Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

May's brexit speech

spartan max2

My answer is clear. I want this United Kingdom to emerge from this period of change stronger, fairer, more united and more outward-looking than ever before. I want us to be a secure, prosperous, tolerant country - a magnet for international talent and a home to the pioneers and innovators who will shape the world ahead. I want us to be a truly Global Britain – the best friend and neighbour to our European partners, but a country that reaches beyond the borders of Europe too. A country that goes out into the world to build relationships with old friends and new allies alike.

I want Britain to be what we have the potential, talent and ambition to be. A great, global trading nation that is respected around the world and strong, confident and united at home.

This is just 2017 in a nutshell...

"My answer is clear. I want these United States to emerge from this period of change stronger, fairer, more united and more outward-looking than ever before. I want us to be a secure, prosperous, tolerant country - a magnet for international talent and a home to the pioneers and innovators who will shape the world ahead. I want us to be a truly Great America – the best friend and neighbour to our European partners, but a country that reaches beyond the borders of Europe too. A country that goes out into the world to build relationships with old friends and new allies alike.

I want America to be what we have the potential, talent and ambition to be. A great, global trading nation that is respected around the world and strong, confident and united at home."

65010080.jpg

We live in interesting times, mon frere

• Like 4

I wish the UK luck.  I want to see them do very well with this.  I'm sure they won't have a hard time getting a trade deal with the US.

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

We live in interesting times, mon frere

Interesting, exciting, uncertain and dangerous, I feel we are at a crossroads of sorts and anything could happen.

• Like 8

...In light of the exit parameters that PM May has outlined, i guess it won't take long for Britain and the EU to thrash-out an agreement. All so surreal.

2 hours ago, Ashotep said:

I wish the UK luck.  I want to see them do very well with this.  I'm sure they won't have a hard time getting a trade deal with the US.

Interesting, exciting, uncertain and dangerous, I feel we are at a crossroads of sorts and anything could happen.

It's really hard to make sense of how fast the world is actually changing sometimes. Technology, social media, politics, environment etc I'm sure water finds its level and things settle down eventually.

• Like 1

here's the full speech on video ---

I haven't watched all of it yet  - but I think Teresa is lookin' good and sounding calm and confident - just what's needed :)

• Like 3

Theresa Mays' speech was perfect, it was exactly what i was hoping for, The reality of the situation was the EU never thought we'd leave, they thought we were bluffing before the referendum and also after the referendum, they thought they held all the cards, they thought we'd want to remain in the single market and that was there best card/hand, they planned all their strategy around that, this is where they'd planned to play hard ball and keep us on the hook, they (EU) wrongly thought they'd be in a position of power to dictate to us, well, the EU's bluff is well and truly called.

Britains' destination at the start of the negotiations is to be out of the single market at the end and that's where we'll end up out of the single market. - its the best option, the EU cannot do trade deals in a acceptable time frame as we've seen over the years and most recently with Canada, the EU would have to consult 27 members and numerous other regions of member states.

Can anyone imagine the situation if we'd have wanted to stay in the single market, it would have been a gift from the gods to the EU it would in effect be EU-lite. we'd still be paying Billions in membership, EU courts would still rule over us, unable to do our own trade deals, and no border control. - the EU would've had us on the hook wriggling for 2 years spreading uncertainty over that time and finally when the 2 year negotiations would have ended, it would have ended in the UK having to accept EU-lite. unacceptable. 

I don't think our demands are unacceptable. We no longer want to be part of the political club, and we want to trade with the EU in the same manner we'll trade with any other country that offers a trade deal. - All you europhiles out there should be jumping for joy that the UK is leaving it allows the Continent to move more swiftly towards its objective of a Federation, a new country, a United States of Europe, economic stability and trade deal with the UK allows the EU to achieve this goal - which is your ultimate dream. so i ask why the hostility?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Theresa Mays' speech was perfect, it was exactly what i was hoping for, The reality of the situation was the EU never thought we'd leave, they thought we were bluffing before the referendum and also after the referendum, they thought they held all the cards, they thought we'd want to remain in the single market and that was there best card/hand, they planned all their strategy around that, this is where they'd planned to play hard ball and keep us on the hook, they (EU) wrongly thought they'd be in a position of power to dictate to us, well, the EU's bluff is well and truly called.

Britains' destination at the start of the negotiations is to be out of the single market at the end and that's where we'll end up out of the single market. - its the best option, the EU cannot do trade deals in a acceptable time frame as we've seen over the years and most recently with Canada, the EU would have to consult 27 members and numerous other regions of member states.

Can anyone imagine the situation if we'd have wanted to stay in the single market, it would have been a gift from the gods to the EU it would in effect be EU-lite. we'd still be paying Billions in membership, EU courts would still rule over us, unable to do our own trade deals, and no border control. - the EU would've had us on the hook wriggling for 2 years spreading uncertainty over that time and finally when the 2 year negotiations would have ended, it would have ended in the UK having to accept EU-lite. unacceptable. 

I don't think our demands are unacceptable. We no longer want to be part of the political club, and we want to trade with the EU in the same manner we'll trade with any other country that offers a trade deal. - All you europhiles out there should be jumping for joy that the UK is leaving it allows the Continent to move more swiftly towards its objective of a Federation, a new country, a United States of Europe, economic stability and trade deal with the UK allows the EU to achieve this goal - which is your ultimate dream. so i ask why the hostility?

I always look for your Brexit assessments. Well said - "nationalism" needs to stop being a dirty word.

• Like 5

Land of hope and glory, Mother of the free....I hope that the remainers realise that they aren't going to be governed by Merkel & Co anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Land of hope and glory, Mother of the free....I hope that the remainers realise that they aren't going to be governed by Merkel & Co anymore. 

No, we get a different over-authoritarian woman no-one voted for. Except instead we've got one who can't even run her own government, let alone the country.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Setton said:

No, we get a different over-authoritarian woman no-one voted for. Except instead we've got one who can't even run her own government, let alone the country.

I'm sorry... did a Corbynite just question Theresa May's leadership qualities?

*falls off the chair in stitches*

Sorry... let me compose myself... Bwahahaha... Noooo... stop it... you're killing me... :rofl:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said he stands by his view that immigration to the UK from the EU is not too high.

Apparently immigration isn't the only thing in the UK that is high... Hasn't he been following the Brexit result?

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I'm sorry... did a Corbynite just question Theresa May's leadership qualities?

*falls off the chair in stitches*

Sorry... let me compose myself... Bwahahaha... Noooo... stop it... you're killing me... :rofl:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said he stands by his view that immigration to the UK from the EU is not too high.

Apparently immigration isn't the only thing in the UK that is high... Hasn't he been following the Brexit result?

I'm sorry, is there a Corbynite hiding behind my chair that I don't know about? Or are you just totally clueless about my political leanings? Yes, I think it might be the clueless thing...

31 minutes ago, Setton said:

I'm sorry, is there a Corbynite hiding behind my chair that I don't know about? Or are you just totally clueless about my political leanings? Yes, I think it might be the clueless thing...

You were certainly pretty supportive of him last time his name entered our conversation:

On 07/07/2016 at 10:53 PM, Setton said:

Corbyn was elected as leader by members. If his MPs don't like that, they no longer represent their own party. Rather than try to oust their democratically elected leader, they should either unite behind him or leave the party. But leaving the party means losing that little rose on the ballot paper which is all that gets most of them their job. I have a feeling Corbyn would be able to find alternative candidates to stand in by-elections. And, given the 40,000 new member just joined to support Corbyn, could likely win those elections.

Quite simply, he's made it clear he won't bow to pressure from a handful of MPs who don't respect the choice of people they represent. They now have the choice to work with him or lose their jobs.

If I misjudge you, I stand corrected. This isn't a secret society though. Feel free to make your political leanings known. You certainly weren't shy in making your views of Theresa May clear...

• Like 1

very good speech - I'm proud of Teresa May and her Brexit team also pleased with the clarity of the points that were delivered -

quotes I've pulled out --- that I think go to the heart of the matter in the broad sense (first + second one)

and in the immediate priority category (third one) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

quotes

The public expect to be able to hold their governments to account very directly, and as a result supranational institutions as strong as those created by the European Union sit very uneasily in relation to our political history and way of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, these are the objectives we have set. Certainty wherever possible. Control of our own laws. Strengthening the United Kingdom. Maintaining the Common Travel Area with Ireland. Control of immigration. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU. Enhancing rights for workers. Free trade with European markets. New trade agreements with other countries. A leading role in science and innovation. Cooperation on crime, terrorism and foreign affairs. And a phased approach, delivering a smooth and orderly Brexit.

This is the framework of a deal that will herald a new partnership between the UK and the EU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And it will, I know, be debated and discussed at length. That is only right. But those who urge us to reveal more – such as the blow-by-blow details of our negotiating strategy, the areas in which we might compromise, the places where we think there are potential trade-offs – will not be acting in the national interest.

Because this is not a game or a time for opposition for opposition’s sake. It is a crucial and sensitive negotiation that will define the interests and the success of our country for many years to come. And it is vital that we maintain our discipline.

That is why I have said before – and will continue to say – that every stray word and every hyped up media report is going to make it harder for us to get the right deal for Britain. Our opposite numbers in the European Commission know it, which is why they are keeping their discipline. And the ministers in this Government know it too, which is why we will also maintain ours.

So however frustrating some people find it, the Government will not be pressured into saying more than I believe it is in our national interest to say. Because it is not my job to fill column inches with daily updates, but to get the right deal for Britain. And that is what I intend to do.

end of quotes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope Corbyn and Farron take especial notice of --- "this is not a game or a time for opposition for opposition's sake..." 

Edited by bee
improved presentation
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, bee said:

I hope Corbyn and Farron take especial notice of --- "this is not a game or a time for opposition for opposition's sake..." 

Corbyn and labour have a lot to lose if they try to frustrate Brexit and the negotiations. Labour is hemorrhaging votes in its heartlands, the very same heartlands which voted Leave. Labour as been put in a compromising position over Brexit they've never had a unified stance within the party with Labour shadow ministers contradicting one another on a daily or even hourly basis. Labour also have the problem of losing votes to UKIP.

As for the Lib Dems they can follow a policy to frustrate Brexit but in the end remain an irrelevance in all areas. On other matters they can promise voters the world because they'll never be in a position to deliver on them promises, but i'd expect them to make gains in local elections, maybe getting in to double figures, maybe 10-12 MP's compared to the 9 they currently have. 

The Fact is the United Kingdom is Leaving and we need a united front, Frau #allwelcome Merkel has appealed to German Industry not to lobby on behalf of Britain. She's asking them to take a hit, not for Germany but the EU. you can bet the French will follow suit being under pressure from their larger neighbour.

It's interesting looking around the front pages of the European papers, with the majority hostile to the UK, and its no use looking for support here at home with our very own national press as witnessed before and since the referendum.

Interesting to note: The UK has already begun work with the WTO to cover EU deals/outcome. So when we exit it'll be under WTO. Interesting that if we apply WTO rules to our current trade between the UK and EU. on them Tariffs The UK will raise £12.5Billion the EU will raise £5.1Billion. a net benefit to the UK treasury of £7.4Billion. But the EU's £5.1Billion will be divided up between 27 members and the countries who collected the tariff only keeping 25% in administrative costs. - So if we take the £7.4Billion and add our current £10Billion membership fee (we'll no longer pay) we will have £17Billion pounds annually to spend here at home. that's £85Billion in 5 years. or 170Billion over ten years to spend here at home. What would people like to spend it on?

a snapshot.

Services Social, Health care. NHS.

National infrastructure. Air, Rail, Roads, Sea Ports etc.. 

National ship building strategy (Royal Navy)

Community services, Health Clinics, Schools, Libraries, Leisure centres, Arts / Museums. etc...

Imagine the Job creation, and has our new trade deals from around world come on stream the economy will be boosted. But we need not political party 5 year plans we need 25 year, 50 year plans. which also have the added benefit of lower costs for contracts but high quality apprenticeships for our School leavers.

We concentrate on ourselves and lets others worry about us, - The World really is our Oyster.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, LV-426 said:

You were certainly pretty supportive of him last time his name entered our conversation:

If I misjudge you, I stand corrected. This isn't a secret society though. Feel free to make your political leanings known. You certainly weren't shy in making your views of Theresa May clear...

You can support the functioning of a democratic process without supporting the outcome. I would have thought as a Leave voter you'd understand that.

Of course I'm free to make my political leanings known. I choose not to because a ) it's no-one else's business and b ) I don't have time to go through every policy from every party and tell you which I do or do not agree with. The fact that you seem to assume everyone must align with one party or another shows how different our approaches to politics are. Suffice to say, the government I've been most content with was the coalition because they each kept the other in check.

As for May, if she comes in for more criticism than me, it might be because she is the only leader of a major UK party who's policies have directly contributed to innocent people's deaths. Either she can't get her government organised or she genuinely doesn't care about everyday people. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt by assuming she's simply incompetent.

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Interesting to note: The UK has already begun work with the WTO to cover EU deals/outcome. So when we exit it'll be under WTO. Interesting that if we apply WTO rules to our current trade between the UK and EU. on them Tariffs The UK will raise £12.5Billion the EU will raise £5.1Billion. a net benefit to the UK treasury of £7.4Billion. But the EU's £5.1Billion will be divided up between 27 members and the countries who collected the tariff only keeping 25% in administrative costs. - So if we take the £7.4Billion and add our current £10Billion membership fee (we'll no longer pay) we will have £17Billion pounds annually to spend here at home. that's £85Billion in 5 years. or 170Billion over ten years to spend here at home. What would people like to spend it on?

a snapshot.

Services Social, Health care. NHS.

National infrastructure. Air, Rail, Roads, Sea Ports etc.. 

National ship building strategy (Royal Navy)

Community services, Health Clinics, Schools, Libraries, Leisure centres, Arts / Museums. etc...

Imagine the Job creation, and has our new trade deals from around world come on stream the economy will be boosted. But we need not political party 5 year plans we need 25 year, 50 year plans. which also have the added benefit of lower costs for contracts but high quality apprenticeships for our School leavers.

We concentrate on ourselves and lets others worry about us, - The World really is our Oyster.

Interesting stuff and you paint a pretty picture. But I can't help but wonder where the money would actually be spent though. Do you really think a government that has continually underfunded all the things you list will suddenly turn around and decide to invest extra money in these areas? I'm doubtful.

6 hours ago, Setton said:

The fact that you seem to assume everyone must align with one party or another shows how different our approaches to politics are.

That's pretty much the way our system works if you want to cast a vote. Sure, you can agree and disagree with aspects of each party's manifesto. Ultimately though you have to align yourself one way or another when it comes to putting your cross in the box.

6 hours ago, Setton said:

As for May, if she comes in for more criticism than me, it might be because she is the only leader of a major UK party who's policies have directly contributed to innocent people's deaths. Either she can't get her government organised or she genuinely doesn't care about everyday people. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt by assuming she's simply incompetent.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Also, why not give us your views on Corbyn and Farron? You've utterly damned Theresa May. Forgetting the parties for the time being, do you think either of these men could actually lead Britain, in or out of the EU?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bee said:

very good speech - I'm proud of Teresa May and her Brexit team also pleased with the clarity of the points that were delivered -

quotes I've pulled out --- that I think go to the heart of the matter in the broad sense (first + second one)

and in the immediate priority category (third one) 

Really? She takes the option of hard brexit and then she threatens the EU with a punitive "no" deal if she doesn't get what she wants for Britain... why bother? If she feels so positive about the future for Britain outside the EU then just tigger article 50, say you want nothing but WTO rules and leave... admitting before negotiations even start that the chances of a good deal are non-existent really isn't negotiating from a position of strength. Its a defeatist strategy requiring telling the British nation all is well when in reality hoping the rest of the EU becomes generous in its exit terms. Think about it... you promise to "safe guard British borders" but in order to do so you have to give up economic gains and relationships in Europe. Okay, fair enough so if WTO rules are so great then why does Britain need to sign individual trade agreements with the EU and the rest of the world?  

Nah, if you bothered to read between the lines you would realise it was a horrible speech that should have the entire British Isles worried for the future. :)

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Nah, if you bothered to read between the lines you would realise it was a horrible speech that should have the entire British Isles worried for the future. :)

~~~~~ turn that frown upside down ~~~~

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LV-426 said:

That's pretty much the way our system works if you want to cast a vote. Sure, you can agree and disagree with aspects of each party's manifesto. Ultimately though you have to align yourself one way or another when it comes to putting your cross in the box.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Also, why not give us your views on Corbyn and Farron? You've utterly damned Theresa May. Forgetting the parties for the time being, do you think either of these men could actually lead Britain, in or out of the EU?

Setton I believe as alluded to training to be or is actually a teacher? (could be getting mixed up with someone else on here) But if he is, that puts him in firmly in the Labour, Lib Dems or Green camp. - he'll naturally dislike the Tories its part of the course  at "teacher school" and the professions unions have had their run ins with Labour, so, Lib Dems, but they did backtrack on tuition fees. Setton will flip-flop between Labour and Lib Dems. :tu: but he's a Lib Dems man. evidence in a post above he liked the coalition Government Tory/Lib Dems. and he doesn't like the Tories, So, yes put money he's a lib dem man. :lol:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Really? She takes the option of hard brexit and then she threatens the EU with a punitive "no" deal if she doesn't get what she wants for Britain... why bother? If she feels so positive about the future for Britain outside the EU then just tigger article 50, say you want nothing but WTO rules and leave... admitting before negotiations even start that the chances of a good deal are non-existent really isn't negotiating from a position of strength. Its a defeatist strategy requiring telling the British nation all is well when in reality hoping the rest of the EU becomes generous in its exit terms. Think about it... you promise to "safe guard British borders" but in order to do so you have to give up economic gains and relationships in Europe. Okay, fair enough so if WTO rules are so great then why does Britain need to sign individual trade agreements with the EU and the rest of the world?  

Did you watch and listen to her speech? or are you just reading headlines again. Hard Brexit was only ever the real option. as outlined in David Camerons leaflet drop to every home in the country which stated leaving the EU means leaving the single market. If we was to remain in the single market we'd still be in the EU. EU-lite paying the fees accepting the laws and no control of borders.

Theresa May in her speech says the UK no longer wants to be part of the political club, but wants to trade with the EU just like non-EU countries do, such as Canada, South Korea or Peru does. its rather strange the EU can agree a free trade deal with Canada, but they don't impose EU laws on Canada, they don't ask Canada to pay £10Billion a year or accept open borders for EU citizens.

And when Theresa May says if we don't get a deal we'll walk away, what do you want her to do if no deal can be struck? just sit there forever more in silence or accept a deal just to suit the EU. nah, not on your nelly. Also we have12 trade deals waiting in the wings with the likes of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, USA, South Korea that need to come into force when the negotiations end - as we are unable to conclude these deals as long as we remain EU members so we cannot wait around forever for a dithering EU. - Listen if we go WTO that suits us better, will generate £7.4Billion for our treasury. see my post above #15.

Never underestimate the British, we ain't nobodies fool. Its one thing when the EU toys around with the likes of Ireland, Greece or even Italy, - the Ground the UK occupies is where the big boys play.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

Did you watch and listen to her speech? or are you just reading headlines again. Hard Brexit was only ever the real option. as outlined in David Camerons leaflet drop to every home in the country which stated leaving the EU means leaving the single market. If we was to remain in the single market we'd still be in the EU. EU-lite paying the fees accepting the laws and no control of borders.

Theresa May in her speech says the UK no longer wants to be part of the political club, but wants to trade with the EU just like non-EU countries do, such as Canada, South Korea or Peru does. its rather strange the EU can agree a free trade deal with Canada, but they don't impose EU laws on Canada, they don't ask Canada to pay £10Billion a year or accept open borders for EU citizens.

And when Theresa May says if we don't get a deal we'll walk away, what do you want her to do if no deal can be struck? just sit there forever more in silence or accept a deal just to suit the EU. nah, not on your nelly. Also we have12 trade deals waiting in the wings with the likes of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, USA, South Korea that need to come into force when the negotiations end - as we are unable to conclude these deals as long as we remain EU members so we cannot wait around forever a dithering EU. - Listen if we go WTO that suits us better, will generate £7.4Billion for our treasury. see my post above #15.

Never underestimate the British, we ain't nobodies fool. Its one thing when the EU toys around with the likes of Ireland, Greece or even Italy, - the Ground the UK occupies is where the big boys play.

It's obvious that you saw May's speech but didn't understand a single thing about it. Here let me help:

May wants to cheery pick the best features of the EU.

Brexit according to May... is all about continuing trade with the EU as a member while outside the union, and having the same customs union with the EU while being able to have its own individual custom and trade unions with others. Do you find something strange about that?

I will let that sink in for you before i continue... 

I was away on holiday but still caught the speech on BBC world news.  I was away on the Canary Island of La Palma but received some very positive comments from the locals.  As a island nation they tended to understand that life is different from Mainland Europe and that Britain has the right and the ability to go on without the EU.

Back in England and back to the reality of the remoaners still hoping beyond hope that the so-called Hard Brexit will somehow give them the opportunity to force a second referendum, third, fourth, or fifth until they get the remain answer they are so desperate for.  

Peers Morgan got it spot on last night on Question Time, when he likened it to the US presidential Election.  Basically, that is the result now get on with it as there will be no second or third referendum or US presidential election vote.

• Like 2

Now, according to May... she intends to negotiate these very generous brexit positions by threatening the EU. Imagine that. Threatening a club that hasn't threatened the UK. It's only crime being that it refuses to give Britain the advantages and privileges of the club without the responsibilities. May threatens to unleash mass deregulation and non existent corporate tax to attack the EU and attract investment away from the EU. 

In other words Britain wants the EU to disintegrate in order for brexit to work. 

Someone has over exaggerated Britain's negotiating hand. Why? Well its not for the benefit of the Europeans... they already know where this is headed. Its to prepare the British public for a nationalist decision based on "ruling the waves" and past imperial glory instead of a financial advantage. Isn't that what her speech was about?

Edited by Captain Risky

47 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

And when Theresa May says if we don't get a deal we'll walk away, what do you want her to do if no deal can be struck? just sit there forever more in silence or accept a deal just to suit the EU. nah, not on your nelly. Also we have12 trade deals waiting in the wings with the likes of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, USA, South Korea that need to come into force when the negotiations end - as we are unable to conclude these deals as long as we remain EU members so we cannot wait around forever for a dithering EU. - Listen if we go WTO that suits us better, will generate £7.4Billion for our treasury. see my post above #15.

BOLDED: If Hard Brexit was the only real option then why is May pursing soft Brexit? 

BOLDED: EU-lite without the fee's and responsibilities of laws and border controls is exactly what May want's. Fancy that... telling the UK public that she's gunning for hard brexit while hoping beyond hope that the EU gives in to her demands for soft brexit. 

BOLDED: Ha ha... no longer part of the club but with free and uninterrupted access to it. Canada, South Korea and Peru don't have the privileged trade partnership that Britain want's. And Britain doesn't want what they have either. Cause if they did then we wouldn't have anything to say about the matter. 

BOLDED: You already have trade deals with all those countries. May and the brexiteers just think they can do better. Maybe maybe not.  

BOLDED: I would never underestimate anyone let alone the British. But being British is no guarantee of success.