Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Refugees/Citizens of Muslim Countries Barred

Claire.

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

You know, It's not the idea of increased vetting or preventing people who might be terrorists from coming over that makes me think this whole thing is a joke.  It's the implementation.  Detaining 5yr olds, military interpreters, people with green cards, etc. and disrupting their lives because he couldn't be bothered to give notice before they scheduled their flights.  That's the big joke. 

What's even scarier is what is going to happen with the Obamacare repeal.   Is it going to be a big disaster of a joke like this?  Is Trump going to care less about the people that "temporarily" gets their lives ruined?

I do agree with you on the implementation and it's a valid concern. No heads up, no nothing. There's no reason why those military men should've been detained, for example. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Because it's not a Muslim ban, that's why. 

Right. And you expect us to believe that?

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) said in an interview on Saturday that President Trump had previously asked him about legally implementing a "Muslim ban."

But Giuliani then disputed the notion that the president's sweeping executive order barring refugees and people from seven predominantly Muslim nations amounts to a ban on Muslims.

"I’ll tell you the whole history of it: When he first announced it, he said ‘Muslim ban,'" Giuliani said on Fox News.

"He called me up, he said, ‘Put a commission together, show me the right way to do it legally.’"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316726-giuliani-trump-asked-me-how-to-do-a-muslim-ban-legally

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

She is a jerk:)

Did you really just call Malala that?

• Like 4

They talk about "vetting" immigrants and others.  What exactly does this mean?  I can see testing people for TB and seeing to it those who test positive are either non-infectious or getting treatment.  But how do you test for "terrorist?"

Maybe you interview them and they say, "Yes, my purpose for coming to America is to destroy the Washington Monument."?  Having them fill out a form where they check whether or not they are a terrorist might be more efficient.

One can, of course, check for criminal history, but does a negative prove anything?  Even a positive?  Maybe it improves the chances of keeping out a criminal a little bit, depending on the crime and when it happened and the reliability of the records.  Such searches, by the way, are not cheap and we are talking here about millions of people.

We also need to remember that the US has in its history produced its own share of terrorists and assassins, most of them not Muslims.  It has all the appearance to me of a politician wanting to give the impression of "doing something" when in fact there is nothing to be done.

• Like 4

Is this the same slippery slope people make fun of gun owners about?

• Like 2

It should be said that over forty Muslim countries are not on the temporary ban list. It should be said that the list was made in the Obama administration and that just Syria has a "permanent" ban at this time. It should be said that Christians are persecuted and slaughtered in some Muslim countries so they indeed deserve special status. Keep things in context, especially in this age of "Muslim" terrorism. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I do agree with you on the implementation and it's a valid concern. No heads up, no nothing. There's no reason why those military men should've been detained, for example. 

It was ham-fisted. It was implemented poorly. There was inadequate planning and preparation, from where I sit. It could have been handled better. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Doccy

That is a horrible thing to say about a little girl who was shot in the head for standing up for the rights of children to receive education against the will of ISIS. 

That is downright horrible of you. Honestly, how can you say that about a little girl who went through what she did for basic rights? 

Her family also runs a chain of schools in the region, despite the very real death threats from ISIS which as Malala can attest, are indeed very real. 

LINK - Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai (S.St) (Malālah Yūsafzay: Urdu: ملالہ یوسفزئی‎; Pashto: ملاله یوسفزۍ‎ [məˈlaːlə jusəf ˈzəj];[1] born 12 July 1997)[1][2] is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate.[3] She is known mainly for human rights advocacy for education and for women in her native Swat Valley in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of northwest Pakistan, where the local Taliban had at times banned girls from attending school. Malala's advocacy has since grown into an international movement.

On the afternoon of 9 October 2012, Malala boarded her school bus in the northwest Pakistani district of Swat. A gunman asked for her by name, then pointed a pistol at her and fired three shots. One bullet hit the left side of Malala's forehead, travelled under her skin through the length of her face, and went into her shoulder.[4] In the days immediately following the attack, she remained unconscious and in critical condition, but later her condition improved enough for her to be sent to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, England, for intensive rehabilitation. On 12 October, a group of 50 Muslim clerics in Pakistan issued a fatwā against those who tried to kill her, but the Taliban reiterated their intent to kill Malala and her father, Ziauddin Yousafzai.

Doccy - she is one of the good guys. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

That ridiculous and unwarranted remark concerning this brave young women - says more about you than anything else.

What astounds me even more....is that you even had the audacity to add on a smiley face.  

How pitiful......

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Well congratulations, you're in the same boat as the grubs who shot her - absolutely terrified of a little girl with a school book.

• Like 9

What the ****? Malala, a jerk? Docya, I love ya, but please do some research and reconsider your statement. That little girl is a heroine.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Detaining 5yr olds, military interpreters, people with green cards, etc. and disrupting their lives because he couldn't be bothered to give notice before they scheduled their flights.  That's the big joke. 

tsa, and yes it is a joke, not the brightest or effective bunch,

Edited by aztek

Rather than just making some nasty 'off the cuff' words...then running away.

Maybe Docy would like to elaborate more.... as to why she feels that this good and compassionate young woman deserves to be called such a name. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

They talk about "vetting" immigrants and others.  What exactly does this mean?  I can see testing people for TB and seeing to it those who test positive are either non-infectious or getting treatment.  But how do you test for "terrorist?"

Maybe you interview them and they say, "Yes, my purpose for coming to America is to destroy the Washington Monument."?  Having them fill out a form where they check whether or not they are a terrorist might be more efficient.

One can, of course, check for criminal history, but does a negative prove anything?  Even a positive?  Maybe it improves the chances of keeping out a criminal a little bit, depending on the crime and when it happened and the reliability of the records.  Such searches, by the way, are not cheap and we are talking here about millions of people.

We also need to remember that the US has in its history produced its own share of terrorists and assassins, most of them not Muslims.  It has all the appearance to me of a politician wanting to give the impression of "doing something" when in fact there is nothing to be done.

I would agree Frank, the greatest concern here is that this will just create more fundamentalists. If the good people are treated like bad people, it seems highly likely they will go what the hay, and join them. Seems to be creating a state of "if you cant beat em join em".  If that happens thing will only get worse. France taking a hardline did not seem to benefit them. 

• Like 4

I think she is a jerk, is in reference to being twice the man of Trump. In other words Trump is a jerk times 2. At least that is the way i see the post, even if poorly worded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I think she is a jerk, is in reference to being twice the man of Trump. In other words Trump is a jerk times 2. At least that is the way i see the post, even if poorly worded.

I like your logic but that was an odd way to go about it if so.

• Like 1

she is not a jerk, she is a very brave girl, also very lucky one, to survive head shot, be brought to uk and treated, i'm sure there are may girls like her, they are just not so lucky, to walk away from head shots, unfortunately, as brave as they are they do not make much difference. women were treated like that in Islamic countries since very long ago.

she should not be heartbroken, she should realize, that, at least in theory, is done to prevent people like who shot her to get in usa,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

she is not a jerk, she is a very brave girl, also very lucky one, to survive head shot, be brought to uk and treated, i'm sure there are may girls like her, they are just not so lucky, to walk away from head shots, unfortunately, as brave as they are they do not make much difference. women were treated like that in Islamic countries since very long ago.

she should not be heartbroken, she should realize, that, at least in theory, is done to prevent people like who shot her to get in usa,

It is likely she understands well enough and has made her thought clear.

Thank you but she probably does not need your help to realize this only hurts families, women, and children.

Which is how ISIS and the Taliban want it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, aztek said:

tsa, and yes it is a joke, not the brightest or effective bunch,

It would be understandable if it were the TSA, but unfortunately it isn't.  It's the whole  Dept. of Homeland Security.

Edited by Gromdor

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Is this the same slippery slope people make fun of gun owners about?

donald_trump_meme_terrorism.jpg

• Like 5

"The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don't kid yourself. When they say they don't care about their lives, you have to take out their families," Trump said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/politics/donald-trump-terrorists-families/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

donald_trump_meme_terrorism.jpg

So we can agree both premises are flawed.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Michelle said:

So we can agree both premises are flawed.

Not quite but let us save it for another thread. 

Just happy to hear you might agree that "banning Muslims" is flawed.

Edited by Avatar Samantha Ai
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

Just happy to hear you might agree that "banning Muslims" is flawed.

If you have children, you'd kinda vet who they dated or wanted to marry too. Not very different than what should be applied to potential, incoming new citizens.

My surrogate family are Arabs, if that helps alleviate your suspicions, by the way. That's a well known fact around here.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked