Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fractal Patterns

Mentalcase

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentalcase

• odinsupreme

• Tommy

- Fractal, is a complex geometric figure made up of patterns that repeat themselves at smaller and smaller scales.

We see them in almost everything; plants, snowflakes, formation of glass, spread of forest fires, and the distribution of galaxies throughout space is like a fractal.  Some good examples of fractal pattern's; ferns, how branches spread on a tree and snowflakes.  

What could we learn from these patterns? Is there some kind of language or code of nature we could understand more about?  Could we use fractal patterns for building and technology? Can data be more compressed with fractals?  

Oh yeah, Some Crop Circles are fractal patterns. :)

You start a thread because you don't know what Fractal Patterns means, and then you reply with the answer?  ???

And the other questions, well, maybe it is an secret code of aliens but our brain can only understand it if we let our mind undrstand it. The same problem is it that alsmost every animal on this planet is affraid for humans, why, did we do them wrong in the prehistoric time?

I posted the first question just to see who would reply. Just wanted to hear what other people had to say about this topic. Now that i explained myself, thank you for noticing. If anyone has anything else about fractals, please post.

Sorry for the sarcasm  :)

Hey MC,

I'm not too sure how relevant this is too your topic of fractal patterns, but the idea reminded me of one of my favourite artists by the name of Mauritz C Escher. original.gif  He was fascinated by mathematical concepts and tried to convey them in his artwork.

One of the more complicated theories he portrayed was that of hyperbolic space (or 4th dimensional space). Although I find this subject very confusing, according to the book Fermat’s last theorem by S. Singh, “four-dimensional space is a mathematically valid concept and it is the extra dimension that gives the modular forms such an immensely high level of symmetry.”

Anyways, it’s quite hard to explain, so check out Escher’s circle limit IV for yourself grin2.gif

http://www.astro.washington.edu/labs/clear...Heaven_Hell.gif

Edited by Tommy

Nice pic!!

I was just asking this music theory forum about fractals and how to transpose them to music.  I also asked how to transpose a cube. Nobody has replied yet though. :(  I was reading somewhere that someone has taken the properties of a fern and transposed them.  I'm a musician and I would like to know for experimental purposes.

:D Glad you like it, but I have no idea how to transpose fractals to music  ??? sorry.

Have you seen the Plant Music thread started by Magikman. That might answer some questions.  :)