Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Watch a Baby Eagle Peep and Eat in Real Time

Claire.

The little one was flapping its wings this morning an managed to get a few inches off the ground! I only wish he wouldn't do it so close to the nest's edge.

I wasn't quick enough to catch a screen cap showing E9's full wingspan, but it's impressive!

zU9Gcpk.png?1

• Like 1

We saw one of his little trips across the nest!  Wow, those wings!!

Also his mom was preening him, picking at his feathers...he didn't like that and snapped back at her!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

E9 has grown so much! He's just about the same size as his mom now. He's also almost ready to branch! He's so incredibly beautiful! I'll be sobbing my little heart out when he finally fledges.

• Like 2

Oh wow, you don't get to see this too often. E9's parents are both with him at the moment protecting him from very high winds.

IckfGH4.jpg?1

• Like 1

Kite flying weather in Florida!

Yesterday mom brought in a rabbit and E9 loved it! ;)

• Like 1

A rabbit? Yeah I bet he loved it.

E9's really lucky to have parents who are great hunters and protectors. They are taking really good care of him, and it shows. Remember when he was just a floppy little grey thing? Just look at him now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

A rabbit? Yeah I bet he loved it.

E9's really lucky to have parents who are great hunters and protectors. They are taking really good care of him, and it shows. Remember when he was just a floppy little grey thing? Just look at him now!

Yes, a medium sized rabbit. I had mixed feelings about it, but it's nature's way. I haven't checked the blog yet, but I'll bet it was noted. That's the first one I've seen served. I have seen a couple of squirrels, and the mysterious "mammal" as reported on the blog a while ago.

His wing span is incredible! I really like how neatly he folds them back into place :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Yes, a medium sized rabbit. I had mixed feelings about it, but it's nature's way. I haven't checked the blog yet, but I'll bet it was noted. That's the first one I've seen served. I have seen a couple of squirrels, and the mysterious "mammal" as reported on the blog a while ago.

His wing span is incredible! I really like how neatly he folds them back into place :)

I would have had a hard time watching it as well, but at the same time, the little one needs to eat — and he's got quite the appetite.

And yes, it's amazing how he can neatly tuck those enormous wings. He's so gorgeous to look at. Apparently, his head will turn white in about five years, and then he will totally look the part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

I would have had a hard time watching it as well, but at the same time, the little one needs to eat — and he's got quite the appetite.

And yes, it's amazing how he can neatly tuck those enormous wings. He's so gorgeous to look at. Apparently, his head will turn white in about five years, and then he will totally look the part.

5 years! Wow, I thought it might have been sooner. :)

Big boy! I was wondering how old until they can determine gender?

Also, I'm glad people are recording so that when the big "Branching" event happens we won't miss it.

From a little bundle of "fur" to an adult has been a real treat for me to watch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Big boy! I was wondering how old until they can determine gender?

I'm not sure about the age, but here's a detailed explanation about how size determines gender:

As with any birds where the genders have non-distinct plumages, the only ways to tell differences in sex are through size dimorphism (size differences) or in internal examination called a laparoscopy . Bald eagles exhibit size dimorphism; females on the average about 1/3 larger than males. Data compiled by Mark Stalmaster (1987 - "The Bald Eagle" pg. 16) found that 2 size measurements, beak depth and hallux (toe claw) length, show the greatest separation in sexes. These measurements can be used in the following equation: sex = (bill depth x 0.392) + (hallux length x 0.340) -27.694 (measurements in millimeters). If the answer is positive, the eagle is a female. If the answer is negative, the eagle is a male. See if you can figure out the sex of this eagle -- it is 1 of the 4 birds we are tracking in the western study: bill depth = 34.5 mm; hallux length = 43.0 mm.

Source: Bald Eagle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Thanks for the info!

I'll be watching. ;)

I thought the males were larger, but it turns out the females are about one third larger, and can weigh up to 10+ pounds more. Their wingspan is about eight feet, whereas a male's is approximately six. In situations where it's difficult to tell by looking at them, perhaps it's possible to also distinguish through differences in their vocalizations

• Like 1

8 feet! No wonder that rabbit looked so small!

They have cam #3 (down now)  that shows the pond, I want to see a fishing expedition! LOL

• Like 2

Thanks for that Claire, I missed it!

Wow, good deal. ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Thanks for that Claire, I missed it!

Wow, good deal. ;)

I missed it too! I was just checking up on him and spotted the video. My heart was pounding as I watched it even though I knew he was safe in the nest. He's doing so amazingly well. Can't wait to see him soar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claire. said:

I missed it too! I was just checking up on him and spotted the video. My heart was pounding as I watched it even though I knew he was safe in the nest. He's doing so amazingly well. Can't wait to see him soar.

I just watched the entire video, he couldn't stand still! Hopping from nest branch. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

I just watched the entire video, he couldn't stand still! Hopping from nest branch. :)

He was so excited and so cute!!!

• Like 1

Here's the latest from the weekly nest notes. E9's doing great at self-feed but still hasn't been able to unzip a fish or de-fur prey, but he'll get there. This is E9 from just a few minutes ago, perched on a branch above the nest.

HYpYgwW.png?1

• Like 1

^^ Incredible close-ups! I saw a few live, but wow! Thanks for posting that Claire! :nw:

• Like 1

Here's a nice short video with amazing closeups of Harriet and M15. Also some nice shots of E9 up long past his bedtime with a full moon in the background.

• Like 1

E9 has been spending a lot of time on his fave branch. Last night (late) he was perched with his ample talons grasping just the right size area of the branch. Looking around, flapping his big wings, and making me wonder when he will fly!

• Like 1

E9 slipped whilst wingersizing early this morning and accidentally fledged. He tried to get back up to the nest but ended up in a pasture.

His parents flew down and brought him breakfast:

vyibRve.jpg?1

I don't know how E9 will make it back up to the nest, and everyone's on the edge of their seats waiting to see what happens.

• Like 1