Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are cats equally as intelligent as dogs ?

UM-Bot

Id say from personal experience, a cat is far more intelligent than any dog I've owned, my cat can open doors, turns on taps for a drink (doesn't turn them off though) and if ive locked her out she jumps up to the mail slot in the door, holds on and meaooows untill shes let in, if i leave the dog out he wants back in he just stands there like an idiot

• Like 9

My dog has a fierce bark and bite.......my cats tell her whats for though........when food is around the baby kitten sits back sometimes......the dog is naturally quicker.....

Edited by cluey
  • Like 2

Oh hell yes they are.  Even more so at times.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

Id say from personal experience, a cat is far more intelligent than any dog I've owned, my cat can open doors, turns on taps for a drink (doesn't turn them off though) and if ive locked her out she jumps up to the mail slot in the door, holds on and meaooows untill shes let in, if i leave the dog out he wants back in he just stands there like an idiot

I have an incredibly smart cat that does tricks (when she feels like it) and also understands most of what I say.  For instance, the other day I fed her a bit earlier than usual and told her, "Just gave you dinner", and she got off the couch and went to her bowl in the kitchen.  

As to your dog, I think the difference is that your dog will wait for you forever and come in at YOUR leisure rather than when it's convenient for your dog.  Dogs live for us.

I have a little plaque on my wall that reads:  "Dogs have owners; cats have staff."

:)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sundew said:

It's been said: dogs have masters, cats have servants. 

Well said, I love my dogs but even my conure parrot has shown she is smarter than them! I had cats before and they want to be Kings not the servants like dogs for sure. 

• Like 2

I've had cats most of my life.  I don't right now because my mixed Britney thinks cats are only for chasing.  She terrorizes the strays I feed. Of course I could get a cat to "educate " her with a fast swipe to the nose.  Worked on my Setter. I'm not sure cats are smarter than dogs, though.  Cats don't recognize limitations.  They do what they want, when they want.  Dogs learn that there are ramifications for doing things that displease their masters.  Cats don't get a $h!t.

• Like 3

Cats aren't more intelligent... they just think they are :cat:

Except of course Grumpy Cat, who is going to lead us into a new age of enlightenment!

grumpy-cat-meets-a-fan.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

if i leave the dog out he wants back in he just stands there like an idiot

:lol:

• Like 6

Behavior is not a measure of intelligence. Nor is intelligence a measure of behavior. They are indeed two different "animals."

Edited by highdesert50
words dropped when posted
  • Like 3

Cats most certainly recognize limitations. Mine is actually quite well behaved. She's learned not to claw the furniture or rugs. She's learned she's not allowed up on the counter. She knows she can't terrorize the dog (though she's allowed to put him in his place if need be).
She also knows that door knobs open doors (though she can't operate our standard round ones).
To be fair, both our cat and dog seem to have the same level of speach recognition. Probably because we talk to them like little furry humans. My cat often has 'conversations' with me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Behavior is not a measure of intelligence. Nor is intelligence a measure of behavior. They are indeed two different "animals."

Cats are really a semi-domesticated animal in a lot of ways, they have been altered far less than dogs have from their ancestors, there have been relatively few mutations like short legs, hairlessness and so forth, and their form is generally the same as the wild cats of Arabia. Dogs have been far more modified, not only in form but in many cases to retain the traits of puppies. Cats are solitary, dogs are pack animals, regarding either themselves or you as the Alpha male or female. There is also so much superstition around cats, in some cultures they are revered in others shunned or destroyed as agents of evil. They are certainly one of the most successful groups of predatory animals, found naturally on every continent except Australia, and they have even colonized that island continent with disastrous consequences. But they are smart. I have one that will fetch, but only when it wanted to; it had to bring the toy to me first. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Get back to me when you can train your cats to do this by whistling:

Fair point, i was watching the obstacle course dogs aswell,  i would say dogs intelligence varies greatly between breeds and even individuals, where as a cats is more a flat constant throughout.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lilly said:

They're getting there :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345070/Lion-tiger-cubs-herd-sheep-Ranch-Hotel-Limpopo-Province-South-Africa.html

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Cats drool, dogs rule.

You were saying :D

4485292f1ee1dec1593a01d6688ab392.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Whistling is for wolves-- B) cats never respond to :rolleyes: wolf calls.

Cats and dogs, in general, are good at different things.

My dog knows who rules.  Depending upon the time of day and location of our cattle, all she needs to hear is "Hya!"  Provided that verbal command, she knows how and exactly where to herd our steers (our milk cow is free to take exception by adhering to her usual routine).  "Get 'em" is a cue to a bovine "to get in line, or else."  Should the b****  have to force his compliance, "back" means back-off.  Much as I love her, you'd think she works equally hard at trying to <_< reek.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

Fair point, i was watching the obstacle course dogs aswell,  i would say dogs intelligence varies greatly between breeds and even individuals, where as a cats is more a flat constant throughout.

Good point, the smartest animal I ever had was a poodle but he was individual not yor average dog at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Four Winds said:

Haha!

let the cat vs dog fight go on LOL 

Let's just say we all still  love our not so smart babies too! 

4 hours ago, Lilly said:

Why would they chase those comfortable transporters away?

• Like 4