Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China is testing a working EmDrive in space

UM-Bot

Well I don't think Star Trek defined exactly what Impulse engines were, but this sounds like it.  In the main article link, one advantage of using one of these engines is not needing to refuel.  Since electric is used to make te EM field used, some type of fuel that can be used to make electricity will be needed.  I guess we're talking about nuclear, but that really only uses the heat from the reaction to create steam to make electricity.  Solar panels don't seem practical enough, though guess they work better in space than on Earth.

And..........The Chinese space station disappeared with a "pop!".

• Like 5

Space Race Enters a New Phase: BIG HEAVY- 50 to 150 Tons Eventually?

November 5, 2016 

... 3Nov16 that, the Long March 5 lifted off from the new Wenchang Space Center in Hainan Province with an experimental satellite payload, the  ion-propulsion tester Shijian-17, marking a major milestone in China’s 921 Project Shenzhou Phase 3. “The introduction of the CZ-5/6/7 series marks a major shift in rocket technology (for) China. The new launchers use modular systems and common components across the different rockets as a cost-saving and simplification measure, allowing a quick build-up of heritage and permitting a streamlined production of launch vehicles to support an ever growing number of missions,” according to Spaceflight101. CZ-5 is a heavy payload system for large telecom and space station component payloads on par with the U.S.’s United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta-IV Heavy. Correct, careful reader, ULA is NOT NASA – it is a joint venture between Lockheed-Martin and Boeing that has been winning awards from NASA for large payload launches, space stations servicing, and (recently) the lead on a Mars Mission for 2020

~

• ~

Note :

The next steps from CNSA include (hat tip to Andrew Jones at The Planetary Society):

• China to launch components for a large, 60-ton modular space station, starting with the 20 metric ton core in 2018. The space station will eventually share its orbit with a Hubble-class telescope, also to be launched by the Long March 5, capable of docking with the station for maintenance.
  • The Long March V now enables deep space missions, starting with a 2017 launch of the Chang’e-5 probe to the Moon to collect samples and return to Earth, something not attempted since the 1970s.
  • The country’s first independent interplanetary mission – which boldly combines an orbiter, lander and rover in one shot – will head for Mars in summer 2020.
  • China is also developing a deep space strategy for coming decades to make use of these new capabilities, including missions to the lunar far side and the poles.

• ideas about innovation link

~

At this point I don't care, even if it's Chinese. If they verify that it works, that will be super cool!

I'm only slightly sorry for Shawyer, maybe I'm too influenced by stereotypes, but being Chinese I doubt he'll see a penny. 

Doesn't the drive take considerable time to build its velocity?  I would imagine that changing course direction would be a real feat.

• Like 2

If this proves successful, it should be relatively easy to send an unmanned probe using this tech to Mars (or even the Moon) for a test run. If that pans out then other interesting places like Europa, Titan, even back to Pluto or to Eris. 

I do wonder about deceleration, would that start at the halfway point of the trip or could additional thrust be made closer to the end of the journey to save time on the voyage? 

1 hour ago, Sundew said:

If this proves successful, it should be relatively easy to send an unmanned probe using this tech to Mars (or even the Moon) for a test run. If that pans out then other interesting places like Europa, Titan, even back to Pluto or to Eris. 

I do wonder about deceleration, would that start at the halfway point of the trip or could additional thrust be made closer to the end of the journey to save time on the voyage? 

From what I've read the thrust is so small that it may as well be considered on or off. Probably there would have to be a 180 rotation mid trip so that the probe could decelerate. 

14 hours ago, coolguy said:

Lets hope it works and there not lieing

Scientist never lie.  They tell the truth from a different perspective.

6 hours ago, seanjo said:

If it works, which is something that seems to break the laws of motion, I hope the Chinese pay Roger Shawyer his dues.

It will probably be just like Chekov "It's a Russian invention!"

15 hours ago, coolguy said:

Lets hope it works and there not lieing

Meanwhile our space agencies debate the laws of physics.  I reckon they are hoping they are lieing as they have somewhat missed the boat if it works.  

I wonder what story we will be fed.

Its just another 'oh lets test that for 5-10 years' before we do anything (like with medical things) whereas in China (and several other places) they just get on and try it straight away. Good for them, bad for us!!

• Like 2

Seriously. some of you folks need to step over your perceived cracks on the sidewalks of logic ...

~

June 2011

Two papers have been identified, published by Professor Yang Juan of The North Western Polytechnical University, Xi'an, China. These papers provide an independent proof of the theory of EmDrive. Abstracts of these papers are given in Chinese Paper Abstracts. The originals are written in Chinese.
~

November 2012

China publishes high power test results

The prestigious Chinese Academy of Sciences has published a paper by Professor Yang Juan confirming their high power test results. At an input power of 2.5kW, their 2.45GHz EmDrive thruster provides 720mN of thrust. The results have clearly been subject to extensive peer review following the NWPU 2010 paper. The measurements were made on a national standard, thrust measurement device, used for Ion Engine development. Details of the measurement system and calibration data are given in the paper. A professional English translation is given here: Yang Juan 2012 paper
~

~

EmDrive: China claims success with this 'reactionless' engine for space travel

NASA also has high hopes for the theoretical engine

By Jeffrey Lin and P.W. Singer December 19, 2016

• Popular Science link

~

Just a question...

Is this different from, say, a laser output for propulsion?

49 minutes ago, Trihalo42 said:

I believe the UFO crowd is owed a collective apology.

Why?

On 12/21/2016 at 5:13 PM, pallidin said:

Just a question...

Is this different from, say, a laser output for propulsion?

I've read that the output "thrust" could be pairs of polarized(?) photons, which do push like they have some mass, but then when they interact with the real world, they cancel each other out. So, then you have thrust with no measurable emissions.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:43 PM, Trihalo42 said:

I believe the UFO crowd is owed a collective apology.

I think it may be premature for that just yet.