Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth 'unprepared' for killer asteroid strike

UM-Bot

Yes well, not sure if it needed a NASA scientist to make us aware of this, but thanks anyway.

Just a shame mankind is still intend on killing each other, when the real thread could be out there and all the weapons man is using now would be nothing compared to what could one day hit us. 

• Like 7

The article says there isn't much we can do, so let's create lots of worry and anxiety to boost drug sales.  If we had bases on the Moon, Mars and in the asteroid belt, we might have a chance of doing something.  I'll be long gone before we are able to do that.

You can't prepare yourself for that just like you can't prepare yourself from a car accident or a plane crashing on your home.

Enjoy life while you can
Carpe Diem

• Like 2

They example they give of having 22 months warning and not being able to react to that is scary. 

The safest bet for humanity is probably not putting all our eggs in one basket, namely Earth.  It is time for us to spread out to other planets and hopefully other solar systems.

1 hour ago, Four Winds said:

They example they give of having 22 months warning and not being able to react to that is scary. 

The safest bet for humanity is probably not putting all our eggs in one basket, namely Earth.  It is time for us to spread out to other planets and hopefully other solar systems.

Easier said than done.

For myself, I'm loyal to this planet and will stay, and hope that someone can come up with a defense against this "killer asteroid".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Four Winds said:

We need to find one just like Earth so we can breath and survive and one which is not under threat from killer asteroids.

I agree with the idea of putting a rocket on standby to change the course of comet or meteor to keep it from hitting us.  BUT there is going to have to be some testing to see what method would work best.  That is going to take time and money. I doubt you are going to get the current US congress to do that.  They would rather spend half the US budget on the military looking for ways to kill more people, than to save them.  We are the first beings on the planet to actually have a chance of stopping an extinction event from space.  Yet we sit on our hands in denial like a dinosaur in the head lights.  I hope some country will step up to the plate and takes the lead in this. I don't really care who does it, either.  We need to get the job done, period.    

• Like 1

I don't think these rockets and missiles things will be effective due to one little problem ... conjecture ... what if its heading for San Francisco and its deflected and end up pulverizing Dallas ?

Yaaaay SF boo hoo Texas ?

~

11 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I agree with the idea of putting a rocket on standby to change the course of comet or meteor to keep it from hitting us.  BUT there is going to have to be some testing to see what method would work best.  That is going to take time and money. I doubt you are going to get the current US congress to do that.  They would rather spend half the US budget on the military looking for ways to kill more people, than to save them.  We are the first beings on the planet to actually have a chance of stopping an extinction event from space.  Yet we sit on our hands in denial like a dinosaur in the head lights.  I hope some country will step up to the plate and takes the lead in this. I don't really care who does it, either.  We need to get the job done, period.    

Agreed, but I can't see why it should only be a US problem (and budget). 

If we are talking about "killer asteroids", then we are all on the same boat (or planet), so this should be an internationally coordinated effort and expenses should be shared. 

Theoretically that's one of the reasons why we have the UN with all its offices, more specifically in this case the UNOOSA. 

On 12/15/2016 at 2:24 AM, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Easier said than done.

That goes without saying.

Really though, the proposal of having one special rocket on standby falls pretty darn short when you consider that all humanity is at stake.  At the very least have several ready that are all developed independent of each other.  One mistake like not converting from English to Metric as has happened in the past with a Mars probe would literally be catastrophic. http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288

Edited by Four Winds

BTW...if the Earth were prepared for this asteroid, it wouldn't be a "killer" one, would it?  That's the nature of being a "killer" asteroid, it will kill us, because we can't stop it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also unprepared for a Massive CME. I don't think most governments take the threats from space seriously. 

We live in a shooting gallery of space rock. And our star likes to burp and fart enough gas that it would electrify and destroy the earths power grid and most electronics. But meh.