Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New form of matter, time crystals,confirmed

aka CAT

Scientists have confirmed a brand new form of matter: time crystals

Perpetual motion without energy.

FIONA MACDONALD
28 JAN 2017

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-just-announced-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals

For months now, there's been speculation that researchers might have finally created time crystals - strange crystals that have an atomic structure that repeats not just in space, but in time, putting them in perpetual motion without energy.

Now it's official - researchers have just reported in detail how to make and measure these bizarre crystals. And two independent teams of scientists claim they've actually created time crystals in the lab based off this blueprint, confirming the existence of an entirely new form of matter.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Recent discoveries together with my peculiar interest in time travel, has my imagination going wild right now especially in view of how it relates to my aforementioned research of zero point energy, e.g.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

Meh, time crystals have too much trans-fat.  I'm out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorvir said:

Meh, time crystals have too much trans-fat.  I'm out.

There are two things about time crystals that you might appreciate either directly or indirectly.  

They might improve time keeping, e.g. in satellite technology,

and they will certainly change quantum computing in ways, well, staggering, e.g.

___________________________________________________________________________________

[...] of important consequences. First up is the possibility that [the formation of time crystals] provides a mechanism for measuring time, since the periodic behaviour is like a pendulum. “The spontaneous formation of a time crystal represents the spontaneous emergence of a clock,” says Wilczek. 

Another is the possibility that it may be possible to exploit time crystals to perform computations using zero energy. As Wilczek puts it, “it is interesting to speculate that a…quantum mechanical system whose states could be interpreted as a collection of qubits, could be engineered to traverse a programmed landscape of structured states in Hilbert space over time.”

Altogether this is a simple argument. But simplicity is often  deceptively powerful. Of course, there will be disputes over some of the issues this raises. One of them is that the motion that breaks time symmetry seems a little puzzling. Wilczek and Shapere acknowledge this: “Speaking broadly speaking, what we’re looking for looks perilously close to perpetual motion.”

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/426917/physicists-predict-the-existence-of-time-crystals/

__________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

Perpetual motion, in deed.  Excellent as are both of the articles posted above by XenoFish, I especially like how Popular Mechanics describes how time crystals' very creation keeps them out of equilibrium,

"[...]meaning that the crystals perpetually remain in motion, though they don't contain any energy. Almost all of physics is based in studying matter that is at equilibrium, so the ability to create these non-equilibrium crystals is a huge deal for the future of physics.

"This is a new phase of matter, period, but it is also really cool because it is one of the first examples of non-equilibrium matter," lead researcher Norman Yao from the University of California, Berkeley told EurekaAlert!.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, aka CAT said:

FIONA MACDONALD
28 JAN 2017

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-just-announced-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals

For months now, there's been speculation that researchers might have finally created time crystals - strange crystals that have an atomic structure that repeats not just in space, but in time, putting them in perpetual motion without energy.

Now it's official - researchers have just reported in detail how to make and measure these bizarre crystals. And two independent teams of scientists claim they've actually created time crystals in the lab based off this blueprint, confirming the existence of an entirely new form of matter.

Too cool! Another Eureka moment for science :)

• Like 2

Its not "perpetual motion", nor is it motion or energy that can be extracted.

In fact, they amended the headline of that article to state that it's "constant motion", not perpetual motion.

• Like 3

I notice this state of matter is man made. Does it exist in nature? If so why so?

• Like 3

On February 6, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Emma_Acid said:

Its not "perpetual motion", nor is it motion or energy that can be extracted.

In fact, they amended the headline of that article to state that it's "constant motion", not perpetual motion.

Thank you.

On February 6, 2017 at 5:11 AM, taniwha said:

I notice this state of matter is man made. Does it exist in nature? If so why so?

The manmade time crystals were heralded as the world's first*, whereas a Phil Richerme is quoted as saying, 

“Observation of the discrete time crystal… confirms that symmetry breaking can occur in essentially all natural realms [...]"

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/scientists-unveil-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals/

Physicists just created the world's first time crystal - ScienceAlert

www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-created-the-worl...Proxy  Highlight

Oct 7, 2016 ... Physicists Just Created the World's First Time Crystal ... and a south end

means it won't look the same on both ends - its naturally asymmetrical. ... But it does

demonstrate that time crystals can occur in a real, physical system, ...

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the most profound predictions in theoretical physics, such as Einstein's gravitational waves or Higgs' boson, have taken decades to prove with experiments. But every now and then, a prediction can become established fact in an astonishingly short time. This is what happened with "time crystals", a new and strange state of matter that was theorised, disproved, revamped and finally created in just five years since it was first predicted in 2012.

Crystals, such as diamond and quartz, are made of atoms arranged in a repeating pattern in space. In these new crystals, atoms also follow a repeating pattern, but in time. Because of this weird property, time crystals could one day find applications in revolutionary technologies such as quantum computing.

The story of time crystals begins in 2012 with Nobel Prize winner Frank Wilczek from MIT. As a theoretical physicist and a mathematician, Wilczek made a crucial step in transferring a key property of regular crystals – called symmetry breaking – to create the idea of time crystals.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-02-crystalshow-scientists-state.html#jCp

• Like 2

Huh, great reads. Never heard of this before.

Much of the science and mathematics is way above my head, but I can nonetheless see how this is potentially useful for the material sciences people.

Nice find.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Time Crystals Created, Suspending Laws of Physics

A bizarre new state of matter known as a time crystal seems to suspend the laws of thermodynamics almost indefinitely, two new experiments suggest.

The time crystal is essentially a collection of atoms or ions that are far apart but still interacting with each other. This form of matter keeps "ticking" indefinitely at a certain frequency, without heating up or creating entropy, the natural state of disorder that always increases in the universe. Time crystals work because of quantum effects, or the bizarre rules describing the menagerie of tiny subatomic particles.

The newly created matter joins a host of other exotic states of matter, such as superconductors, quantum-spin liquids and superfluids.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 5

• The title was changed to [Merged]New form of matter, time crystals,confirmed

I wonder if this could lead to 'Zero Point Energy Crystals' as used in Stargate Atlantis

Edited by EBE Hybrid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Can someone please tell me what exactly "repeating in time" looks like?

I got to admit it is sensationally vague.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Claire. said:

Time crystals work because of quantum effects, or the bizarre rules describing the menagerie of tiny subatomic particles.

quantum-spin liquids and superfluids.

Esp. with opposite extremes in temperature, solids become liquids and liquids becoming solids, that ! --- with the action effects in the Quantum Realm/World (((I'd say Quantum Chaos because a lot is still theory/unknown) who knows what we'll find, its very exciting!

Repeating in time ? HA! yeah interestingly vague LIKE QUANTUM EFFECTS ! its here, no its there, well unless you look HA!, #@$( I wouldn't be surprised, the more one reads how they don't know anything and are just guessing on superpositions regarding the cause(string theory might be out by now) or even why, well I wouldn't be surprised by anything now especially with quantum computers now coming online so to speak or out in the world.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

I wonder if this could lead to 'Zero Point Energy Crystals' as used in Stargate Atlantis

I wonder what are the latest developments. 

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:54 AM, aka CAT said:

FIONA MACDONALD
28 JAN 2017

I haven't read the article.

Is this matter in quantum entanglement with its past and future self so that a change that happens to it now also materialises in the past and future? If so then surely messages could be sent into the past or future using this stuff.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

Those could be drained of charge.  It sounds like these particles are the "Timex" ;They take a beating and keep on ticking.  It also sounds alike we need to rewrite some of the laws of physics.  First the EM Drive now this. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I haven't read the article.

Is this matter in quantum entanglement with its past and future self so that a change that happens to it now also materialises in the past and future? If so then surely messages could be sent into the past or future using this stuff.

Maybe messages don't need to be sent into the past or future,  maybe they just simultaneously exist there already?

11 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Maybe messages don't need to be sent into the past or future,  maybe they just simultaneously exist there already?

I have done some looking around.

Imagine a line of atoms where every 5th one is entangled with each other. You start a wave off going down the line and all the entangled ones move up and down together messing up that wave as it goes down the line. And causing never ending oscillations because no equilibrium can be established. Thats a time crystal.

And yes you could send messages forwards or backwards in time using them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I have done some looking around.

Imagine a line of atoms where every 5th one is entangled with each other. You start a wave off going down the line and all the entangled ones move up and down together messing up that wave as it goes down the line. And causing never ending oscillations because no equilibrium can be established. Thats a time crystal.

And yes you could send messages forwards or backwards in time using them.

Well that's interesting, considering there is no way to prove that.

Edited by taniwha
  • Like 2

I have no idea why I am thinking about this or even why I am posting this comment except that I am completely intrigued by this idea. What would happen to me if I poured water into that wine glass filled with this stuff and I drank it? Would my body somehow or other take on the properties of a time crystal?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

Well that's interesting, considering there is no way to prove that.

Of course there is as the wave going along a line of atoms cannot violate lightspeed, but the entanglement can.