Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are cats equally as intelligent as dogs ?

UM-Bot

5 hours ago, Lilly said:

Get back to me when you can train your cats to do this by whistling:

We have a cat who obeys the command, Speak, comes when he is called, walks me to work, has even picked me up from work, but he is an utter utter b******...

he can also tell when the water pistol we use for aversion therapy is empty. He's smart and nasty.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 5

Just really depends on the cat and the dog...

I'm a dog person but have a cat aswell,i have one really smart dog and one dummy lol.

No joke my cats intelligence level goes up or down depending on which dog he is around...or maybe it doesn't and he's just easily influenced :lol:

I think cats have better instincts from birth and appear smarter until they are compared to a well trained dog...

• Like 4

Plainly cats are smarter; they get us to feed and care for them and do nothing in return except what they would do anyway.

• Like 3

Cats probably could herd sheep they just don't care about it. I have a cat now that when he really wants something will move his lips like he is imitating the words I say. Sounds nuts but I have shown video to my friends. Honestly he is probably mocking me going like, saaaayyyy treat,  come on you can do it... Hehe. He is the smartest cat I have ever had,  he will watch me intently as I do things and turn his head back and forth like he is trying to figure out what I am doing. He wakes me every morning,  gets p***ed off if I stay up past when he thinks bedtime is. His only bad side is jealousy,  he hates my little 8 year old niece and has pretty much her whole life.  He hates it when she gets attention,  he thinks all of her toys are his and even dunked his foot in her water glass repeatedly just to be a snot. Since she has gotten older he has gotten a bit better,  he sits and stares at her til she leaves. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Lilly said:

Get back to me when you can train your cats to do this by whistling:

You know what I Lilly,  when I was a kid, my mom took in strays, any kind of animals. I remember how one mommy cat was teaching recently weaned kittens to hunt. Those little guys worked like sheep herders to several mice, no whistle just their mommy cat. It was awesome to me as a kid.

Cats are smart but unlike dogs they are very independent leaders not followers like most dogs. 

I like birds too because they are social like dogs if they have your trust. My one dog is very smart and loving to mommy but coniving with the stupid but loving cocker. The parrot can trick both of them very easily by making sounds of things that make them bark then laughs and says stupid dogs. 

I like animals that are not trained by treats but by loving gestures from us.

The cocker would choose to come to a stranger with a steak then mommy or daddy. Our papichon wouldn't go to food but come to mommy. The little conure parrot is more independent like a cat and is cautious with visitors, makes her own judgement on who to befriend. The parrot was the one who let us know when a fire started in the basement, while the dogs were too dumb to know it was a danger. But then I know if I had my Lassie like poodle, he would have been much smarter and warned us of danger.

Most animals are very intelligent in their own ways once we know them, but  non pet owners will never get it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

Cats probably could herd sheep they just don't care about it. I have a cat now that when he really wants something will move his lips like he is imitating the words I say. Sounds nuts but I have shown video to my friends. Honestly he is probably mocking me going like, saaaayyyy treat,  come on you can do it... Hehe. He is the smartest cat I have ever had,  he will watch me intently as I do things and turn his head back and forth like he is trying to figure out what I am doing. He wakes me every morning,  gets p***ed off if I stay up past when he thinks bedtime is. His only bad side is jealousy,  he hates my little 8 year old niece and has pretty much her whole life.  He hates it when she gets attention,  he thinks all of her toys are his and even dunked his foot in her water glass repeatedly just to be a snot. Since she has gotten older he has gotten a bit better,  he sits and stares at her til she leaves. 

This is a fun thread cats do the funniest things :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

This is a fun thread cats do the funniest things :)

I think cats and dogs are about equal in the doing funny things category.

Now this is a nice coincidence; at the moment out my window there is a brahma calf trying to graze and a blackbird is on his back pecking at him and driving him crazy -- jumping around and even rolling over, but of course the bird just comes back.  Poor animal is tethered so he can't run away.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Frank Merton said:

I think cats and dogs are about equal in the doing funny things category.

Now this is a nice coincidence; at the moment out my window there is a brahma calf trying to graze and a blackbird is on his back pecking at him and driving him crazy -- jumping around and even rolling over, but of course the bird just comes back.  Poor animal is tethered so he can't run away.

Paradise, placid.  Well sounds like anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, MWoo7 said:

Paradise, placid.  Well sounds like anyway.

Oh, yes, but wait until you are at least seventy before you seek out such a place.

• Like 1

Interesting study, however there's more to intelligence than memory test performance. While showing signs of equal proficiency in this exercise, I'd bet they each outperform the other in other activities. 

• Like 1

Same with humans Inuit might have a hard time helping myself or other enlightened ones survive yet a certain type of man's test says some people might be almost geniuses with a super IQ test YEY! so glad we have the highly educated ones to lighten the load and brighten the way for the rest. Shoot forgot the qualifier/clarityBLAH!

33 minutes ago, PrisonerX said:

each outperform the other in other activities

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree and Cats can be cool, but can you teach a cat to catch a Frisbee or fetch the morning paper or protect you from a maniac. I like Cats, but I'm pretty much so a Dog person.

16 minutes ago, Mark56 said:

Yeah, I agree and Cats can be cool, but can you teach a cat to catch a Frisbee or fetch the morning paper or protect you from a maniac. I like Cats, but I'm pretty much so a Dog person.

Dogs are easier to teach tricks because they want to please you; a cat can learn such things but it only wants to please itself, so different tactics are needed.

Personally, while I like dogs a lot and are a lot more fun to go exploring with, I admire a cat's dignity and self-reliance.  Dog-people tend to like the worship they get; cat people tend to like the fact that you have to earn a cat's affection (although a few good scratches behind the ear are often enough).

• Like 3

This is one of my best all time Hero Dog stories:  

• Like 3

Aww - I like both cats and dogs. They are both smart and unique in many different ways. They also come with their own individual personalities as well. But dogs are of course a lot more versatile.

While cats are more (me, myself and I)....dogs tend to exhibit more affection and emotion than felines do. They also do wonderful services for us....such as guiding the blind...working with police... being sniffer-dogs at airports etc...

images_5.jpg

^ aint dat just bootiful.... :wub:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Aww - I like both cats and dogs. They are both smart and unique in many different ways. They also come with their own individual personalities as well. But dogs are of course a lot more versatile.

While cats are more (me, myself and I)....dogs tend to exhibit more affection and emotion than felines do. They also do wonderful services for us....such as guiding the blind...working with police... being sniffer-dogs at airports etc...

images_5.jpg

^ aint dat just bootiful.... :wub:

It's even funnier watching them work together :lol:

I wished i could have recorded it,this past summer my dog (the smart one) kept barking like crazy for what appeared to me for no reason,well he kept it up for a few more minutes so i went to see what he was carrying on about...

He had a 5 foot rattlesnake semi cornered and wouldn't let it get away,i tried calling him away to me and BAM outta nowhere my tom gottem! :rofl:

Now when he works together with the other one,i usually have some kinda mess to clean up :rofl:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, I'm biased towards dogs, but I do think they are deservedly known as "man's best friend" for good reason.

I don't know if this is Geo-blocked outside the U.K., but it's well worth a watch; amazing facts and heart-warming stories:

Secret Life of Dogs - Series 2 - Episode 1

YouTube teaser for Season 1:

5 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I have to admit, I'm biased towards dogs, but I do think they are deservedly known as "man's best friend" for good reason.

I don't know if this is Geo-blocked outside the U.K., but it's well worth a watch; amazing facts and heart-warming stories:

Secret Life of Dogs - Series 2 - Episode 1

YouTube teaser for Season 1:

Cant do it man. Animal shows and movies make me cry like a baby. If you knew the things ive done that would be really freaking  hilarious. But yeah cant do it 

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Cant do it man. Animal shows and movies make me cry like a baby. If you knew the things ive done that would be really freaking  hilarious. But yeah cant do it 

I hear ya!

There's a section with a disabled little girl being helped to walk by her much loved pal, and even I had to pretend I had something in my eye :cry:

• Like 2

Here is another joke  ; 

" News Flash !     Cat saves family from burning house !  "  

(Its one of our dog jokes :)  ) 

Together ,  Human, Dog and Cattle enabled development, hunting, gathering, settlement, agriculture .... civilisation  !

Dog is companion of mankind , the earliest scriptures tell us ,that Dog accompanies one of the six 'Divine Sparks'  -  ' Vohu Manah '  ( Good Purpose , God Mind, Good Thought  )   on which friendships and  good society depends 

Related image

Now .... if any cats would care to debate archaeotheology with me , I would be more than happy     :) 

~  Be wared though ....  I have  notes  and references .... lots of 'em !    

Image result for studious dog

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2