Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Waspie_Dwarf

Jupiter from Juno

60 posts in this topic

psyche101

Hi Waspie

Thanks for yet another breathtaking thread. 

I read the core of Jupiter is 'fuzzy' from Junos data,  might I impress upon you as to what that actually refers to? 

Waspie_Dwarf
11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I read the core of Jupiter is 'fuzzy' from Junos data,  might I impress upon you as to what that actually refers to? 

There has long been a debate about whether Jupiter had a rocky core or if it is hydrogen all the way through. If it is hydrogen then pressure will force the hydrogen firstly into a liquid metallic state and finally into a solid metallic state.

I haven't come across the term "fuzzy core" before but it sounds to me like it could be a description of this metallic hydrogen core... I can imagine that such a core would not be distinctly delineated as would be the case with a rocky core and might, thus be described as "fuzzy".

• Like 1

Merc14

This may be one of those questions we never get an answer to.

• Like 1

psyche101
1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

There has long been a debate about whether Jupiter had a rocky core or if it is hydrogen all the way through. If it is hydrogen then pressure will force the hydrogen firstly into a liquid metallic state and finally into a solid metallic state.

I haven't come across the term "fuzzy core" before but it sounds to me like it could be a description of this metallic hydrogen core... I can imagine that such a core would not be distinctly delineated as would be the case with a rocky core and might, thus be described as "fuzzy".

Thanks Waspie 

I was hoping something had got past me, I find myself quite fascinated by the question of Jupiter's core 

This is where I first heard to term fuzzy applied to a description of Jupiter's core 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.space.com/37005-jupiter-fuzzy-core-nasa-juno.html

I hope it is a question we can answer definitely someday just for personal reasons 

Waspie_Dwarf

Jovian ‘Twilight Zone’

pia21980.jpg

This image captures the swirling cloud formations around the south pole of Jupiter, looking up toward the equatorial region.

NASA’s Juno spacecraft took the color-enhanced image during its eleventh close flyby of the gas giant planet on Feb. 7 at 7:11 a.m. PST (10:11 a.m. EST). At the time, the spacecraft was 74,896 miles (120,533 kilometers) from the tops of Jupiter’s clouds at 84.9 degrees south latitude.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 2

Waspie_Dwarf

Rose-Colored Jupiter

pia21981.jpg

This image captures a close-up view of a storm with bright cloud tops in the northern hemisphere of Jupiter.                                                             

NASA’s Juno spacecraft took this color-enhanced image on Feb. 7 at 5:38 a.m. PST (8:38 a.m. EST) during its 11th close flyby of the gas giant planet.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf

Ghost in Motion

pia21982.gif

This time-lapse animation of two true-color images taken 12 minutes apart neatly captures storm movement in the southern hemisphere of Jupiter.

NASA’s Juno spacecraft took these images during its tenth close flyby of the gas giant planet on Dec. 16, 2017 at 10:12 a.m. PST (1:12 p.m. EST) and 10:24 a.m. PST (1:24 p.m. EST).

Waspie_Dwarf

Intricate Clouds of Jupiter

pia21984-2000.jpg

See intricate cloud patterns in the northern hemisphere of Jupiter in this new view taken by NASA’s Juno spacecraft.

The color-enhanced image was taken on April 1 at 2:32 a.m. PST (5:32 a.m. EST), as Juno performed its twelfth close flyby of Jupiter.

• Like 1

Merc14
1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Ghost in Motion

It is so enormous it is almost incomprehensible.  Amazing stuff, hail Juno.

Waspie_Dwarf

Jupiter’s Great Red Spot, Spotted

pia21985.jpg

This image of Jupiter’s iconic Great Red Spot and surrounding turbulent zones was captured by NASA’s Juno spacecraft.

The color-enhanced image is a combination of three separate images taken on April 1 between 3:09 a.m. PDT (6:09 a.m. EDT) and 3:24 a.m. PDT (6:24 a.m. EDT), as Juno performed its 12th close flyby of Jupiter.

• Like 1