Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spooky figure photo's in garden

seeder

I'd have to call it faked. He said the pictures were taken within 2 seconds apart. Look at the moons edge lined up with the right side edge of the power line pole in one picture, and not lined up in the other. Look at the moon bottom higher up with the right side tree  that is crescent shaped in one picture, and not higher up in the other.. Now look at the tree base of the closest tree in both pictures. It appears he did not move, within those 2 seconds, yet these pictures show all the misalignment of the moon from one picture to the next.

• Like 3

An illusion caused by shadows. I see two images blurred by motion, moving toward the tree in the background instead of a single image crossing the field-of-view. An owl, it's wings on the down stroke with a long tailed rodent in it's clutches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

I do enjoy when you belittle people while so desperately trying to assert yourself as the only source with any credibility.

I do enjoy strawmen and handwaving.  When will you actually address what I said?  Do you seriously not understand how you can separate the hogwash from the hog?

5 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I do enjoy strawmen and handwaving.  When will you actually address what I said?  Do you seriously not understand how you can separate the hogwash from the hog?

Your privately educated riddles are above my head sir

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

I'd have to call it faked. He said the pictures were taken within 2 seconds apart. Look at the moons edge lined up with the right side edge of the power line pole in one picture, and not lined up in the other. Look at the moon bottom higher up with the right side tree  that is crescent shaped in one picture, and not higher up in the other.. Now look at the tree base of the closest tree in both pictures. It appears he did not move, within those 2 seconds, yet these pictures show all the misalignment of the moon from one picture to the next.

I noticed that too, but then I compared the moon's position to that of the carport in the lower left of the frame. The moon and carport have both changed positions in a way that indicates the photographer moved the camera an inch or two.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

An illusion caused by shadows. I see two images blurred by motion, moving toward the tree in the background instead of a single image crossing the field-of-view. An owl, it's wings on the down stroke with a long tailed rodent in it's clutches.

I see what you mean about the owl. Maybe instead of a rodent it was a cat or dog lunging up to grab the bird.

• Like 1

Is it not a jumping cat? Tail on the bottom left and front paws to right midway up.  Looks like it's wearing a hat mind you so maybe I'm crazy.

• Like 3

I'm rather busy right now on other things, but a few comments after a quick look:
1. No EXIF data is embedded in the images, despite the claimant answering a request to provide same back at Reddit, where this originated.  The 'originals' that were posted were larger, but still totally stripped of EXIF data.  That may be accidental, but it means analysis is severely hampered, and it casts doubt on the source's credibility.

2. While there are no obvious signs of photoshop/editing.. that may just mean that the person knew what they were doing.

3. Subjectively, the 'thing' just looks wrong.. in a number of ways:
  - the lighting appears to be from upper right, yet clearly that is not the case..  maybe there are light sources out of shot, but the overall scene and shadow suggests otherwise
  - the shadow doesn't match the figure very well (however that could just be the coloration of the ground or terrain issues)
  - the 'thing' is almost universally blurred - if it was 'walking' one might reasonably expect the stationary bits, eg the ground based foot, to be sharp..
  - there is a strange striped area in the thing near the brighter-lit grass - possibly a compression artefact, but it doesn't seem consistent with the rest of the image's quality

Overall... I have no idea.  It looks edited, but if it was, the editing was done quite carefully and it seems an odd shape to 'create'.  I've considered various possibilites, eg a small child running thru the shot, or an animal of some kind, perhaps leaping at an odd angle, but frankly nothing seems to fit all that well.

I'd REALLY like to see the *real* originals, if the claimant is listening.. 

• Like 1

0erVW9yl.jpg

0erVW9yl_edited.jpg

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

(The quote box is acting up...it's almost....paranormal...)

After seeing the owl and the cat, I had another thought: If that is what happened, then I can understand an elderly person missing the action while they were concentrating on taking the shot of the moon. The whole episode probably only lasted about 2-3 seconds. 

Edited by simplybill

0erVW9yl.jpg

• Like 2

When the picture is cropped like that, it does look like a dog or cat chasing a bird. 

And once again the UM community has solved a great mystery. 

I'd agree it does appear the Moon has moved between the two shots. I'd guess the camera was on a tripod, because otherwise it would have been a little off to one side or the other, and higher/lower.

The critter probably is real, in as far as it is something on the yard. Could be a Cottington Faerie situation, with a cut out staked into the yard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simplybill said:

When the picture is cropped like that, it does look like a dog or cat chasing a bird. 

And once again the UM community has solved a great mystery. 

Except the tail is smooth and rodent-like. Certainly no cat, is there a dog that has a tail like that? If in the States, it could also be an opossum.

Can't trust the truth of anything on Reddit, a site that is solely dependent on attention-grabbing pics and headlines to generate up-votes so people post a lot of fake stuff to accumulate Karma and votes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Except the tail is smooth and rodent-like. Certainly no cat, is there a dog that has a tail like that? If in the States, it could also be an opossum.

Not an opossum. They move really slow, and eat smaller things like rodents and berries.

I don't know what to think about the tail. If  the figure is actually a cat, then it may have stirred up some leaves when it jumped, which added to the light distortion in the photo. In the first photo there appears to be a small pile of leaves where the figure appears. Hard to say. 

Edited by simplybill

We're all counting pixels and it reminds me of Blurfoot photos. Why was someone out snapping pictures in the middle of the night? Certainly not of the moon with a streetlight in frame.

• Like 1

To address a few issues raised here that aren't quite right...
1. Exposure difference - almost all cameras have automatic exposure levels.  That means they usually change the levels as required for each picture, even if the scene doesn't change significantly or is only a few seconds later.  The final exposure is not only based on the balance of light and dark areas in the frame, it is also weighted - eg centre weighted where it gives less priority to light levels away from the central area..  The second image is different to the first, so I would expect a variation.  I see no anomaly with the two exposures.

2. The light in the trees is NOT a 'light'! It's a simple lens flare of the diagonal variety.  It moved between pics because the camera was tilted, and thus the streetlamp that caused the flare moved, and therefore the flare moved diagonally in the opposite direction..  That's what this type of lens flare does.  Again, no anomaly there.

3. Regarding the arms area being darker in the original, I'm not really seeing it - there is a slight darkening but it doesn't seem to align all that well and I think it's just synchronicity.... :D

4. The different alignments eg between the Moon and power lines is simply caused by changed perspective - things close to you move further than things further away, when you change your viewpoint..  Again, I see nothing odd about the relative position changes (I may come back later with an animation to show what I mean..)

On further examination, all I can add at the moment is that given the clarity of the images, the camera was probably on a tripod or some other support, and was obviously tilted straight downwards for the second shot... yet they didn't see anything .... 'nuther coincidence I guess..!

I'd have to say I smell a rat - this was posted 19 days ago, and the claimant seems to have gone to ground - he's not been seen for over two weeks...  Got what he wanted, perhaps?

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

We're all counting pixels and it reminds me of Blurfoot photos. Why was someone out snapping pictures in the middle of the night? Certainly not of the moon with a streetlight in frame.

My guess is they wanted a shot of the Supermoon, but I don't think the photographer has ever had photography lessons!

I thought they could've gotten a better shot from the driveway in front of the carport, away from the power lines. Maybe being elderly they didn't want to venture that far outdoors at night. 

Here's an excellent shot of the Supermoon that I took while on vacation in Hong Kong. 

IMG_1611.JPG

• Like 4

Applause for simplybill, that made me genuinely laugh out loud!

• Like 4

Anyway, while I'm sitting here with lots of more important stuff to do, let's play with Photoshop to illustrate a few points with this dead end image...:rofl:

Here is the '3D' version :D :
perspective.gif

There's a few things to note here, apart from the remarkable way that doing this sort of animation of two images at slightly different angles gives a way cool 3D effect...

1. I aligned the images mainly in the vertical direction, so the downward tilting component was removed.  However, I think you can now clearly see that it probably was taken at very close to the same time as the first shot, just from a slightly different viewpoint/angle.  And clearly my guess about it being just a downwards tilt was off :D .

2. Because of that vertical alignment and the cropping of the image, it gives a false impression of the lens flare's movement relative to the streetlamp.  But trust me, the jumping light in the trees is definitely a lens flare.

3.  While it is tempting to use this image to further guesstimate at the distance of the 'thing'.. Bear in mind it only exists in one frame so the 3D effect can be quite misleading and shouldn't be used to make a distance judgement.

I might have a different one to post a bit later..  No promises..

• Like 8

What skills, that was amazing!  The Lighting technique just perfect! YOUR HIRED ! @simplybill

HOLY CRAP THE 3D post just popped in SIMPLY BREATHTAKING!, the BRFO WANTS YOU ! * ChrLzs

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

Only takes a moment to run out and stick a Halloween decoration into the ground.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4