Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gym

psyche101

1 hour ago, CrimsonKing said:

I've had some that just completely bloated a person,i've had others that really helped me get stronger lifts equating to more power and bigger actual muscles! ;)

Not all creatine is created equal lol

I have seen some cheap one at Chemist Warehouse but never game to try them.

I figure what is in my Preworkout is probably sufficient. Bought some decent stuff, but found remembering when to take it messed up the cycle I was supposed to be on, and I had it in preworkout, so was not sure if I was overdosing, so I have not really bothered any more than that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Habitat said:

You are very predictable Frank, which is nearly as boring as these exercises. 

I guess I just enjoy irritating you, a sort of revenge I guess since you sure do irritate me.  Really, though, have you no idea how some of the silly things you say come across?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

edit, just realised the vid shows a woman....BUT its NOT a woman doing the ropes, so do watch

I would not have a problem watching her demonstrate :D

I have done the waves he shows up there - single arm and double, but not the others. I have seen one he did not demonstrate - push ups with Burpees. Side to side would be taxing. 

Ever tried them? They really work you. I find the ropes and the sled the hardest workouts by a long shot. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Man, aren't you the dark horse! Had no idea you were so fit! 55 Pounds! That is pretty darn impressive. Equals what we call 25 kilos down here, I tend to use 20 kilos for 5 reps, but that maxes me out! Your workouts with your job seem to offer tremendous benefits! Geez, man I am impressed! 

We had a site job about a year ago. We were putting a drainage shoot off of a hydro electric dam. 4 sections roughly 200+ pounds a piece. I was the only one physically able to pull those about 10ish foot then 10 more to along the guide rails, held it there so my cousin could weld it. I was sore as all hell for 2 months after that. But I'm not big. My arms are only about 16". You'd figure with all the heavy stuff I've lifted I'd be monstrous. No matter how well I dieted I just a hardgainer. Last time I went to the gym which was maybe 6 years ago I got on the one arm row machine, did maybe 3 or 4 reps with 3 100 pound plates with each arm. I didn't think much of it, but I got some odd looks. It's funny though I can't bench for chit. I'm lucky to bench a 100 pounds. lol

I've never really thought that what I could do was impressive. I just tried to see if I could. My back is strong, the rest of me not so much. I guess that's the results of working with steel for a living. Tendon strength. I've heard that before but didn't put much thought. If I'm remembering correctly it went " The stronger the tendons, the stronger you'll be." Can't remember the source. Back where I started doing the muscle control I did a ton of isometrics. Built a device like the one Bruce Lee used. I recommend it.

7e821ae065fece824baa37af30420973.jpg

I had a theory (or guess lol), that by flexing as hard as I could for 10 seconds I was teaching my muscle to exert more force. With the isometrics I was strengthening the tendons equal to the contractile force of my muscles. But practically speaking I never saw numbers as impressive, if it was functional and helped in daily life then that's more important to me. The most weight an average person will have to curl is a tad over 20 pounds. I think a basic workout of push-ups, sit-ups, free squats, calve raises, and dumbbells would be efficient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

And dont forget....focusing on biceps wont make bigger upper arms...the triceps also account for upper arm size....and man I loved all triceps exercises, at my best youd see them even when I was  relaxed

Good call!, the bench will be a real battle otherwise, I work Triceps with an exercises we call "Dumbbell Skull Crushers".

ETA 

and bench dips!

344_2.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I would not have a problem watching her demonstrate :D

I have done the waves he shows up there - single arm and double, but not the others. I have seen one he did not demonstrate - push ups with Burpees. Side to side would be taxing. 

Ever tried them? They really work you. I find the ropes and the sled the hardest workouts by a long shot. 

Nah never tried the ropes, in fact never even seen them at a gym!  Not a mans gym anyway

ever heard of this on your TV's sales channel?

Insanity workouts!

• Like 2

Then we will eat some venison and smash some neighborhoods like good barbarians :lol: :tu:

Yes we will!! Like so!

• Like 1

These are typical of what I had done

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Damn dude yours hasn't dropped heavily after your early 40's that's great man!I

I put it down to diet, I come for a European Background and the family have always been big eaters, lots of meats, plenty of fresh veggies and I am big on salads with Apple Cider dressings. And I just always continued to eat like that, a couple of laughs at the Xmas party a few weeks ago, had a buffet and people were going - can you get any more on the plate? 

take them during heavy lifting cycles just to stave off any catabolic irregularities that happen in life...Stress,insomnia,ect. ;)

:tu:

Thanks! I have had a fair bit of stress recently, I will have to speak to the neighbours about getting some into me. Do you take during, before or after workouts? 

As for legs with arms i have know some with great results and the science is sound but holy hell after i torch my legs...i don't no how much i would have left for arms lol

I hear ya! This is what I am like after the 100kg sled............ I just put a 20Kg plate on it sometimes, and get my son to sit on the sled for rides while I push it :D

I do a lot of different splits but when going heavy as i'm currently doing i do chest and back,arms and shoulders,legs and abs,and 1 total body workout over 8 days...then i start over...

Reminds me - mobility!

Important subject to bring to light!!

The window is a strange beast lol...

:yes:

I always have my shake right after i finish,the old truth was immediatly after or within no less than 45 min.Recent research says the optimum window doesn't close for 3 to 4 hours :blink: I will stick with tried and true,no more than 1 hour!

Wow! I thought it was getting down, a few weeks ago our coaches told us to bring the half hour back to 20 minutes. 

I agree, cannot lose then, if it really is 3-4 hours, then we have that well and truly covered! 

Yep :tu: BCAA's while training,i do the exact same thing!

:tu: I just put a spoonful in my water, cannot taste it, it is all good. 

Do you bother with the rehydration supplements? I saw an interesting experiment on hydration a few weeks ago, apparently Milk is the best way to rehydrate because of the proteins and oils sitting in the stomach. They used 16 men and 16 women as subjects and 100% across the board, milk won out big time!

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Just as an aside......

:lol:  when I was younger...in a mans type manly gym with huge lumps working out..... they had like a juice bar, where they also sold powders and t shirts etc...and this cute fit young lady was behind the desk. a new girl I had my eye on...

well Id been on the arm blaster.....a bit of kit that stops you doing bad form on curls, and isolates the biceps..... (good bit of kit, I went and bought one too)

armblasterreview.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Id heard of the train to failure theory....where you basically forget sets and reps....and just do any exercise....to failure...one set of as many as you can till...you fail to lift it again

Then I did a heavy tricep workout, again to failure...... man my arms...in that 'just trained'  period after training....were PUMPED UP!  In my vest they looked....like hard, fit, strong arms, and shapely.... I was pleased how they looked....so swaggered over to the juice bar and sat on the stool...looked at the juice bar drinks menu....ordered something that came in a pint......and was pleased to see the girl had to turn her back while she made my drink....I admired all of her, specially that tight shapely bum...

well she gave me my drink, I paid and started on my small talk.... she seemed up for a chat too, then, with my right hand, I took the pint to have a sip....and OH MY GOD... I could barely lift it....my hand was trembling and had to quickly put my left hand under it to guide it to my mouth :lol:  I felt like a total idiot as she's seen me shaking that glass... and I was glad to put it down too

embarrassed I continued my small talk.... 5 mins later I wasnt feeling trembly....so picked the pint glass up again for another drink....and again....my hands and arms shook with the effort.....I was shocked that Id just been lifting proper weight....and now...couldnt even pick a pint up without using both hands!  :lol:

No I didnt get anywhere with her....left the drink and the gym feeling totally demolished!

Training to failure...I found, was a great workout....but one you dont do every day!

Heres what I mean by training to failure

https://www.t-nation.com/training/single-best-muscle-building-method

• Like 2

Arm Blaster.... not expensive to buy....a decent gym may have a few hanging near the weights stack

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We had a site job about a year ago. We were putting a drainage shoot off of a hydro electric dam. 4 sections roughly 200+ pounds a piece. I was the only one physically able to pull those about 10ish foot then 10 more to along the guide rails, held it there so my cousin could weld it. I was sore as all hell for 2 months after that. But I'm not big. My arms are only about 16". You'd figure with all the heavy stuff I've lifted I'd be monstrous. No matter how well I dieted I just a hardgainer. Last time I went to the gym which was maybe 6 years ago I got on the one arm row machine, did maybe 3 or 4 reps with 3 100 pound plates with each arm. I didn't think much of it, but I got some odd looks. It's funny though I can't bench for chit. I'm lucky to bench a 100 pounds. lol

It honestly sounds like if you were to test yourself that you would very much surprise yourself. 

I've never really thought that what I could do was impressive. I just tried to see if I could. My back is strong, the rest of me not so much. I guess that's the results of working with steel for a living. Tendon strength. I've heard that before but didn't put much thought. If I'm remembering correctly it went " The stronger the tendons, the stronger you'll be." Can't remember the source. Back where I started doing the muscle control I did a ton of isometrics. Built a device like the one Bruce Lee used. I recommend it.

55 pound arm curls are impressive, and you know what they say - curls get the girls. 

I had a theory (or guess lol), that by flexing as hard as I could for 10 seconds I was teaching my muscle to exert more force. With the isometrics I was strengthening the tendons equal to the contractile force of my muscles. But practically speaking I never saw numbers as impressive, if it was functional and helped in daily life then that's more important to me. The most weight an average person will have to curl is a tad over 20 pounds. I think a basic workout of push-ups, sit-ups, free squats, calve raises, and dumbbells would be efficient. 

For sure, bodyweight exercises can offer massive results, look at those guys on the rings in Gymnastics at the Olympics! Gun show!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Nah never tried the ropes, in fact never even seen them at a gym!  Not a mans gym anyway

ever heard of this on your TV's sales channel?

Insanity workouts!

That looks like insane Cardio!

I saw a video where they say that with Cardio, you continue to burn both muscle and ft for the next 24 hours, but with weight training, you only burn fat for the next 24 hours. Have not seen that one on the TV sales channel, everytime I see them, it seems to be the wobble board. 

I often train to fail, we do it all the time at our workouts. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

No joke freakish tendon strength is a blessing,though it is hard to really get much repetitive control over unless really focused it is a impressive feature to have!

Tendons strengthen and adapt much more slowly than muscles and that is where many falter and get set back!

I learned this loooong ago!

No joke since i retired from active competition i have focused more on strength gains and that was almost 3 years ago.After a s****y wtf 6 month break i started back lifting and there are 6 guys in my gym that can currently out lift me...

But 4 of those guys kinda gave me inspiration,as i said previously i just recently hit 380 on bench press for a 1rm,my goal starting back over 2 years ago was to atleast lift 1 damn time what the giants in my gym lifted!

My first heaviest lifts were in Dec '14 at 320,my next max 365 Dec '15,a few days back 380 '16... All that in a lil over 2 years with a goal personally in mind.

Rome wasn't built in a day is really the perfect saying...

I never hit 400 lbs on bench but i steadily built over 2 years to get there and have decided to finish on that note and accept sometimes we humans have limits to our own bodies...Now i'm on to my next challenge!

To end i wasn't born with freakish tendon strength,you sound like you were!Drop them sweets and you could be a beast!

Your not much older than me dude!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Just as an aside......

:lol:  when I was younger...in a mans type manly gym with huge lumps working out..... they had like a juice bar, where they also sold powders and t shirts etc...and this cute fit young lady was behind the desk. a new girl I had my eye on...

well Id been on the arm blaster.....a bit of kit that stops you doing bad form on curls, and isolates the biceps..... (good bit of kit, I went and bought one too)

armblasterreview.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Id heard of the train to failure theory....where you basically forget sets and reps....and just do any exercise....to failure...one set of as many as you can till...you fail to lift it again

Then I did a heavy tricep workout, again to failure...... man my arms...in that 'just trained'  period after training....were PUMPED UP!  In my vest they looked....like hard, fit, strong arms, and shapely.... I was pleased how they looked....so swaggered over to the juice bar and sat on the stool...looked at the juice bar drinks menu....ordered something that came in a pint......and was pleased to see the girl had to turn her back while she made my drink....I admired all of her, specially that tight shapely bum...

well she gave me my drink, I paid and started on my small talk.... she seemed up for a chat too, then, with my right hand, I took the pint to have a sip....and OH MY GOD... I could barely lift it....my hand was trembling and had to quickly put my left hand under it to guide it to my mouth :lol:  I felt like a total idiot as she's seen me shaking that glass... and I was glad to put it down too

embarrassed I continued my small talk.... 5 mins later I wasnt feeling trembly....so picked the pint glass up again for another drink....and again....my hands and arms shook with the effort.....I was shocked that Id just been lifting proper weight....and now...couldnt even pick a pint up without using both hands!  :lol:

No I didnt get anywhere with her....left the drink and the gym feeling totally demolished!

Training to failure...I found, was a great workout....but one you dont do every day!

Heres what I mean by training to failure

https://www.t-nation.com/training/single-best-muscle-building-method

:tu::tu: 

That is hilarious man!!

Bit like this .......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

this thread is here to motivate.

I think I'm going to start back on the training again. It'll be nothing more than a few body weight exercise and dynamic self-resistance, but I can do those any where at any time.:tu:

I'll try to keep a record here if that's not a problem. Kind of a way to hold myself accountable.

• Like 3

Thread cleaned

Let's not bring this discussion down with needless negativity and bickering.

Back on topic please.

• Like 4

On 12/16/2016 at 5:35 AM, XenoFish said:

I think I'm going to start back on the training again. It'll be nothing more than a few body weight exercise and dynamic self-resistance, but I can do those any where at any time.:tu:

I'll try to keep a record here if that's not a problem. Kind of a way to hold myself accountable.

No problem at all man,that's kinda what me and psyche had in mind when first discussing this topic long ago!

Though i believe this topic can/will pick up more after the next 2 weeks...Holidays are time for slacking off :lol:

My b-day,Christmas,and New Years all fall within a 2 1/2 week time frame so i kinda fall off the rails till Jan 2 lol

If you don't like using weights or the gym is too much of a pain to deal with timing wise,ever tried resistance bands?

I used to scoff and kinda laugh them off until recoving from surgery once learned just how badass they can be!

Easy on the joints,constant resistance on the positive and the negative,can work almost every muscle group with them,and really cheap!About $20 and they usually will last 6 months to a year without snapping depending on the brand.Well worth a 20 dollar investment! :tu:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

If you don't like using weights or the gym is too much of a pain to deal with timing wise,ever tried resistance bands?

Yeah I've used them before. I'm always afraid one'll snap again and hit me in the face (that hurt). With the self-resistance exercise you can either do them isometrically (no movement) or dynamically (firm tension). It's more of an isokinetic thing. Which I've found to be more comfortable for me. As I'm a bit beat up. Plus I occasionally do heavy lifting at work. So hitting they gym isn't good for me.

9 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Easy on the joints,constant resistance on the positive and the negative,can work almost every muscle group with them,and really cheap!About $20 and they usually will last 6 months to a year without snapping depending on the brand.Well worth a 20 dollar investment! :tu:

The self-resistance exercises are free.:lol:

Push-ups, sit-ups, deep knee bends (free squats), and calve raise to go with them. It's not about getting bodybuilder big, it's about feeling good. I've got no one to impress. Plus I can keep at it till I'm old, grey, and half dead.:tu:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah I've used them before. I'm always afraid one'll snap again and hit me in the face (that hurt). With the self-resistance exercise you can either do them isometrically (no movement) or dynamically (firm tension). It's more of an isokinetic thing. Which I've found to be more comfortable for me. As I'm a bit beat up. Plus I occasionally do heavy lifting at work. So hitting they gym isn't good for me.

The self-resistance exercises are free.:lol:

Push-ups, sit-ups, deep knee bends (free squats), and calve raise to go with them. It's not about getting bodybuilder big, it's about feeling good. I've got no one to impress. Plus I can keep at it till I'm old, grey, and half dead.:tu:

Yeah lol,that't a b**** when getting smacked unexpectedly :lol:

No doubt man,one can do tons of bodyweight exercises with no equipment at all!Bands mainly helped me rebuild my shoulder without any real impact on the joint,and i continue to use them to this day for my rear delts as they need worked as often as the front and sides but are hard to hit safely when tiring...

I hear ya man,whatever makes you feel best!

One wont really get bodybuilder big from bands,just figured i'd mention them as they are easy on the body.

• Like 2

The thing I like about the dynamic self-resistance exercise (DSR) is that there is no sticking point. Which happens when you lift weights. The tension is constant and through a full range of motion. It's less stressful on the joints.

Isokinetic exercise is a type of strength training in which specialized machines, or dynamometers, maintain a constant speed of movement. It typically blends the intense contractions of isometric exercises with the range of motion achieved in isotonic exercises, and can provide a maximal strength workout.

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/example-isokinetic-exercise-would-what-14590.html

Isokinetic exercise is an exercise that utilizes a range of motion while controlling the speed of contraction. In isokinetic exercise, there is a constant speed of the movement with a set amount of resistance.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/the-benefits-of-isokinetic-exercise.html

Since I'm using muscle against muscle. I can keep the tension constant. So it's isokinetic. I'm cheap:lol:. I'm also the kind of person who'd make a pair of dumbbells using sand and gallon water jugs. A bit of rope and some pvc pipe to make a decent handle. :tu:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The thing I like about the dynamic self-resistance exercise (DSR) is that there is no sticking point. Which happens when you lift weights. The tension is constant and through a full range of motion. It's less stressful on the joints.

Isokinetic exercise is a type of strength training in which specialized machines, or dynamometers, maintain a constant speed of movement. It typically blends the intense contractions of isometric exercises with the range of motion achieved in isotonic exercises, and can provide a maximal strength workout.

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/example-isokinetic-exercise-would-what-14590.html

Isokinetic exercise is an exercise that utilizes a range of motion while controlling the speed of contraction. In isokinetic exercise, there is a constant speed of the movement with a set amount of resistance.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/the-benefits-of-isokinetic-exercise.html

Since I'm using muscle against muscle. I can keep the tension constant. So it's isokinetic. I'm cheap:lol:. I'm also the kind of person who'd make a pair of dumbbells using sand and gallon water jugs. A bit of rope and some pvc pipe to make a decent handle. :tu:

I have done isokenetic exercise's some in the past and no doubt they do work!

:lol: i've been there before,i have hand made many different gym "tools" in years past...

Sometimes things like that can work even better than the "one size fits all tools" most use at gyms because you can customize them to your own build.

I think you said you are a machinist?You could probably build all kinda good s*** to use if you felt good enough to use it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

I think you said you are a machinist?You could probably build all kinda good s*** to use if you felt good enough to use it!

I made a sledgehammer that I could attach dumbbells to. I had a 30 pound one on the end of it. You don't realize how many muscles are involved with hammering a tire till the next day.:blink:

I've built chin-up/pull-up bars. An isometric exercise rack. Which allowed me to do a few one arm chins after 3 months of daily isometric effort. I've even built a few grip machines. My last one went of to 200 lbs. I need to build another one of those. I've always had this thing for forearm and grip training. Man I really need to build stuff again.<_<

I've got enough room in my cabin for the iso-rack. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I made a sledgehammer that I could attach dumbbells to. I had a 30 pound one on the end of it. You don't realize how many muscles are involved with hammering a tire till the next day.:blink:

I've built chin-up/pull-up bars. An isometric exercise rack. Which allowed me to do a few one arm chins after 3 months of daily isometric effort. I've even built a few grip machines. My last one went of to 200 lbs. I need to build another one of those. I've always had this thing for forearm and grip training. Man I really need to build stuff again.<_<

I've got enough room in my cabin for the iso-rack. 

Oh yes i do!!!That and chopping wood!...Though chopping wood can be hell on joints so i stopped doing that and started the sledge and tractor tire.

When i still fought my pre training routine was doing stations,usually anywhere from 6-10 stations...1 minute intervals on each with a 30 second break between each station.

In any order

Sledge on tire,tire flip,box jumps,battle ropes,tire pull,farmers carries,medicine ball slams,and 2 or 3 others i can't even remember at the time being.

Run through that 3 or 4 times then start fight training (boxing,wrestling,jiu jitsu)

That almost sounds sadistic to me now :lol:

200 lbs?...Holy s***,i want one of those!!!

That is one of the most ignored muscle groups that probably help more on almost any lift than any other FOREARMS! :tu: They are also practical in day to day life!

As i said man feel free to update your progress at any time!

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 3

On 12/16/2016 at 9:35 PM, XenoFish said:

Man, we would LOVE to have your record. Great way to notice the progress, and it will motivate us as well, bring it on! :D

• Like 1