Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Vulcans Look Like Humans

Claire.

'Star Trek' Science: Why Vulcans (and Other Aliens) Look Like Humans

Human life, seeded to other planets by an extraterrestrial civilization, could explain why so many of the aliens in the fictional "Star Trek" universe resemble human men and women. After studying scenes from the various shows and movies, one evolutionary biologist posited that the galaxy-wide distribution of Earth-based life-forms could help to explain some of the resemblance between Kirk and Spock.

Read more: Live Science

Or perhaps the limited special effects of the 1960s made it impossible to have aliens that didn't look a great deal like humans?

• Like 6

It saved a lot on makeup costs if they just needed to stick some pointy ears on, I think is probably the simplest answer.

• Like 3

Or perhaps the "one evolutionary biologist" never watched the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Chase". :lol:

http://www.tor.com/2012/11/27/star-trek-the-next-generation-rewatch-the-chase/

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 3

Why do people take the mick out of Dr Who (which I can't stand) and Blake's 7 (which I love) but never say anything about Start Trek when their alien make up was basically a couple of pointy ears and some mascara? 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Blake's 7 (which I love)

You definitely get a like for that 

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin
  • Like 1

Image result for avon from blake's 7

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Image result for avon from blake's 7

Best science fiction character ever! 

"Staying with you requires a level of stupidity I'm no longer capable of" and many more. 

He's had a species Mekosuchian crocodile named after him too, for his support of the Australian Riversleigh fossil excavations. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Topp said:

Why is Yoda so small

Because alien race.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brian Topp said:

Why is Yoda so small

George Lucas had a considerably bigger effects budget.

Interestingly, 

Frank Oz provided Yoda's voice in each film and used his skills as a puppeteer in the original trilogy and Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace. For some walking scenes in Episodes V and I, dwarf actors Deep Roy and Warwick Davis appeared in costume as Yoda (though neither was credited). While Frank Oz served as the primary performer, he was assisted by a multitude of other puppeteers, including:[5] Kathryn Mullen (Ep. V), Wendy Froud (Ep. V), David Barclay (Ep. V-VI), Mike Quinn (Ep. VI), David Greenaway (Ep. I & VI), Don Austen (Ep. I), and Kathy Smee (Ep. I). For the radio dramatizations of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Yoda was voiced by John Lithgow, while Tom Kane voiced him in the Clone Wars animated series, several video games, and the series Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

The make-up artist Stuart Freeborn based Yoda's face partly on his own and partly on Albert Einstein's.[6][7][8][9] In The Phantom Menace, he was redesigned to look younger. He was computer-generated for two distant shots, but remained mostly a puppet.[10] The puppet was re-designed by Nick Dudman from Stuart Freeborn's original design.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Topp said:

Why is Yoda so small

Because small his race is.

• Like 3

On January 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Claire. said:

'Star Trek' Science: Why Vulcans (and Other Aliens) Look Like Humans

Human life, seeded to other planets by an extraterrestrial civilization, could explain why so many of the aliens in the fictional "Star Trek" universe resemble human men and women. After studying scenes from the various shows and movies, one evolutionary biologist posited that the galaxy-wide distribution of Earth-based life-forms could help to explain some of the resemblance between Kirk and Spock.

Read more: Live Science

They actually addressed this in an episode of TNG. In it I think Picard gets trapped on a planet with an alien (Romulan or Cardassian maybe?) and they find out that Humans, Klingons and all the rest each have a common ancestor. It's been 20 years since I've seen the episode though so the details might be a bit hazy, but I definitely remember finding out most of Star Trek's species are related.

• Like 2