Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will true mind reading be possible in 2017 ?

UM-Bot

A question I would've asked Dr. Kaku is why couldn't we, theoretically at least, create a sentient machine or system?

To me, sentience meaning an entity of some sort that's aware of it's own being/consciousness, having a sense of being a "somebody" and aware of other somebodies around it.

I can see this devolving into the spiritual philosophy vs hard science debate. Very interesting.

Edited by Mark56

I sure hope not.

Brain-net? No thanks. I have enough trouble with my own thoughts--I don't need anybody else's.

• Like 2

On 23/12/2016 at 9:09 PM, Mark56 said:

A question I would've asked Dr. Kaku is why couldn't we, theoretically at least, create a sentient machine or system?

To me, sentience meaning an entity of some sort that's aware of it's own being/consciousness, having a sense of being a "somebody" and aware of other somebodies around it.

I can see this devolving into the spiritual philosophy vs hard science debate. Very interesting.

I don't get your question (yet, I'm not Kaku, so maybe that's why). 

It's been decades that we are trying to achieve a really sentient ai, capaple of passing the Turing test and being genuinely able to "think for itself", developing its own patterns, thoughts, questions and answers, and not reproducing some instructions provided by the programmers. 

We haven't been able to do it yet. 

It's not that we don't want, rather that we can't yet. 

Some, like Kurzweil, think that when we'll reach that point, that will be the "singularity", where everything will change (and potentially humankind end, at least as we know it). 

We should ask the question too, do you really want insight into unfiltered thoughts? We violate the delicate aspects of an eon of evolved communication and interaction. We violate the notion of mastery of what we say until we say it and the wisdom of knowing when. 

I do not think that mind reading will be possible in 2017. Moreover, I think it will not be possible for another 100 years and even more. Perhaps, it will become possible once AI passes the Turing test and that does not seem to happen soon. When I will chat with a bot and will not guess that I am talking to a robot, then we will have a chance to create some device to communicate with our minds. For now, a machine cannot even make a proper translation that is why I always use https://www.translateshark.com/arabic.html . As for mind reading, I am not sure that I would like to read other people's thoughts. 

I think the tech to translate brain patterns to language (text) will be along shortly as an extension of the speech-to-text paradigm. There will be much more individual device training required on the part of the user, but it's nearly possible now. Direct thought transfer though, is still sci-fi.