Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

25 questions scientists are still asking...

sees

16 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

ironymeter2.gif

Yeah, I have my speakers off but I heard it: DING-DONG-DING-DONG-DING-DONG !!!!!

I have a question for Sees.

How can there be a "system of enlightenment" if enlightenment is unique to the individual? Isn't "system" the opposite of "enlightened individual"?

Is that why you quit Buddhism? Or did I miss a post?

(also, why violet?)

15 minutes ago, HeliumRat said:

I have a question for Sees.

How can there be a "system of enlightenment" if enlightenment is unique to the individual? Isn't "system" the opposite of "enlightened individual"?

Is that why you quit Buddhism? Or did I miss a post?

(also, why violet?)

I do not recognise the quote "system of enlightenment" as coming from me....not a phrase I would use.  Sure you got the right person?

I didn't 'quit' buddhism altogether, i.e. I still use some of its tools/practises.  I found non attachment too deadening.

Oh the purple font?  Its a colour I really resonate with and has spiritual connotations which I won't go into here since I have found that this is not a friendly, accepting forum for those who are spiritualised.

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

Ah, I didn't mean to attribute it to you. I was just thinking of Buddhism as a system of enlightenment.

On the same topic, though, what did you not like about Buddhism?

28 minutes ago, HeliumRat said:

On the same topic, though, what did you not like about Buddhism?

There is so much that I actually resonate with and like about Buddhism that, by comparison, my fault finding is insignificant.

As mentioned, I found the non attachment deadening but I may have taken it to an extreme that was not envisaged.

I also 'learned' that I would have to incarnate as a man to achieve enlightenment which felt false and like a cultural add-on rather than intrinsic to the original teaching.

What is your opinion of Buddhism?

Edited by sees

Well, my interests are philosophy and the sciences. I grew up in a fundamentalist doomsday cult that I rejected from childhood, so I have always been interested in the alternatives. Buddhism is interesting because of meditation, though I knew a guy who after 20 years of transcendental meditation told me he'd wasted his life, so that's not a path I'm going to follow.

Personally, the greatest mystery in my life is why I have the dreams I do. I'm a vivid dreamer, and would like to get down to the reason why all my dreams are battles with monsters, but that's probably psychology more than anything else:)

It seems that all my sleeping life I've been trying to find the command post of the enemy, be they cyborgs, mutants, soldiers, monsters, robots, or even the undead. I feel that if I can find it I can end my nightmares.

53 minutes ago, HeliumRat said:

Well, my interests are philosophy and the sciences. I grew up in a fundamentalist doomsday cult that I rejected from childhood, so I have always been interested in the alternatives. Buddhism is interesting because of meditation, though I knew a guy who after 20 years of transcendental meditation told me he'd wasted his life, so that's not a path I'm going to follow.

Personally, the greatest mystery in my life is why I have the dreams I do. I'm a vivid dreamer, and would like to get down to the reason why all my dreams are battles with monsters, but that's probably psychology more than anything else:)

It seems that all my sleeping life I've been trying to find the command post of the enemy, be they cyborgs, mutants, soldiers, monsters, robots, or even the undead. I feel that if I can find it I can end my nightmares.

Interesting.  Have you asked about your dreams on this forum?  I am quite adept at dream interpretation but realise this is off topic here, so feel free to PM me if that appeals to you.

Yeah, I'll start posting on the psychology forum I guess :)

• Like 1