Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sweden's queen claims royal palace is haunted

Black Monk

The Queen of Sweden has claimed the royal palace where she resides is haunted.

Queen Silvia, 73, who has been married to the King of Sweden, Carl XVI Gustaf, for 40 years, claimed ghosts were haunting Drottningholm Palace in Stockholm County while being interviewed for a documentary.

When speaking to the Swedish public broadcaster, SVT, Queen Silvia said: 'There are small friends... ghosts. They're all very friendly but you sometimes feel that you're not completely alone.'

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 4

Pretty stunning palace, seeing as it was build in the 1600`s, I would imagine a few creaky floorboards and resident mice in the cellar who like to scurry around at night. 

• Like 3

Hauntings don't actually occur, of course, but this would be one place I wouldn't be surprised to find it happening.  I sure wish I could visit a place like that someday.

• Like 3

Hauntings have been recorded in all areas of the world since the dawn of time. All cultures, religions, ethic groups have tales of hauntings. I'd say something (even if it's something psychological) is definitely going on.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thorvir said:

Hauntings don't actually occur, of course,

That's simply untrue.  If you've never experienced it can't blame you for believing that though.

• Like 5

What a size of a place! Haunted or not I wouldn't mind having a look around there.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

What a size of a place! Haunted or not I wouldn't mind having a look around there.

I've always dreamed of living in a vast stately home with hundreds of rooms, suits of armour, expensive paintings and acres of land - including gardens and a maze - somewhere in the English countryside. Unless something pretty extraordinary happens, it is likely to remain a dream.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Hauntings have been recorded in all areas of the world since the dawn of time. All cultures, religions, ethic groups have tales of hauntings. I'd say something (even if it's something psychological) is definitely going on.

Certainly, human imagination.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Black Monk said:

I've always dreamed of living in a vast stately home with hundreds of rooms, suits of armour, expensive paintings and acres of land - including gardens and a maze - somewhere in the English countryside.

That wouldn't do for me. As much as I like to look around places like these I wouldn't like to live in one, they're far too big for any home comforts. Imagine too the army of helpers needed to keep the place going. The acres of land, now that would be good to have, I would probably spend all my time in the gardens, that is if I could find my way out of the maze!

• Like 2

On 1/4/2017 at 5:06 PM, Black Monk said:

I've always dreamed of living in a vast stately home with hundreds of rooms, suits of armour, expensive paintings and acres of land - including gardens and a maze - somewhere in the English countryside. Unless something pretty extraordinary happens, it is likely to remain a dream.

I rather visit them, it saves on all that cleaning and dusting:

With more than 300 historic buildings in our care, from the grand and imposing to the small and quirky, you're spoilt for choice when planning a visit

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/houses-and-buildings?campid=PPC_VM_Google_Houses

On 05/01/2017 at 0:05 PM, Still Waters said:

That wouldn't do for me. As much as I like to look around places like these I wouldn't like to live in one, they're far too big for any home comforts. Imagine too the army of helpers needed to keep the place going. The acres of land, now that would be good to have, I would probably spend all my time in the gardens, that is if I could find my way out of the maze!

Well, if I'm a billionaire I'm sure paying the servants wouldn't be too much of a problem!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Well, if I'm a billionaire I'm sure paying the servants wouldn't be too much of a problem!

Servants? Can we still call them that today or are they now "palace environmental health and cleansing accessors who produce actionable techniques for a small fee"  ?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Like one commenter said that people have lived and died in palaces. So who knows whats lurking in that shunning building. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 9:22 AM, freetoroam said:

Can we still call them that today or are they now "palace environmental health and cleansing accessors who produce actionable techniques for a small fee"  ?

The royal environmental health and sanitation engineers.

• Like 1

God bless her, she is of age.
What, there are no photos or video?

Perhaps she could give us something more than a feeling.

Edited by pallidin

I would imagine all the varying palaces, being how old they are, having something. I often like to check info and such of Kensington palace in England. There seems to be a lot of experiences, that people have reported being there. 

In a different note, I'm surprised all the 'spirits' the Queen is talking about, they are all nice. Come on, there has to be at least one or two nasty entities in a palace, right? ;) 

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2017 at 9:54 AM, Black Monk said:

The Queen of Sweden has claimed the royal palace where she resides is haunted.

Queen Silvia, 73, who has been married to the King of Sweden, Carl XVI Gustaf, for 40 years, claimed ghosts were haunting Drottningholm Palace in Stockholm County while being interviewed for a documentary.

When speaking to the Swedish public broadcaster, SVT, Queen Silvia said: 'There are small friends... ghosts. They're all very friendly but you sometimes feel that you're not completely alone.'

I would have to imagine that any place with as much history as that place would have a spirit or two hanging around. 

• Like 1