Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jediism ruled not a religion

Still Waters

Jediism, the worship of the mythology of Star Wars, is not a religion, the Charity Commission has ruled.

The commission rejected an application to grant charitable status to The Temple of the Jedi Order.

It said Jediism did not "promote moral or ethical improvement" for charity law purposes in England and Wales.

In the 2011 census, 177,000 people declared themselves Jedi under the religion section, making it the seventh most popular religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38368526

• Like 4

... a great disturbance to the Force I sense ... I do ... rightful place of the Jedi , take back we must ...

~

• Like 5

It said Jediism did not "promote moral or ethical improvement" for charity law purposes in England and Wales.

Everybody wants to be tax-free these days...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

There are so many charities they're reliant on charity.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

yup..

though Jedi has as much merit as Scientology

• Like 6

I dunno, Jediism seems just as legit as anything else out there right now.

• Like 5

Maybe if they stopped playing with their light sabers, they'd be taken seriously. :whistle:

Is hypocrisy an improvement?  Lot's of religions father that!

Jediism started as a way to avoid tax and frankly it really hasn't progressed much since then, it's quite a large joke and hopefully will stay that way. It would be a very sad day in western culture if "Jediism" actually became a religion. (Which it isn't). Totally agree with the Commission here on the homepage article when they state:

"The Commission considers that there is insufficient evidence that Jediism and the Jedi Doctrine as promoted by the Temple of the Jedia Order is a sufficiently structured, organised or integrated system of belief to constitute a religion," 

Jediism is not formally recognised as a religion by any official sources because most people are well aware it's a complete farce.

20 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

Jediism is not formally recognised as a religion by any official sources because most people are well aware it's a complete farce.

Just like scientology and mormonism, then?

• Like 4

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM, LostSouls7 said:

I like the Jedi religion

Well, it is based on The Force. As I am a worshipper of nature, which could be another name for the Force, it works for me!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IamthemanfromNantucket said:

Even Helen Keller could see that.

OH....too soon, too soon.

12 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Well, it is based on The Force. As I am a worshipper of nature, which could be another name for the Force, it works for me!

But, does your Nature move things with your mind?  Play mind tricks with your enemies?  Is it made up of millions of midichlorines....ah, nevermind.  Those three prequels were terrible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thorvir said:

But, does your Nature move things with your mind?  Play mind tricks with your enemies?  Is it made up of millions of midichlorines....ah, nevermind.  Those three prequels were terrible.

If my nature could move things with my mind :rofl:  I would be a faithful disciple of Jediism.

• Like 2

Based on as much fact as other Religions so I don't see the problem. Maybe when we've all been wiped out a handful of survivors will find a Star Wars Novel and base their lives around it. We can only hope.

• Like 4

Wait the Church of Scientology claims its a religion and is tax free but they wont recognize the way of the force? What bull **** is this?

• Like 4

On 2016-12-20 at 3:18 PM, Unfortunately said:

Jediism started as a way to avoid tax and frankly it really hasn't progressed much since then, it's quite a large joke and hopefully will stay that way. It would be a very sad day in western culture if "Jediism" actually became a religion. (Which it isn't). Totally agree with the Commission here on the homepage article when they state:

"The Commission considers that there is insufficient evidence that Jediism and the Jedi Doctrine as promoted by the Temple of the Jedia Order is a sufficiently structured, organised or integrated system of belief to constitute a religion," 

Religions shouldn't be tax-exempt at all. Considering Jediism is as valid as any other belief system...well, they deserve it if they want it.

• Like 2