Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombies could wipe out humanity in 100 days

UM-Bot

Pretty dumb assuming each will get 1 victim per day.  

• Like 4

The research, which was conducted by physics students at the University of Leicester, - 

"It lets the students show off their creative side and apply some of the physics they know to the weird, the wonderful, or the everyday." - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/302451/zombies-could-wipe-out-humanity-in-100-days#sthash.xkcWUxpr.dpuf

This should be in the writers section, 

Saying that, I am surprised this kind of "study" is being encouraged. Is this really what the university is classing as physics?  Below is what they should be concentrating on, the real threat to humans = not dead humans , but real diseases.

The team's findings were based on the SIR ( susceptible, infectious, recovered ) model which is more traditionally used to calculate the spread of real diseases through the population. - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/302451/zombies-could-wipe-out-humanity-in-100-days#sthash.xkcWUxpr.dpuf

• Like 2

This Zombie obsession has gotten ridiculous . , 

• Like 4

Just now, Myles said:

What is frightening is not the thought of zombies, but that they are even putting this out there....this is our next generation of er....zombie film producers? 

• Like 3

Wow, it looks like the dumbing-down of the populace is just about complete.

• Like 1

WW3 could wipe out humanity too, and is MORE realistic than fantasy stories

What next? leprechauns under threat from a growing army of Chinese fairies?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, seeder said:

What next? leprechauns under threat from a growing army of Chinese fairies?

I would laugh...but I would not be surprised, now you have given them the idea,  :lol: that this will be the next research our future generation of physic students will be conducting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

And considering that each zombie marches slowly toward it's potentially heavily-armed and faster-moving target, I don't see a classic zombie apocalypse lasting longer than a day.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 1

Geez...get over it. Just a little fun using an actual model that predicts infection for real diseases. 

The team's findings were based on the SIR ( susceptible, infectious, recovered ) model which is more traditionally used to calculate the spread of real diseases through the population.

"Every year we ask students to write short papers for the Journal of Physics Special Topics," said Dr Mervyn Roy from the University of Leicester's Department of Physics and Astronomy.

"It lets the students show off their creative side and apply some of the physics they know to the weird, the wonderful, or the everyday." 

• Like 1

why are people being salty its just a friendly project that researchers wanted to do. And to be fair if a disease that was similar to this were to happen we could learn from this study in a way.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Summerin1905 said:

why are people being salty its just a friendly project that researchers wanted to do. And to be fair if a disease that was similar to this were to happen we could learn from this study in a way.

It's because of the "Z" word. 

Though, some of them would probably cry if they used a disease that was eradicated a century ago. 

• Like 1

Every year we ask students to write short papers for the Journal of Physics Special Topics," said Dr Mervyn Roy from the University of Leicester's Department of Physics and Astronomy.

That's why every year we are treated with a similar article. 

Anyway, I don't see the problem with such a thought experiment. 

It's not they are spending months or years on these projects, nor taxpayers money. 

It's just a project out of many they develop throughout the academic year. 

if there are people  that lives though it negan will take half ur stuff :) 

Edited by coolguy

The point I get from this -- and I think the point intended -- is that it doesn't have to be zombies.  Any infectious agent with the right dormancy and lethality and spread-ability could do it, and, with modern travel, we would be doomed before we knew what hit us.

• Like 1

"Zombies could wipe out humanity in 100 days"

Not a Zombie fan but aren't they still considered 'humanity' just in a different dead/un-dead format? Do Zombies eat other zombies when all the living is gone?

YAWN.......

Edited by UFOwatcher

On 1/7/2017 at 10:31 AM, seanjo said:

You've come across some real Zombies then?...****!

You can't use some common sense then?  Have you ever come across a real zombie?

Edited by Thorvir

2 minutes ago, UFOwatcher said:

Do Zombies eat other zombies when all the living is gone?

No, they'll only eat those stupid enough to let a shambling and slow-moving, barely-sentient, rotting corpse gradually stumble right up to them and meekly stand their as their brains are eaten.  Apparently, zombies are racists/bigots.  When all the stupid people are gone, the zombies will just have to starve to death.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

The point I get from this -- and I think the point intended -- is that it doesn't have to be zombies.  Any infectious agent with the right dormancy and lethality and spread-ability could do it, and, with modern travel, we would be doomed before we knew what hit us.

Thats exactly the point

Although we might wonder if there is another point considering some of the (serious?) responses in this thread ......   I think the zombie plague is already upon us :o

• Like 1

Well, this study those students did must not be taking into account all the guns, military, and angry dudes that would be there to beat the snot out of the shambling zombie corpses, Texas alone could put down a zombie invasion.

Edited by Bump in the Night123456
  • Like 1

Braaains....Braaaaaaaaaains!......mmm.......leaving thread......no braaaains here......:sleepy: