Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists find way to regrow decayed teeth

UM-Bot

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Too late for me...my back teeth are a silver mine (I was born before fluoride).

Getting my silver mine replaced with resin (and crowns.... :( )  Plus I'm missing one tooth.  So this is all good news, but I seriously doubt that 1) I could afford it, 2) it will be ready before I'm gone, and 3) it actually works without turning me into a narwhal.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 4

I have all of my teeth but I do have 2 crowns. I'm leaving the 'silver mine' alone but suspect as time passes that I'll end up with a couple more crowns.

• Like 1

I saved money by having LEAD fillings instead of Silver and people said I was stupid Ha! well back to bed I don't need the nurse mad at me again.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AudioAndroid said:

I saved money by having LEAD fillings instead of Silver and people said I was stupid Ha! well back to bed I don't need the nurse mad at me again.

You're winning this thread so far.... :) 

• Like 1

I want them to be able to seed new teeth in the gum, but I'll be long gone by then!

• Like 4

This will be great but too late for me.  I'll be dead before I can afford it.  Then again from what I've been told you can buy a nice new car for the cost of a mouth full of implants.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

This will be great but too late for me.  I'll be dead before I can afford it.  Then again from what I've been told you can buy a nice new car for the cost of a mouth full of implants.

Not sure if "liking" this post is the right thing to do, because it's fairly depressing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, herbygant said:

I need time to chew this one over.

23 minutes ago, lilthor said:

This could take a bite out of dentistry.

Image result for rimshot meme

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorvir said:

Not sure if "liking" this post is the right thing to do, because it's fairly depressing.

I looked it up, more expensive than I even thought. 

A 3 or 4 tooth bridge mounted on two implants can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 (the average being $8,500). A full set of upper and lower implant supported dentures ranges from $25,000 to $95,000 (average of $34,000), depending heavily on the condition of your gums, jaw bone and existing teeth (if any).

http://www.dentalimplantcostguide.com/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

I looked it up, more expensive than I even thought. 

http://www.dentalimplantcostguide.com/

The cost of dental work is insane!

According to several of my older family members my great great grandmother actually grew a set of teeth in her 90's! :blink:

As ridiculous as that sounds they all swore it was the truth,even moreso when my grandfather said it i really believed it he wasn't much of a jokester...

I lucked up with a nice set and take care of them but teeth are kinda fragile.

Anyone got time to wait till their 90's to see what happens? :lol:

8 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Fillings could soon become a thing of the past thanks to a drug that can regrow and repair cavities.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/302564/scientists-find-way-to-regrow-decayed-teeth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSK-3

At the bottom it lists GSK-3 inhibitors. A copper cation is a positive charged copper molecule. Copper is an essential nutrient. Copper supplement stuck in your tooth cavity anyone?

There is still a problem, even if the dentin core can be regrown. Dentin is pretty soft compared to the enamel shell that we see as teeth. So, the dentist would have to restore the surface of the new dentin (assuming it CAN be regrown sufficiently), but at least, that may be done without the need for numbing, since the filling should be far enough away from the nerve. Also, any  old fillings would likely have to be removed before the medicine could be placed. Overall, a good idea to develop, but would not eliminate the dentist's job, just make visits easier.

17 hours ago, Ashotep said:

Then again from what I've been told you can buy a nice new car for the cost of a mouth full of implants.

Yep. I just had one tooth, and it would have made a hefty down payment. And for reasons I won't go into here (but yes, I take care of my teeth), I have cavities every time I go to the dentist. So this would be doubly welcome for me.

My dad used to say that if a faith healer was able to fix someones teeth, then he would believe in miracles. Seems science is going to beat them to it.

As someone who's cavity prone, I'm very excited!