Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Blue eyes....are actually brown

seeder

Think you have blue eyes? They are actually BROWN: Optical illusion causes some irises to appear a different colour

Eye colour is determined by the amount of pigment melanin in the iris
    This is the chemical that also affects skin tone and hair colour
    Where more melanin is present, the iris appears brown as more light is absorbed
    In its lowest concentrations less light is absorbed and so more is reflected back out, giving the iris a blue hue

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4048082/Think-blue-eyes-actually-BROWN-Optical-illusion-causes-irises-appear-different-colour.html#ixzz4TLgHy9bz

• Like 1

No no no I have 2 blue eyes...  (plus one brown)

Edited by Rofflaren
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marss said:

So are my hazel eyes actually blue?

did you read the link? It seems all eyes were brown once

Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer.[4][30] Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa. This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

Definitions of the eye color hazel vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light brown or gold, as in the color of a hazelnut shell.[69][71][74][76]

Hazel eyes are common throughout Caucasoid populations, in particular in regions where blue, green and brown eyed peoples are intermixed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color#Hazel

• Like 1

Sooooo... what they are saying is that different amounts of melatonin reflect different coloured light outwards.  Well, given that the colour of something is indeed the light that gets reflected (or emitted) from it... then forgive me for asking why they are stating that it is an optical illusion?  That's just daft - it's no more an optical illusion than green grass, blue skies...

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Sooooo... what they are saying is that different amounts of melatonin reflect different coloured light outwards.  Well, given that the colour of something is indeed the light that gets reflected (or emitted) from it... then forgive me for asking why they are stating that it is an optical illusion?  That's just daft - it's no more an optical illusion than green grass, blue skies...

Ditto

It just sounds like people are wanting to get over technical 

Ah christ,its a forum.I dont buy a paper so bits like this keep me amused.If you want to know the ins and outs,research it.i know youre allowed your view too but come on,give the thickos a chance too.Im not calling any other posters thick by the way,just interested in a relaxed manor.

• Like 2

My eyes are blue but also green sometimes, chameleon eyes. That is some intense chemical thingy going on in my iris :)

• Like 1

Got ya all beat for having weird color eyes...mine are very dark blue and at times (in certain light) look sort of purple. My eye doctor says it's one of the rarest eye colors. Personally, I just wish my eyes *worked* better (I'm very near sighted) and now in my advancing age need reading correction as well. If Aliens did this they should have put far more effort in having eyes work better!

• Like 3

There are other theories and studies. One where they did actual DNA-testing, which points to a single DNA-mutation as the cause.

The Surprising Origin of Blue Eyes

A team at University of Copenhagen conducted a study in 2008 about the formation of blue eyes. The research showed that those who have blue eyes have a single common ancestor. They found a genetic mutation that took place between 6000 – 10,000 years ago which is the reason behind the occurrence of blue eyes and the causation of all blue eyed people today.

/..../

Genetic Variation
Variation in eye color from brown to green is linked to the amount of melanin present in the iris. All blue-eyed people have a small amount of variation in the amount of melanin in their eyes, leading to the conclusion that all blue-eyed people have a common ancestor and have the same switch inherited at the same place in their DNA. The findings of Professor Eiberg and his team are the latest regarding genes. He and his team examined mitochondrial DNA and analyzed and compared people who had blue eyes in countries like Jordan, Denmark, and Turkey. Research began in 1996 when Professor Eiberg suggested the theory of the OCA2 gene as responsible for eye color.

Blue eye color is the second rarest color after green. Blue eyes are common among Israeli Jews, the percentage of people with blue eyes is decreasing in the US. The countries where you can find the most blue-eyed people are Netherland, Germany, the Baltic States, and Scandinavia. In Germany almost 75% of the population have blue eyes. It’s really surprising to know you can find people with blue eyes in Africa.

7mfnnWG.jpg

Source

Pretty amazing that it might spring from one single person.

So, howdy to all my blue-eyed "relatives" out there. :st;)

• Like 4

well, Ive got bog standard brown eyes, out of us 5 who were born to my parents, 2 have blue eyes like my mum, the rest of us brown eyes after my dad

• Like 1

I have blue eyes with tiny amounts of brown around my pupil with certain moods or what colours I wear.  My daughter was born with violet purple eyes that turned into green.  Very interesting that we are descended from a genetic mutation :lol:

• Like 2

On 12/20/2016 at 1:26 PM, acute said:

My eyes are blue-grey.

(Obviously the result of Extra-Terrestrial experimentation)

I wonder the same about my case man, most likely them aliens. Hopefully no 'probes' were included in experiments :D 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

I wonder the same about my case man, most likely them aliens. Hopefully no 'probes' were included in experiments :D 

You know them aliens... They love their probing!

• Like 1