animals perhaps.

Antarctica iced over about 15 million years ago, about the same time the Strait of Panama closed.  Before that it was a green continent.

Doug

• Like 3

Antarctica iced over Myrs before that. A temporary thaw around 15 Ma produced fairly extensive plant growth coastally, however, yes.

EDIT: Also, this crater has been visible on satellite images since 1989. It's not exactly new.

Edited by Socks Junior
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2016 at 0:07 PM, Dark_Grey said:

Not trying to derail thread but this struck me as a little odd. Just sayin.

Then you didn't read the article.  :-)

On 12/13/2016 at 4:37 AM, cerberusxp said:

I immediately thought volcano. I'm not sure what other people are thinking. Possibly something woo? 

On 12/14/2016 at 2:20 PM, Doug1o29 said:

I guess if believing the science (from peer-reviewed journals) is being a "zealot," then I am a zealot.  But what term should we use for those who don't bother to educate themselves on the subject?  "Deniers" just doesn't describe someone whose arguments boil down to shutting his eyes and shouting "Does Not."

Doug

You can't awaken someone who is pretending to be asleep. 

On 12/15/2016 at 7:34 AM, Socks Junior said:

Antarctica iced over Myrs before that. A temporary thaw around 15 Ma produced fairly extensive plant growth coastally, however, yes.

EDIT: Also, this crater has been visible on satellite images since 1989. It's not exactly new.

Are you trying to say that there was no Greenhouse Effect in 1989? Because they taught that **** to me in grade school back in the '70s.

18 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Are you trying to say that there was no Greenhouse Effect in 1989? Because they taught that **** to me in grade school back in the '70s.

No, not what I'm saying. Read the comment again.

10 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Science demands scepticism. Einstein added the cosmological constant to his equations because he did not believe the Universe was expanding, so he fiddled his figures to give a steady state outcome to his calculations. While the Scientific method is very good, it is far from perfect because scientist do give in to doctrine and ego.

So while I aknowledge Man has an affect on the climate, I will remain sceptical because Climate Change has become almost a religion and a doctrine.

It is a mistake, and foolish and arrogant, to criticize or reject some well-accepted scientific idea unless one has the appropriate qualifications.  I don't think you are qualified to overrule (and neither is any politician) the well defined and now scientifically demonstrated fact of man-caused global warming.

We may not be headed for the disaster some environmental extremists paint, but we are doing a lot of harm and setting up a situation that in a few decades is going to be expensive and cause a lot of suffering.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, seanjo said:

...because Climate Change has become almost a religion and a doctrine.

It certainly has done that, with its own set of zealots and fanatics.  It's also being used as a colossal get-rich(er) scheme for governments; using it to fleece even more money from its citizens.

Climate change is a very real thing.  It's a natural process that shouldn't be tampered with.  Man-made global warming is....well, I touched on it in my opening sentence.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2016 at 9:34 AM, Socks Junior said:

That is correct. The Antarctic ice formed around 35-33 Ma, during the Oligocene cooling. The Arctic ice sheet, on the other hand, formed around 15-13 Ma, during the Miocene climate transition.

Edited by Carnoferox