Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Bigfoot is NOT Gigantopithecus

Carnoferox

Although you haven't addressed whether they could have teleported to N America using the 13 crystal skulls as a power source. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Although you haven't addressed whether they could have teleported to N America using the 13 crystal skulls as a power source. 

Oh man! I totally forgot about that!

• Like 3

Mammalian teeth are problematic in general in terms of phylogeny. I heard recently that omitting them from a cladistic study improves its accuracy. 

I didn't now before your piece that it was Krantz who was the source of the wide posterior of the jaw indicating it was a biped. It clearly isn't unusually wide. Anyway, I think the madible (C1) looks like there's been a bit of distortion going on there. 

And, as you say an ape that size isn't going to be a biped. It'd be so prone to deterioration in its joints. As an aside, I watched a bigfoot documentary last night in which they claimed sasquatch walks without locking its knees. How is an animal that size going to do that without ruining its knees in a matter of months? 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

Krantz only assumed that the mandibular condyles were set that far apart, as none of the five mandibles preserves the posterior. Just one of the problems with his skull reconstruction. The sagittal crest, robust jaw, and flat face were based on Paranthropus, I believe (as Krantz thought Gigantopithecus was a hominin).

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

Old rover, I mean ole Grover mentioned something funny, I can't remember it exactly, something like you could drag one in on a chain have it hop on the table and they'd still debate, or ..... seen some rather well sized ah MATTER, obviously that's what all the whoops and hollering are about.

• Like 1

Okay then ... how about Ginormousantopithecus ?

~

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldrover said:

Impossible, Nessie swallowed one of the skulls in the 15th century and hasn't "shifted" it yet. Terribly slow metabolism, or so I hear.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Impossible, Nessie swallowed one of the skulls in the 15th century and hasn't "shifted" it yet. Terribly slow metabolism, or so I hear.

Well, she is very, very, very, very old.  I'm sure pooping is one of the last things she worries about anymore.

• Like 3

I often wonder if weird sightings are just of hermits living out in the wilderness who camouflage themselves for hunting.

• Like 1

Agree 100% that Bigfoot is not a Gigantopithicus. It could be a lot of other things... mutant human, mutant bear, mutant alien, mutant mutant, robot, demon... But not a Gigantopithicus. :alien:

I don't think it is Giganto's known locations that limit it from moving into North America, as tapirs and cheetahs moved across the land bridge in between ice ages, but rather its suspected food source probably wouldn't have allowed it to travel so far so fast.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Agree 100% that Bigfoot is not a Gigantopithicus. It could be a lot of other things... mutant human, mutant bear, mutant alien, mutant mutant, robot, demon... But not a Gigantopithicus. :alien:

I don't think it is Giganto's known locations that limit it from moving into North America, as tapirs and cheetahs moved across the land bridge in between ice ages, but rather its suspected food source probably wouldn't have allowed it to travel so far so fast.

And also the fact that Gigantopithecus went extinct 70,000 years before the Bering Land Bridge formed.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

And also the fact that Gigantopithecus went extinct 70,000 years before the Bering Land Bridge formed.

Doesn't matter. Animals were crossing land bridges for millions years. That was simply the latest land bridge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringia#Previous_connections

Every time there was a glaciation cycle, there were multiple glacial maximums and minimums. Whenever there was a glacial maximum the land bridge would have been exposed. The above link suggests this happened even in the time of the dinosaurs.

Over 400,000 years there have been at least four times when the land bridge would have been above water and allowed traffic. I've looked into this, because I wondered if Homo Erectus (H.E.) could have made it into North America. H.E. probably could have, but there is no evidence yet that he did.

slr-co2-temp-400000yrs.jpg

13 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Doesn't matter. Animals were crossing land bridges for millions years. That was simply the latest land bridge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringia#Previous_connections

Every time there was a glaciation cycle, there were multiple glacial maximums and minimums. Whenever there was a glacial maximum the land bridge would have been exposed. The above link suggests this happened even in the time of the dinosaurs.

Over 400,000 years there have been at least four times when the land bridge would have been above water and allowed traffic. I've looked into this, because I wondered if Homo Erectus (H.E.) could have made it into North America. H.E. probably could have, but there is no evidence yet that he did.

slr-co2-temp-400000yrs.jpg

The Bering Land Bridge did not form at every glacial maximum, rather only at the last one. Previous land bridges from North America to Asia, such as the one during the Late Cretaceous, were not connected to glacial cycles.

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Agree 100% that Bigfoot is not a Gigantopithicus. It could be a lot of other things... mutant human, mutant bear, mutant alien, mutant mutant, robot, demon...

But not a mutant robot or mutant demon?  Why exclude those?  The church of bigfootery has no place for such bigotry.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

The Bering Land Bridge did not form at every glacial maximum, rather only at the last one. Previous land bridges from North America to Asia, such as the one during the Late Cretaceous, were not connected to glacial cycles.

Do you have a resource/link to show that to be true. I just showed you in a picture that the sea levels dropped to the same level four times in 400 years, and linked to a wiki that said the Bering Sea averages 40 to 50 meters deep. Go to the pic I posted and see how many times the sea level drops below -50m. 

By what process do you propose that the (surely) hundreds of land bridge events that occurred before the last glacial maximum happened? Land itself rose and fell? 

Just now, Thorvir said:

But not a mutant robot or mutant demon?  Why exclude those?  The church of bigfootery has no place for such bigotry.

Hee, hee, hee....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Do you have a resource/link to show that to be true. I just showed you in a picture that the sea levels dropped to the same level four times in 400 years, and linked to a wiki that said the Bering Sea averages 40 to 50 meters deep. Go to the pic I posted and see how many times the sea level drops below -50m. 

By what process do you propose that the (surely) hundreds of land bridge events that occurred before the last glacial maximum happened? Land itself rose and fell? 

Read this paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232797838_Influence_of_Bering_Strait_flow_and_North_Atlantic_circulation_on_glacial_sea-level_changes

They indicate that the land bridge did not completely form at every maximum, only at the Last Glacial Maximum c. 30,000 ka.

Edited by Carnoferox

I don't see where what is in that article states what you're suggesting, that sea levels only dropped below -50m during the last Glacial maximum and never ever, ever, before that. The article seems to specifically focus only on the last 100,000 years.

Anyway, that is beside the point. The point being that the land bridge did exist many, many times over the last millions of years. DNA/Genetic evidence, and the fossil record both show this 100% to be true.

Here is another link to read.

http://thegreatstory.org/charts/NA-all-animals.html

Many animal species crossed back and forth over the last 55 million years. Since Gigantopithicus had been around for approximately 9 million years, there were multiple land bridges it could have crossed well before 70,000 years ago. The table by itself shows that there was mass migration 9 million, 5 million, 3 million, and 1 million years ago between Asia and North America.

NA-all-animals.jpg

Edited by DieChecker

I am still looking for a more reliable chronology of the Bering Land Bridge, but I am have a difficult time finding one. Gigantopithecus blacki itself only existed from around 1.9 million to 100,000 years ago, a much narrower window of time to cross the land bridge. The exact relationships of the earlier G. giganteus are still uncertain, and as a stated in my article some consider it in its own genus, Indopithecus. 

By the way, your chart indicates when that certain type of animal first evolved and went extinct, not when it migrated.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, ChaosRose said:

I often wonder if weird sightings are just of hermits living out in the wilderness who camouflage themselves for hunting.

You mean hermits like Mick Dodge?:lol:

Mick_Dodge.jpg

1 hour ago, Hawkin said:

You mean hermits like Mick Dodge?:lol:

Mick_Dodge.jpg

Ha! Yes! That guy!

And everyone else like him. 

• Like 1