Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gym

psyche101

Hi All!!

Been threatening to do this for a long time.

I joined a Gym about two years ago, never done it in my life before then. I have found the benefits from the workouts and the dieting tips to be immensely helpful and it has changed my life. I thought we could chat in here about experiences, advices, workouts, goals, achievements, pretty much anything related to a healthy lifestyle. 

When I first started, my cardio circuit took me 18 minutes. The average was 9-11 minutes. Damn it hurt. Wasn't sure I could stick it out, but I found the idea of quitting less appealing, especially admitting it to my friends. So I stuck it out. I learned that pain is just weakness leaving the body. I got that down to 8 minutes eventually and am feeling better than I ever have.

Had an awesome week, broken my PB's (personal best) now lifting my own bodyweight, I am pushing a sled at 1 1/2 times my bodyweight, and I am almost (20 Kg's away) from a deadlift of double my bodyweight.

Never thought I would be doing this as I hit 50! (Next year) 

Anyways, I thought if people are interested in discussing their experiences I would love to hear what you are doing, and how you are going. Crimson King and I have had a few excellent discussions on the subject, and I have been wondering if more people here are into health and fitness. 

First up, Pre Workout. Anyone try this magnificent stuff? Love it myself, I used a brand called Cree-Pump. It is all natural, no caffeine and gives a mighty hit. Crimson King put me onto some Mr Hyde - brilliant stuff! Currently I am using a brand called Metabolic Bioshock. Mainly because it was ridiculously cheap, and I could not pass by it. Seems pretty good, but Nutrition Warehouse people always recommend PreFX, which is also pretty good, and budget priced I find. Anyone tried Titan? I see that a lot, well priced as well, but not sure how good it is. All suggestions welcome - let's hear, what are you using?

Mr-Hyde-Pre-Workout.jpggenetixnutrition-prefx-60serves-watermel

genetix-nutrition-crea-pump-max-tropical

Nutrition - VERY important aspect, one of my favourite memes:

11386524_686522558140640_1681735384_n.jp

Is so true I find. Just basic maths, 2+2=4. You need fuel to make gains. Planning ahead is a great idea. As suggested above, a  few days of ready to go meals makes this task easier to achieve. Best fast food on the planet!

Again, would love to hear from people, Does the Paleo diet work for you? How do you get the snacks in to increase your intake? Personally, I run with beef jerky, boiled eggs, chees sticks and nuts for snacks. And I do my level best to get 6 meals in a day, even if one or two are somthing protein shakes. But I always try to get there.

Rule of thumb that might be handy to some. If you want gains, take your desired weight, double that, and that is how many grams of protein you need to get into you each day. If you weigh 80 kilos. then you need to ingest 160 grams of protein. And remember - you have to count your protein. 100 grams of red meat does not equal 100 grams of protein, it equals roughly about 30 grams. 

LINK - Protein Counting Chart.

I rather like this link for an exercise guide, pretty hectic, but it does have levels of beginner intermediate and BEAST.

LINK - Menshealth the Spartan 300 Workout

I think we can support each other, offer advices, and just boast form time to time :D Have it it, we have heard enough from me, who else loves their fitness here at UM? I really want to hear from you. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

All suggestions welcome - let's hear, what are you using?

'roids ? Gotta say, I know people who are always going to the gym, but pay someone to mow their lawn, which seems strange.

• Like 2

I've been slacking lately but for good reason. As I type this it's -6 F with twenty mph winds outside. So with that my walks have taken a serious hit. I do however have my weights to tinker with so I'm not entirely lazy. Spring will be here soon enough. I look forward to other regimens people do to stay fit. Good thread idea psyche! Thanks for making it.

• Like 3

in my 20's....I got into going to the gym...wanting to bulk up and look like the guys in muscle magazines Id also been buying. My first gym was over a swimming pool I used every Saturday so I started training first, then had a swim after. Back in my day there were no inductions, you just went to the gym and trained....which wasnt the best idea as you soon have another user point out your form is off/bad...but I learned all the ways to train better....mostly on those cable machines, which...while 'ok'... I was informed that free weights were better... so went to a gym with free weights....and some huge guys working out too, and learned by observation what the other guys did

I was as frustrated as hell for months as didnt seem to see much improvement... BUT thats ONLY because Id keep looking in the mirror every 5 minutes. Nobody remembers the day, growing up...when they went from 4 foot tall....to four feet and a half inch tall....growth is slow and un-noticeable usually....so have realistic goals.

And I did that by recording what I could curl, what I could bench press. what I could leg press etc... and in those records, Id see over a few months, an improvement in all weight lifted. Id read so many 'routines' that fellas used that it became baffling....tho In the end I chose the back and front routine. ie, one day I trained every body part on the front of the body, next day, every muscle group on the rear of the body. 4 days on...3 days off

Back in my early days I never bought any powders and potions...but I was fortunate to be working as a chef which meant I could eat well at work...for free

Still didnt seem to see any difference....till a GF was taking photos of me in the garden.....one pic, with me in summer shorts and vest, I was in a punching pose...for whatever reason.....but when the pics were developed...I saw lumpy things on my shoulders..(muscles) :lol:   ..I saw defined arms...and was pleased with the definition on my triceps. ONLY IN THE PHOTO....could I see improvement tho....and I pinned that photo up on the wall to make me feel motivated each time I saw it

I also bought my own bench and weights so I could train for free at home...but soon figured out I worked out harder in the gym

Being slim, I never really watched my diet either...just ate as much protein as I could....and beer was never something I had at home in those days....I couldnt care less about drinking in those days...thankfully...except the one night a week Id be out on the pull, and even then Id drink spirits...which dont pile the fat on

I also came to know Id never look like the Incredible Hulk too....not without steroids anyway...and accepted that....and again this is what I meant when I said have realistic goals....

years passed, sometimes I was mad for the gym and there were months that I couldnt be bothered...then I saw an ad for a personal trainer..WELL... that appealed to me...id learnt how to train, could name every muscle, and was totally confident....applied for the job, part question time and part practical, and got the job. Now I was in a gym and getting paid for it....and so worked out at the end of every shift...and got totally back into it

Years go by, 2 sons etc, different careers, and now....Im 50. I turn 51 in March and funny enough.....Im thinking....Im single....I have drunk too many beers over the years....I dont like what I see in the mirror, and Im getting older...so yes....Ive been planning a comeback..

Good thread mate!

• Like 4

BTW, Creatine powder seems to be the 'in thing' nowadays

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

...except the one night a week Id be out on the pull,

A very British way of describing an intent to "pick-up" someone at a nightspot !

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

A very British way of describing an intent to "pick-up" someone at a nightspot !

Indeed....what every young man WANTS to go out for!!   :lol: We'd do our work in the week, and come the weekend, with wages in our pockets, a new shirt and loads of Brut aftershave (why oh why did I wear that crap) :lol:  It would be a crawl of the pubs looking for any talent...then a club where you hoped you hadnt had a shower for nothing! :lol:

Plus the reality is....so do the women go out and on the pull, or to get pulled.., well, many of them any way

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Image result for judge judy gif

That might have came out wrong. Damnit there i go again. Just use this photo of the guy erecting the weight as referenced. Son of a, what is wrong with this keyboard. I swear it's not me.

20110401125533-clean-jerk-100-of-your-body-weight.jpg

• Like 1

It might just be me, but rote exercise is incredibly, insufferably boring. What is the point of lifting something up, just to put it down again ? Might as well have left it there ! Did anyone ever see gorillas doing sit-ups ? They aren't that stupid !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It might just be me, but rote exercise is incredibly, insufferably boring. What is the point of lifting something up, just to put it down again ? Might as well have left it there ! Did anyone ever see gorillas doing sit-ups ? They aren't that stupid !

Yea, it's just you.  Human beings understand things that gorillas don't.

• Like 2

Have always been interested heavily in diet and physical fitness for as long as I can remember. Even as a youngster I seemed to be aware of what we eat and the amount of excercise we get are hugely important for proper health.I started in gyms which was ok but soon realized for me I needed to be outside doing this! I am lucky where I live that the seasons allow it tho its full rain gear in winter.So I researched, went out and bought a kayak and also a mountain bike, this is 30yrs ago now. I thought kayak for upper body workout, mountain bike for lower. I have circuits that i do, time myself and am always trying to beat my best.Its a different approach then the gym, have considered lately about trying again.I use protien shakes for fuel, focus on natural organic foods, slip up with bacon cheeseburger and beer from time to time.:)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It might just be me, but rote exercise is incredibly, insufferably boring.

Youre either into it...or you aint. Its that simple, some people want to further improve themselves....some dont care and cant be bothered. Id personally find it boring to throw a javelin every day for hours...but for those who do...and bring home the gold from the Olympics, well...what an achievement

What is the point of lifting something up, just to put it down again ? Might as well have left it there ! Did anyone ever see gorillas doing sit-ups ? They aren't that stupid !

Primates, Apes/Gorillas etc  by virtue of lifestyle swinging on branches....are much stronger than any man...they have to lift and swing their weight just to get about...so no...they dont need to workout....daily life is a workout.

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Gorillas aren't arboreal to my knowledge, and spend most of their time doing nothing strenuous. They certainly don't have the mirrors to look at themselves flexing their muscles though. If they did, who knows.......

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Gorillas aren't arboreal to my knowledge, and spend most of their time doing nothing strenuous. They certainly don't have the mirrors to look at themselves flexing their muscles though. If they did, who knows.......

I actually said,

Primates, Apes/Gorillas etc 

but you just choose one out of the sentence

Heres a baby Gorilla

• Like 1

Seeder, I was the one who started talking about gorillas, but ask yourself this, what animals have exercise routines, or go on diets ? Besides humans ?

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Seeder, I was the one who started talking about gorillas, but ask yourself this, what animals have exercise routines, or go on diets ? Besides humans ?

animals live a life that requires them to be of a certain strength just to live, they dont eat junk-foods and dont drink or smoke

Man however....is a totally lazy lump of lard....we SIT in our cars to go to work, we SIT while we work (unless manual labour)...we SIT to eat and often eat more than we need...we come home and SIT all night watching telly....perhaps drinking booze...until the next day when we spend all that time sitting again

Hey my stepdad, self made millionaire...worked hard all his life (in property). Id see him, shirt off, sweating, digging trenches to a certain depth to lay sewer pipes... digging foundations for yet another house he was going to build...carrying hods of bricks up his ladder as he built yet another level of bricks in a wall.. then come down and get a bucket of mortar....he just mixed with a shovel.. and blah blah blah.... none of which are light either...

People would ask.....why....when he was rich, didnt he hire a gang to help him? Why...didnt he hire a digger to dig foundations etc? Well,he was tight with his money, and besides....what else was he going to do all day was an answer he would give

The mans body was like the Sly Stalones.... a chest any man would dream for....arms that looked solid, strong, with good sized biceps.. he never worked out either ....just worked hard every day

Not everyone can do that. A lot of us have jobs that involve using no part of the body except our brains...and keyboards, and when I was a personal trainer...id be embarrassed at seeing some guys struggle with a 20 pound dumbell...

• Like 2

I suspect diet has a lot to answer for. Look back at a photo of a crowd from the 1960's, and see how many fat people you can see, typically very few of either sex, or any age. Today it is a different story, and really it has not so much to do with strenuous physical labour back then. Smoking has some impact, it does keep people thin, but there is something going on in the diet that has not been identified. One thing that has changed is the oils and fats, changed from animal fats to seed oils. I don't know what the culprit is, but the advent of foods sweetened with corn syrup has also occurred in this time span.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Hi All!!

Been threatening to do this for a long time.

I joined a Gym about two years ago, never done it in my life before then. I have found the benefits from the workouts and the dieting tips to be immensely helpful and it has changed my life. I thought we could chat in here about experiences, advices, workouts, goals, achievements, pretty much anything related to a healthy lifestyle. 

When I first started, my cardio circuit took me 18 minutes. The average was 9-11 minutes. Damn it hurt. Wasn't sure I could stick it out, but I found the idea of quitting less appealing, especially admitting it to my friends. So I stuck it out. I learned that pain is just weakness leaving the body. I got that down to 8 minutes eventually and am feeling better than I ever have.

Had an awesome week, broken my PB's (personal best) now lifting my own bodyweight, I am pushing a sled at 1 1/2 times my bodyweight, and I am almost (20 Kg's away) from a deadlift of double my bodyweight.

Never thought I would be doing this as I hit 50! (Next year) 

Anyways, I thought if people are interested in discussing their experiences I would love to hear what you are doing, and how you are going. Crimson King and I have had a few excellent discussions on the subject, and I have been wondering if more people here are into health and fitness. 

First up, Pre Workout. Anyone try this magnificent stuff? Love it myself, I used a brand called Cree-Pump. It is all natural, no caffeine and gives a mighty hit. Crimson King put me onto some Mr Hyde - brilliant stuff! Currently I am using a brand called Metabolic Bioshock. Mainly because it was ridiculously cheap, and I could not pass by it. Seems pretty good, but Nutrition Warehouse people always recommend PreFX, which is also pretty good, and budget priced I find. Anyone tried Titan? I see that a lot, well priced as well, but not sure how good it is. All suggestions welcome - let's hear, what are you using?

Mr-Hyde-Pre-Workout.jpggenetixnutrition-prefx-60serves-watermel

genetix-nutrition-crea-pump-max-tropical

Nutrition - VERY important aspect, one of my favourite memes:

11386524_686522558140640_1681735384_n.jp

Is so true I find. Just basic maths, 2+2=4. You need fuel to make gains. Planning ahead is a great idea. As suggested above, a  few days of ready to go meals makes this task easier to achieve. Best fast food on the planet!

Again, would love to hear from people, Does the Paleo diet work for you? How do you get the snacks in to increase your intake? Personally, I run with beef jerky, boiled eggs, chees sticks and nuts for snacks. And I do my level best to get 6 meals in a day, even if one or two are somthing protein shakes. But I always try to get there.

Rule of thumb that might be handy to some. If you want gains, take your desired weight, double that, and that is how many grams of protein you need to get into you each day. If you weigh 80 kilos. then you need to ingest 160 grams of protein. And remember - you have to count your protein. 100 grams of red meat does not equal 100 grams of protein, it equals roughly about 30 grams. 

LINK - Protein Counting Chart.

I rather like this link for an exercise guide, pretty hectic, but it does have levels of beginner intermediate and BEAST.

LINK - Menshealth the Spartan 300 Workout

I think we can support each other, offer advices, and just boast form time to time :D Have it it, we have heard enough from me, who else loves their fitness here at UM? I really want to hear from you. 

Glad to see one of us finally got this started :tu:

As for me i started boxing at age 9 but really started getting into fitness and nutrition around 12 to get bigger,stronger,and faster!

Been working at gyms for several years now and a personal trainer for 5+ now,i really enjoy threads like these because there is always something new right around the corner weather it's a new routine or supplement...Some work some don't!

As for supplements starting with pre workouts i change mine up aswell from time to time as the human body is stubborn and adapts fairly easily my favorites are Hyde and BullNox,multivitamin just to cover my bases,Carnivore is my base protein but i keep a blended protein on hand for immediatly after workouts for both fast and slow digesting repair,BCAA's,vitamin D,melatonin,creatine,and usually a T booster...

As always for a friendly reminder,ALWAYS check with your personal physician before starting any diet or exercise routine or taking any supplements!

Doesn't matter if some nut thinks they are highly qualified and knows better,your dr is far more qualified and can help you get started safely!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

Most animals exercise routines consist of gathering food for survival but not us...

Most animals drink almost exclusively water and eat extremely healthy diets in the wild...

Some domesticated animals do have exercise routines that they have to be put on because there owners feed them far to much and keep them sedentary sitting around inside a house all day.

• Like 2

@psyche101

Thanks for the happy b-day on the "other" thread :tu:

As i told you i hit my all time 1RM,i said "just shy" of 400 lbs it was 380 lbs but "just shy" sounds better :lol:

400 was my personal goal and has been over 2 years in the making,but i think i'm going to leave that to the bigger guys as i don't think i could have budged another 2 1/2 lb plate!

No joke i popped a couple of blood vessels in one of my eyes pushing that haha!

Biggest improvement in strength for me over that 2 year span was focusing more on my upper chest!

Honestly dude nearing 50 and only being back in the gym around 2 years your stats are impressive!Do you take any kind of T-boosters?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, khol said:

https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/weight-control-39/obesity-health-news-505/why-is-there-an-obesity-epidemic-644677.html

http://www.sugarstacks.com/beverages.htm

Its the age we live in.Fast food, sugar intake.The internet.Everything is far to convienient for people these days

When I was a kid, fresh food was cheap and plentiful, processed foods expensive and more an occasional treat. Today it is the opposite. It certainly does not help in curbing obesity.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bubblykiss said:

Am I drunker than normal or did you get hacked?

LOL, you do have me intrigued though, may I ask why you would see this out of character with my other posting? 

In the news, before and after pics

The man who proves you CAN get a six-pack at 40: Businessman reveals the incredibly simple secrets behind his transformation (including ditching cereals and pasta)

Hetan Petal, 40, from Surrey, wanted to get rid of his flabby stomach
    Hetan weighed 13 stone and dropped to 10 stone in five months
    Body fat went from 24.3 per cent to just 10 per cent
    He made simple tweaks to his diet and amped up workout regime

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4029504/The-man-proves-six-pack-40-Businessman-reveals-incredibly-simple-secrets-transformation-including-ditching-cereals-pasta.html#ixzz4SxVji0Se

• Like 2