Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadians warned about car-licking moose

Still Waters

Officials in western Canada are warning motorists not to interact with moose if they find the animals licking salt off their cars.

An alert issued by the province of Alberta's government says that moose are approaching vehicles in car parks near two trails in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, and warns people not to try to push the animals away while on foot.

It advises that the recommended "moose viewing distance" is 30m (100ft), and any car-licking creatures should be deterred by either sounding a horn or using a remote door alarm instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-38329779

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Are salted vehicles the norm in Canada?

(They salt the roads to break down the ice, cars pick up the salt as they drive...  And speaking as a moose, its nice to have the salt a bit higher so we don't have to bend down as far to get at it...)

Edited by Taun
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Some like em sweet, we like em salty...apparently so do moose.

• Like 3

The Alberta warning is in place until further notice, and officials are asking people to report any "aggressive moose encounters" immediately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-38329779

If did not sound horn or alarm quick enough, would it be best to let the moose just like your car clean of salt - in case it gets aggressive? 

• Like 2

The unfortunate thing about this is not all deicing mixtures are salt anymore.  Some are mixed with a glycol or other chemical the extents the salt's life span.  These chemicals are poisonous to many animals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

In the places where it snows, yes. Roads, cars, sidewalks are all salted to stop ice forming. Cars get a lot of salt buildup, as a result. It's not a problem for the parts of the country that don't get snow, but the snowy bits are salty.

• Like 2

In Russia no salt is used anywhere on the highways, only the slow plowing machines. May be it's becuase Russians are more superstitious than Canadians. ))) In fact, I cannot tell anything about Moscow or other major cities in the western Russia, but in Siberia no deicing is used, so we all use the studded tires in winter and try to drive carefully.

• Like 3

I had to show my daughter this story.  

We used to have a salt block in the field for our cows.  We would find deer at it all the time.  Makes me wonder what we didn't see visiting

• Like 1

I wonder why some animals like salt so much. Heard that mountain goats, for example, will brave treacherous canyon walls to lick salt. And with domesticated cattle it's a must to have salt blocks.

For these animals, why?

Not enough of the important nutrient in their diet? Anyone know?

All animals need salt. For domesticated animals like dogs and cats, it's added to their food. For horses and cattles, loose salt or salt licks can be provided. In the wild, horses (and deer, moose, goats, etc) can travel to find salt to get what they need but in groomed pastures on farms they don't have the same access to natural salt so we have to provide it.

• Like 1

911: "What is your emergency?"

Caller: "A moose has its tounge and lips stuck to my bumper"

911: "Sir, this is not an adult hotline" 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, pallidin said:

911: "What is your emergency?"

Caller: "A moose has its tounge and lips stuck to my bumper"

911: "Sir, this is not an adult hotline" 

A new A Christmas Story needs to be written. I tripple moose dare you! Says one moose to Bowinkle who ends up stuck to a car LOL

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Moose! That's Scottish for Mouse.

I was in a pub in Scotland and overheard a farmer complaining about his sick "coo". It took me a while to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

• Like 1

It seems like it should be a no-brainer that you don't shove a moose, but they have to be saying it because someone did it. 

• Like 1

I think if a moose is licking your car, well...you're just staying home. Turn around and go back inside. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seanjo said:

Moose! That's Scottish for Mouse.

Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose!