Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Definition And Explanations

David Henson

4 hours ago, back to earth said:

But he isnt as handsome as I am .... he got a big boofy human head on him !  

• Barf is adorable!!!! :wub:
  • Like 2

But .... with a head like that .... how ya gonna get a good bite on someone  ?   It just aint doggy enough !  

And he has prob lost as much sense of smell as a  Pekingese    or  one of those other , 'Look ma , I ran into the glass door again '   dogs .

Related image

SMACK !    Right in the third eye !  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

NOpe  .... you were not following the conversation and interjected on a side issue , I was responding to another poster  ie, talking about you, not to you .  

You must have seen your name and got excited  .  

Image result for conga line gif

Correct. You told another poster that I was wrong, and that utopian did not mean perfect   That makes it my business  You used a falsehood in conversation with another, and for all to read,  to attack my own knowledge and thus credibility.

I am intrigued as to why you felt it necessary to do this. . 

I almost suspect you wanted to call me out, and so did a quick google, which falsely led you to believe that we (English speaking readers and writers) use utopian to mean  non existent, rather than  perfect.  

We do not.  If it has that connotation at all, it is a considerably secondary usage, as all dictionary references will illustrate. At most the word contains a hint of  unattainable perfection, or "too good to be true ness,"  not non existence.

Edited by Mr Walker

10 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Barf is adorable!!!! :wub:

Damn straight! :yes:  :tu:  

(Oooh, the late great John Candy. You are still missed very much :( ) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Correct. You told another poster that I was wrong, and that utopian did not mean perfect   That makes it my business  You used a falsehood in conversation with another, and for all to read,  to attack my own knowledge and thus credibility.

I almost suspect you wanted to call me out, and so did a quick google, which falsely led you to believe that we (English speaking readers and writers) use utopian to mean  non existent, rather than  perfect.  

We do not.  If it has that connotation at all, it is a considerably secondary usage, as all dictionary references will illustrate. At most the word contains a hint of  unattainable perfection, or "too good to be true ness,"  not non existence.

MW, I think BTE is right. utopia is term used in literature as an "imaginary place" used to symbolize a "perfect place" here is an example: Christians use heaven or the afterlife an "imaginary place" that one will live free of sin ( flaws) in a perfect state. Utopia is just a tool a literary device used to frame a mental representation of an idealized place as a way to expose the flaws of a political or dysfunctional society. Another example, " If everyone lived as you ( which is serving as the  Utopia "imaginary place") the world would be a better place free of crime, disease, harm etc. etc. in other words, the perfect state. Of course we all know this is not possible as there is no perfect place, only in your imagination. And, we also understand it is your way of exposing the flaws you think you see that disrupt your Utopia. 

BTE isn't trying to call you out or attack you he didn't even address you; my guess is due to how you can't admit to being in error and then threads turn into you perceiving attacks on your character and credibility. It was just a minor error on your part. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, back to earth said:

But .... with a head like that .... how ya gonna get a good bite on someone  ?   It just aint doggy enough !  

And he has prob lost as much sense of smell as a  Pekingese    or  one of those other , 'Look ma , I ran into the glass door again '   dogs .

Related image

SMACK !    Right in the third eye !  

Did you consider his adorableness as an offense, ( or defense )? "Look at me! Look at me!!! I'm adorable!!!!!" *pant pant pant* 

"Oh, how adorable!!! Wait! What?" *ruff ruff ruff..........................rough rough rough*

(a deadly scream could be heard from afar........................)

:devil:  :D  :devil: 

22 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Correct. You told another poster that I was wrong, and that utopian did not mean perfect   That makes it my business

You should have said    That makes it my business   buddy !  <_<

You used a falsehood in conversation with another, and for all to read,  to attack my own knowledge and thus credibility.

I almost suspect you wanted to call me out, and so did a quick google,

What falsehood ?  I said Walker doesnt read Greek , other wise he would have said .... " 

Then you came back and said you didnt read Greek  .  :huh:  Which I already know, because  .... see below .   Attack your knowledge ?  You said you didnt speak Greek !  

And now you worried about your cred ???? ... a little late I would have thought   ;)  

No need at all for me to  do  a quick google at all ,    Walkies    :)   ... see below to find out why . 

which falsely led you to believe that we (English speaking readers and writers) use utopian to mean  non existent, rather than  perfect.  

No no no , you got that all wrong   (again )   -  

first, it didnt lead me to believe anything  ... but I know how you just love making stuff up that I believe in or not   :) 

I already well know what English speaking reader and writers mean when they say 'Utopia / Utopian '  .  As if I am  not going to be familiar with all that  !     :D .  

My point was -   in direct Greek translation, it doesnt .... and I was saying  that is an indicator to show that you dont speak Greek  - Walker doesnt speak Greek, thats what I said, then I went on to explain   what  MR Walker would have gone on about if he did speak Greek .

And here is the best bit by far ; I already knew all this and ddnt have to rush to look to look  up anything  , because .....

I have already done this to you before  !     The  Utopia,  meaning no place  thingo. 

I cant believe you forgot and went in for it again and then claimed I must have rushed of and done a quick google   :D 

We do not.

I know you do not , a Greek speaker would  know    though , so I know and already knew from before  you dont . 

If it has that connotation at all, it is a considerably secondary usage, as all dictionary references will illustrate. At most the word contains a hint of  unattainable perfection, or "too good to be true ness,"  not non existence.

Firstly, do not try to twist what I said into trying to pretend I said it meant   'non existence' .  Silly ploy. 

The  modern colloquial meaning   ( careful, you could be out of date in that one !   *  )  a Walker Era meaning ... or a Greek speakers meaning    ?  

*  Eg .   Walker !  Yo , dont go all Utopia on me Man !  "  

or even

"    How's ur tope goin?  "  

"Goddam, just got grabbed by a pumped orc. he's bottom-feeding, so my kd suicided in retal, razed him and he's near peasant-death"

:) 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=utopia&utm_source=search-action

Edited by back to earth

14 hours ago, Sherapy said:

MW, I think BTE is right. utopia is term used in literature as an "imaginary place" used to symbolize a "perfect place" here is an example: Christians use heaven or the afterlife an "imaginary place" that one will live free of sin ( flaws) in a perfect state. Utopia is just a tool a literary device used to frame a mental representation of an idealized place as a way to expose the flaws of a political or dysfunctional society. Another example, " If everyone lived as you ( which is serving as the  Utopia "imaginary place") the world would be a better place free of crime, disease, harm etc. etc. in other words, the perfect state. Of course we all know this is not possible as there is no perfect place, only in your imagination. And, we also understand it is your way of exposing the flaws you think you see that disrupt your Utopia. 

BTE isn't trying to call you out or attack you he didn't even address you; my guess is due to how you can't admit to being in error and then threads turn into you perceiving attacks on your character and credibility. It was just a minor error on your part. 

:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Did you consider his adorableness as an offense, ( or defense )? "Look at me! Look at me!!! I'm adorable!!!!!" *pant pant pant* 

"Oh, how adorable!!! Wait! What?" *ruff ruff ruff..........................rough rough rough*

(a deadly scream could be heard from afar........................)

:devil:  :D  :devil: 

Sorry ... adorable  ?      Yo kiddin me ?

What good is an abordable dog ?     This is the sorta dog you want ; 

Image result for pickpocket  dog gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, back to earth said:

Sorry ... adorable  ?      Yo kiddin me ?

What good is an abordable dog ?     This is the sorta dog you want ; 

Image result for pickpocket  dog gif

Only if he or she didn't do that! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, yeah, I would like an adorable dog. I do believe, I already have an adorable dog. It's just the currant adorable dog is almost the size of a pony, but I'm digressing. :D 

I guess, we should look at it as only as a defense, and not as an offense, as your little adorable gif puts it. ;) 

• Like 1

My favourite Utopia  

Fire up a  reefer Walker , and have a listen       :)  

( many a night in the late '80s  one could hear this music wafting  along Wanda beach   fro a nearby certain 'party house '     :) 

wanda-house.png

Related image

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, back to earth said:

My favourite Utopia  

Fire up a  reefer Walker , and have a listen       :)  

( many a night in the late '80s  one could hear this music wafting  along Wanda beach   fro a nearby certain 'party house '     :) 

wanda-house.png

Related image

Are you one of these blokes BTE? The one out in the front would have been my type, back in my cubbet days :D

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 0:45 PM, Mr Walker said:

While not consciously aware of that connection, i know the verse from sbakepseare and have read studied and taught brave new world a nmuber of times.

One of the most fundamental events in my life, which determined much of what followed occurred when i watched the forbidden planet aged about 7 years old.

This was based on the tempest and looked  at how we form and are often controlled by inner emotions, especially jeaousy and complexes like Oedipus it relates how these siubconscious drivers   cAn shape our behaviours.

In the film a sceintist's subconscious anger and jealousy was made manifest by an alien machine, into a deadly energy form

Right the n and there i vowed that my subconscious would nevr control me like that, and that i would always be in control of my conscious and subconscious responses. Iit took about another 7 years to achieve this, but eventually i did  

The million words is a conservative minimum it is   made up from reading, each week,  10 or more novels from many genre, as well as a couple of  non fictional biographies histories etc, a dozen newspapers, a number of magazines from the new scientist through psychology and other more casual ones like caravan and camping.  But also i read a lot of online stuff these days. I can access for free and permanently any magazine from any library in south australia  and almost any e book,  as a 3 week loan, from the same source

I also get books from kindle kobo  and google play books, many of which are free or only a few dollars.  I now read about a quarter of a million words less, professionally, than when teaching but have a lot more time for recreational reading so my total count  since retirement might be closer to 1 and a half million words,  given that novels average 60-100,000 words each

We have a brilliant second hand book shop in a local town with thousands of books at cheap prices and i also buy a lot at garage sales, or online buy swap and sell.   My  personal library once contained 10,000 books before the bush fire,  and my brother and one sister have libraries of a similar size.  I use three local libraries to browse and access physical books.  I understand it is a bit incredible to a person who does not read much or at all, ( not speaking of you personally here)  but i've been reading since i was 2 years old and just love it. 

Good lord, get over yourself man. Take yourself out to dinner, buy yourself a bunch of flowers or something lol. Not everything is an invitation for one of those incessant self appreciation monologues.

The post you responded to was obviously rhetorical and didn't really need such a reply. It's meaning was obvious. Whether you read a trillion words in each day is irrelevant. Nothing indicates someone who might be widely read, in fact it indicates someone who could broaden their horizons with a little reading. Horizons which appear narrow enough to be measurable at the Planck scale. So..."at, is,of, cat, rat, was" etc. x 1,000,00 perhaps. While you might have read about Oedipus the story of Narcissus seems less certain (careful of that reflection).

Good forums discuss thread topics, not the people who are discussing the thread topics (apart from perhaps a little good natured banter). While it isn't really an academic forum, there are certain similar intellectual principles which make forums successful (and that appear "alien" to you lol). You simply ruin every thread you enter because you make it about yourself and your self perceived magnificence, and also about others in the discussion. This puerile method makes it difficult to avoid the ensuing ad hominems. It should never happen, and in any sort of academic setting, would never happen. It is anti intellectualism.

So even if you actually weren't simply making it all up, you seem to be overlooking that few are likely to give a r@ts @rse for these and other reasons.

Edited by Horta
  • Like 4

Like I said .... he cant help it  - its a syndrome .... a driving force .....       I must blab about myself   

<  I think he got a little 'demon'  inside him     :)   > 

and now    .......    a musical interlude   ( you have to imagine you are walking a long a deserted beach in moonlight , you see a ramshackle house up on the dune edge .... it has smoke billowing out the windows  and    ........      < cue music >  .....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, back to earth said:

'out in the front '    ???     HUH   

Left to right second guy. 

What ?  'Snogger ' ?          Nah   .....   'Shaman Trippy'   on the far  right   ;)  

I think he might have fancied himself as some type of  

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

What ?  'Snogger ' ?          Nah   .....   'Shaman Trippy'   on the far  right   ;)  

I think he might have fancied himself as some type of  

The Black T shirted one. 

Yes  ....  'Snogger'  -  L to R  2nd  ,   the one you  picked,  and yes has a t shirt on  .    

But that isnt me .    Go back to post  ... 1392  

WHAAAAT    .... this thread has  1390+  posts  !  :o

• Like 1

16 hours ago, back to earth said:

Yes  ....  'Snogger'  -  L to R  2nd  ,   the one you  picked,  and yes has a t shirt on  .    

But that isnt me .    Go back to post  ... 1392  

WHAAAAT    .... this thread has  1390+  posts  !  :o

At the end!!!! very cute!!!! Great hair and style!!!!:P  Okay, fair enough I can see why Barf wouldn't work for ya. 

Edited by Sherapy

On 25/02/2017 at 4:23 PM, back to earth said:

You should have said    That makes it my business   buddy !  <_<

What falsehood ?  I said Walker doesnt read Greek , other wise he would have said .... " 

Then you came back and said you didnt read Greek  .  :huh:  Which I already know, because  .... see below .   Attack your knowledge ?  You said you didnt speak Greek !  

And now you worried about your cred ???? ... a little late I would have thought   ;)  

No need at all for me to  do  a quick google at all ,    Walkies    :)   ... see below to find out why . 

No no no , you got that all wrong   (again )   -  

first, it didnt lead me to believe anything  ... but I know how you just love making stuff up that I believe in or not   :) 

I already well know what English speaking reader and writers mean when they say 'Utopia / Utopian '  .  As if I am  not going to be familiar with all that  !     :D .  

My point was -   in direct Greek translation, it doesnt .... and I was saying  that is an indicator to show that you dont speak Greek  - Walker doesnt speak Greek, thats what I said, then I went on to explain   what  MR Walker would have gone on about if he did speak Greek .

And here is the best bit by far ; I already knew all this and ddnt have to rush to look to look  up anything  , because .....

I have already done this to you before  !     The  Utopia,  meaning no place  thingo. 

I cant believe you forgot and went in for it again and then claimed I must have rushed of and done a quick google   :D 

I know you do not , a Greek speaker would  know    though , so I know and already knew from before  you dont . 

Firstly, do not try to twist what I said into trying to pretend I said it meant   'non existence' .  Silly ploy. 

The  modern colloquial meaning   ( careful, you could be out of date in that one !   *  )  a Walker Era meaning ... or a Greek speakers meaning    ?  

*  Eg .   Walker !  Yo , dont go all Utopia on me Man !  "  

or even

"    How's ur tope goin?  "  

"Goddam, just got grabbed by a pumped orc. he's bottom-feeding, so my kd suicided in retal, razed him and he's near peasant-death"

:) 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=utopia&utm_source=search-action

I said utopian means perfect. You said it did not and  furhter calimed thati  i was ignorant on this matter because i dont speak greek.

Given that  we are speaking English and not greek, I am right and you are wrong. In English the prime meaning of utopian IS perfect .( Check any dictionary)   If we were both  native greek speakers you might have a point.

The rest is just verbiage aimed at segueing your way to safety. :)

Edited by Mr Walker

14 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I said utopian means perfect. You said it did not and  furhter calimed thati  i was ignorant on this matter because i dont speak greek.

Nope !   Trying to twist things again as you cannot see ever that you could even once be wrong :D  

I claimed you didnt speak Greek   -  right , even you admitted that . 

I said you would not have said what you did if you did speak Greek .   

Given that  we are speaking English and not greek, I am right and you are wrong.

Do you feel better now that you have falsely affirmed your own correctness by your own self  ?  

See how you pull stupid premises out of the air in a weak attempt to shore up your blunderings ?  

The whole issue started by someone asking you if you speak Greek   ... thats how  Greek got into it ,  not that I somehow segwayed the conversions towards Greek and picked some random word you used and then went to etymology to prove you wrong on a point . 

The point was , I could tell you are not a Greek speaker because of your understanding of English  and its usage .  The opposite applies to Latin , after reading you and your comments for a while, one might rightly suppose you understand Latin.  

If I made some point about English and a word that had a Latin background and didnt pick up on it, you might rightly  conclude I am not a Latin speaker   ... and I would agree with you ...

... or I could just be an immature idiot and say  NO ,   we are speaking English here and NOT  Latin ... therefore, I  am right and you are wrong ..... nah nar ne nar narh   ( one of your sayings , remember  ? )

How ludicrously  childish of you Walker ... all, yet again , as you cant ever admit to a single simple mistake ! 

In English the prime meaning of utopian IS perfect .( Check any dictionary)   If we were both  native greek speakers you might have a point.

No, the point was , I simply told someone from my observation that YOU were not a Greek speaker  and I was right ... thats all ... deal with it !

The rest is just verbiage aimed at segueing your way to safety. :)

Interesting how people do really silly embarrassing things and then try to twist them so they can blame someone else for it     ;) . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, back to earth said:

Nope !   Trying to twist things again as you cannot see ever that you could even once be wrong :D  

I claimed you didnt speak Greek   -  right , even you admitted that . 

I said you would not have said what you did if you did speak Greek .   

Do you feel better now that you have falsely affirmed your own correctness by your own self  ?  

See how you pull stupid premises out of the air in a weak attempt to shore up your blunderings ?  

The whole issue started by someone asking you if you speak Greek   ... thats how  Greek got into it ,  not that I somehow segwayed the conversions towards Greek and picked some random word you used and then went to etymology to prove you wrong on a point . 

The point was , I could tell you are not a Greek speaker because of your understanding of English  and its usage .  The opposite applies to Latin , after reading you and your comments for a while, one might rightly suppose you understand Latin.  

If I made some point about English and a word that had a Latin background and didnt pick up on it, you might rightly  conclude I am not a Latin speaker   ... and I would agree with you ...

... or I could just be an immature idiot and say  NO ,   we are speaking English here and NOT  Latin ... therefore, I  am right and you are wrong ..... nah nar ne nar narh   ( one of your sayings , remember  ? )

How ludicrously  childish of you Walker ... all, yet again , as you cant ever admit to a single simple mistake ! 

No, the point was , I simply told someone from my observation that YOU were not a Greek speaker  and I was right ... thats all ... deal with it !

Interesting how people do really silly embarrassing things and then try to twist them so they can blame someone else for it     ;) . 

Go back and read the posts, You are just making stuff up now to suit what you claim you said.  If you meant/intended to mean something else you should have used different words. 

You claimed that utopian does NOT mean perfect but non existent.  That is untrue  You claimed that if I spoke greek i would know this. ALSO untrue,

UTOPIAN is NOT a greek word.  It is a compound of two greek words, put together with a specific intent and meaning by an ENGLISH speaker,  FOR English speakers  Lets be clear on this The word does not exist in greek so speaking greek would not help a person understand its meaning.  MORE  constructed or coined  the word utopia using two similar greek compound words; one meaning no place the other meaning good place.  The society, an island city state used as a model,  he named utopia  As described it wa s a construct of his perfect form of society  encompassing all the virtues and none of the failings of the society of his time    The word was designed to describe a perfect society and place  It was the NAME of an island city state not of no place.  However, because it was perfect More recognised it was unreal, hence his play on the two greek words. 

I DO know latin There are many English words derived from latin words but which have a specific meaning in English The same is true for some french words  For example in French literally defenestration means being pushed from/through a window. It also means this in English but, in addition, in English it means  an act of political dissent. In Latin decimation literally translates as removal of a tenth and this was  the punishment used in roman legions. However, in English it also means a non specific but severe reduction in a group's number.  

Edited by Mr Walker

To misquote the princess bride, "every dictionary BUT the urban dictionary" :)  

As it happens they haven't yet given a definition for utopian,  However, as  this is not a serious dictionary, but   serves other purposes than giving accurate definitions for words,  it is not actually a dictionary by definition.  More of a political /social statement.