Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

25 questions scientists are still asking...

sees

4 minutes ago, Avinash Suresh said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

There are a lot of things our present science can't explain. For example, can you show WHY gravity works? WHY does the Universe exist? WHY do we experience blissful "feelings" of LOVE?How do you explain the "refreshing" feeling you get when around nature?Our Science has only been able to explain electrons behave this way. But WHY?Newton's laws of motion work, but WHY??

And what about death?Every atom of the body remains the same as it was before death, only the heart doesn't pump blood. What is the "driving force" that causes heart to pump blood when we are ALIVE?

Our Science seems to focus only on the "what" aspect rather than the "why" aspect.

"What matters MOST is NOT appearances, but what is BEHIND them..."

Sorry, problem in my message. Can anyone tell me how to remove the spoilers I added by mistake?

10 hours ago, danielost said:

then tell us the secret to the triangle.  i haven't heard it explained yet.

It's related to parallel universe. But I suggest that you see for yourself...

There are a lot of things our present science can't explain. For example, can you show WHY gravity works? WHY does the Universe exist? WHY do we experience blissful "feelings" of LOVE?How do you explain the "refreshing" feeling you get when around nature?Our Science has only been able to explain electrons behave this way. But WHY?Newton's laws of motion work, but WHY??

And what about death?Every atom of the body remains the same as it was before death, only the heart doesn't pump blood. What is the "driving force" that causes heart to pump blood when we are ALIVE?

Our Science seems to focus only on the "what" aspect rather than the "why" aspect.

"What matters MOST is NOT appearances, but what is BEHIND them..."

Humans have to learn that there isn't necessarily answers to every possible question - some questions don't make sense to even bother asking.  In some cases its not obvious-  E.g the question "what is life" seems on the surface to be as sensible as the question "what does life do" but there is an answer(s) to the latter, and you could spend a lot of time stoned on the roof of your house and never get close to an answer to the former.  Sometimes you have to make sure you're asking the right question.

You gave an example yourself-  Why does gravity work?  Thats the wrong question, Einstein demonstrated that there is no such thing as Gravity.  Its merely the result of a curved space-time shapped by matter.

Whilst science certainly doesnt "know" all the answers, it provides the best framework for getting a lot of them, but the thing it really excels at is finding us a better question to ask.

Edited by Torchwood

7 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Majority of humans refer to humans as a whole. Just the Abrahamic religions make up over 50% of the world's belief system.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

It proves humans aren't rational.

To have a religious belief does not mean people are not capable of being rational.  To use your own words here, you need to look at humans as a whole.  We ARE capable of rationality but, of course this is tempered by other factors in our makeup, i.e. our thoughts and actions comprising both logic and emotion.  

I have a dim view of orthodox religion but I am all for whatever brings out the best in people, i.e. if it makes them more moral.

You sound like you wish we were robots!  :shock1:   :SH:

Thankfully we are capable of humanitarian feelings like compassion. color.gif

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, sees said:

To have a religious belief does not mean people are not capable of being rational.  To use your own words here, you need to look at humans as a whole.  We ARE capable of rationality but, of course this is tempered by other factors in our makeup, i.e. our thoughts and actions comprising both logic and emotion.

I have a dim view of orthodox religion but I am all for whatever brings out the best in people, i.e. if it makes them more moral.

You sound like you wish we were robots!  :shock1:   :SH:

Thankfully we are capable of humanitarian feelings like compassion. color.gif

I never said we can't be rational. I said we're not rational beings, our rationality is selective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rlyeh said:

I never said we can't be rational. I said we're not rational beings, our rationality is selective.

Yes of course!  Even scientists are selective in their rationality, yes?

Thankfully we are capable of emotions like love too!! icon_thumleft.gif

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, danielost said:

then tell us the secret to the triangle.  i haven't heard it explained yet.

there is no secret and there is no bermuda triangle.. A guy named vincent gaddis started the myth..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

what no link

7 hours ago, Rofflaren said:

there is no secret and there is no bermuda triangle.. A guy named vincent gaddis started the myth..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle

that doesn't explain the disappearance of five navel aircraft one day and the disappearance of the search plane the next.  like how did the lead pilot think he was over the keys when he was over bermuda.

24 minutes ago, danielost said:

that doesn't explain the disappearance of five navel aircraft one day and the disappearance of the search plane the next.  like how did the lead pilot think he was over the keys when he was over bermuda.

They were inexperienced students..

read this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_19

Edited by Rofflaren

I feel that when and if the odditity of quantum mechanics can be merged somehow in its powerful relationship to everything here and now, perhaps we may gain a better understanding of life in general... As well as the speculated paranormal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

How is it related to a parallel universe?

23 hours ago, Torchwood said:

Humans have to learn that there isn't necessarily answers to every possible question - some questions don't make sense to even bother asking.  In some cases its not obvious-  E.g the question "what is life" seems on the surface to be as sensible as the question "what does life do" but there is an answer(s) to the latter, and you could spend a lot of time stoned on the roof of your house and never get close to an answer to the former.  Sometimes you have to make sure you're asking the right question.

You gave an example yourself-  Why does gravity work?  Thats the wrong question, Einstein demonstrated that there is no such thing as Gravity.  Its merely the result of a curved space-time shapped by matter.

Whilst science certainly doesnt "know" all the answers, it provides the best framework for getting a lot of them, but the thing it really excels at is finding us a better question to ask.

That 'ignorance' is exactly the reason why our progress is slow. Can we generate gravity or antigravity?

2 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

That 'ignorance' is exactly the reason why our progress is slow. Can we generate gravity or antigravity?

What "ignorance" are you referring to?

And yes...if Gravity were a thing we could easily generate it but moving lots of matter together which will then bend space-time.  And Anti-grav would just be the dispersal of matter so Space-time isnt bent around it.  Easy peasy....you are "generating gravity" right now, with hardly any effort. Well done!   

edit- duplicate posts iss what you get when bunnies walk across keyboards...

Edited by Torchwood

This seems to negate all of the information scientists actually do know about black holes, space, evolution, ancient sites, etc. It also posits, falsely, that there is a "missing link," which is not a term used by scientists, but only by creationists. It negates the thousands of transitional fossils that have been discovered.

Science never claims to have all of the answers. That's something only religion tries to do. 

In science, one never stops looking for answers. 

• Like 1

What's also interesting is that people who are always going after science for not have all the answers tend to accept other things on face value. They don't require the same evidence of...well...say, the bible, for instance. It doesn't bother them that there is no evidence of an Exodus out of Egypt, a worldwide flood, Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, Solomon's Temple, and the Tower of Babel. 

Same thing happens when you have groups of people who believe that aliens are wholesale abducting folks. Even though the information is mostly based on personal accounts and false memory syndrome or sleep paralysis type experiences...it doesn't matter. People jump all over it because they want to believe it. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

What's also interesting is that people who are always going after science for not have all the answers tend to accept other things on face value. They don't require the same evidence of...well...say, the bible, for instance. It doesn't bother them that there is no evidence of an Exodus out of Egypt, a worldwide flood, Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, Solomon's Temple, and the Tower of Babel. 

Same thing happens when you have groups of people who believe that aliens are wholesale abducting folks. Even though the information is mostly based on personal accounts and false memory syndrome or sleep paralysis type experiences...it doesn't matter. People jump all over it because they want to believe it. 

How would you even go about proving something that harks back to biblical times?  I guess this is where faith might come in.  I am not religious by the way.

There is a difference between personal accounts and false memory syndrome, i.e. not all personal accounts are accountable as false memory!  I get what you are saying here but it's a question of degree...i.e. not outright believing or disbelieving = having an open mind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sees said:

How would you even go about proving something that harks back to biblical times?  I guess this is where faith might come in.  I am not religious by the way.

There is a difference between personal accounts and false memory syndrome, i.e. not all personal accounts are accountable as false memory!  I get what you are saying here but it's a question of degree...i.e. not outright believing or disbelieving = having an open mind.

You would use various sets of sciences to prove it.. or disprove it. Geology, archeology, anthropology, and various areas of history..... and others besides. There are scientists out there that apply these sciences specifically to Biblical things. Just like some folks apply it specifically to various other ancient cultures and civilizations.

1 hour ago, sees said:

I wasn't trying to say that personal accounts and false memories are one in the same. Although, sometimes they clearly are. I was explaining how people believe lots of things without any evidence, and then for some reason attack science (which deals in evidence).

Personal accounts don't contain any evidence. Science can only examine evidence. If I say I saw a UFO land and little green men came out of it and they took me for a ride in the UFO...that's not evidence. You see my point here? 

And there are plenty of things we can examine from biblical times. If there was an exodus or a worldwide flood, scientists would be able to find all kinds of artifacts from the exodus and all sorts of markers that would show a worldwide flood occurred. Just look it up sometime. We know about all sorts of ancient civilizations and major events because of science. 

Edited by ChaosRose

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I wasn't trying to say that personal accounts and false memories are one in the same. Although, sometimes they clearly are. I was explaining how people believe lots of things without any evidence, and then for some reason attack science (which deals in evidence).

Personal accounts don't contain any evidence. Science can only examine evidence. If I say I saw a UFO land and little green men came out of it and they took me for a ride in the UFO...that's not evidence. You see my point here? 

Yes I see your point but it also highlights the limitations of science when it comes to what exists i.e. if it can't be measured and analysed then, according to science, it doesn't exist. Ridiculous rules! Just because a personal account may be difficult to verify does not mean it did not occur!  How do you measure love?  According to science it's about 3 neurotransmitters which is laughable in terms of appraising such a profound, beautiful experience.

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sees said:

Yes I see your point but it also highlights the limitations of science when it comes to what exists i.e. if it can't be measured and analysed then it doesn't exist. Ridiculous rules! Just because a personal account may be difficult to verify does not mean it did not occur!  How do you measure love?  According to science it's about 3 neurotransmitters which is laughable in terms of appraising such a profound, beautiful experience.

No one ever said science didn't have limitations, but science doesn't tell people what doesn't exist. Science can't examine what it can't examine, so scientists just say we don't have any evidence of that. Which is honest. 

Just because there are other people who claim to have all the answers, it doesn't mean they do. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

No one ever said science didn't have limitations, but science doesn't tell people what doesn't exist. Science can't examine what it can't examine, so scientists just say we don't have any evidence of that. Which is honest. 

Just because there are other people who claim to have all the answers, it doesn't mean they do. 

OK fair enough.

To have a personal account of an experience is not the same thing as boasting that the person has all the answers though, yes?  That would be an extreme scenario.

Just now, sees said:

OK fair enough.

To have a personal account of an experience is not the same thing as boasting that the person has all the answers though, yes?  That would be an extreme scenario.

No. I think religion takes the prize on that one. It's really only religion that claims to have all the answers. 

Personal accounts just (sometimes very conveniently) aren't backed up with evidence, but there are a lot of people who believe them because they want to. Science kind of ticks these people off by pointing out that there's no evidence. 

• Like 1