Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 million sign petition to stop Trump UK visit

seeder

In the UK......if 100 thousand signatures are collected on a petition form.....then the issue, and any issue with the same amount of signatures, must then be debated by the Govt

So, it seems over a million signatures have now been collected to prevent Trump visiting the UK. Idiotic I say...... and I would never sign something like that...

Trump executive order: Million sign petition to stop UK visit

More than 1.3 million people have signed a petition urging the government to call off President Donald Trump's state visit to the UK, amid a row over his recent immigration measures.

Downing Street, however, said Theresa May was looking forward to the visit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38795998

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

In the UK......if 100 thousand signatures are collected on a petition form.....then the issue, and any issue with the same amount of signatures, must then be debated by the Govt

So, it seems over a million signatures have now been collected to prevent Trump visiting the UK. Idiotic I say...... and I would never sign something like that...

Its all to easy to sign these online petitions, I wonder how many are as a result of people getting caught up in the social media circus.

Remember the old days of putting a petition together? you had to wear out your shoe leather going door to door looking for enough sympathisers or standing on the high street in all weathers drumming up enough support.

Oh well, at least it helps the Security Service. I mean in the old days when petitions got handed into Number 10 they'd be recorded by the security service and signatories  details added to a data base of possible trouble causes to the state. Now with the digital version it can be automated saving both time and money compiling. I guess every cloud has a silver lining.

• Like 7

as I posted on one of the other Trump threads

Obama and his five presidential predecessors all used their executive powers to temporarily ban certain immigrants, including Muslims from entering the United States.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Its all to easy to sign these online petitions, I wonder how many are as a result of people getting caught up in the social media circus.

Remember the old days of putting a petition together? you had to wear out your shoe leather going door to door looking for enough sympathisers or standing on the high street in all weathers drumming up enough support.

Oh well, at least it helps the Security Service. I mean in the old days when petitions got handed into Number 10 they'd be recorded by the security service and signatories  details added to a data base of possible trouble causes to the state. Now with the digital version it can be automated saving both time and money compiling. I guess every cloud has a silver lining.

So you're complaining that there arent enough obstacles to democracy and applauding governmental monitoring of those who participate in said democracy? .....alrighty then 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

So you're complaining that there arent enough obstacles to democracy and applauding governmental monitoring of those who participate in said democracy? .....alrighty then 

#Democracy don't make me laugh.

Its the circus of it all, the media go into melt down over these online petitions. look a million people signed a petition whoopty ****ing do. a petition that took no effort whatsoever. Its not representative of the UK populace. Yes lets ban The President of the United States visiting the UK, meanwhile welcome the King of Saudi Arabia and other shady leaders.

Here sign a few.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions?q=trump&state=open

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Exactly.  When I was active on face-book Id occasionally get sent a link to a petition to sign, but never bothered as the issues were things that didnt bother me or my lifestyle

Sometimes..... I fantasize going to one of these anti Trump marches, with a megaphone and a soapbox to stand on.... and to take on my fellow Brits with  rational and factual discussion.

Alas thats just a fantasy of course

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

what does democracy have to do with Brits signing a petition...... about some fella who got a new job in the USA?

• Like 3

Just now, seeder said:

what does democracy have to do with Brits signing a petition...... about some fella who got a new job in the USA?

And remember... it WAS DEMOCRACY..... that got him elected

• Like 4

Just now, seeder said:

Idk having a law that says if a million of your citizens sign a petition then the gov has to debate it seems awfully democratic to me. Complaining about ease of access to the government seems short sighted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

With an online petition you can sign it at home, work or while waiting on the dentist.  Different IP will allow that.  So how many are duplicate signatures. 

Indeed. It could also be heavily influenced by UK muslims voting too....funny enough we have about 3 million muslims in the UK

Nowhere will it state that all those signatures were by white english nationals

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

Just now, seeder said:

And remember... it WAS DEMOCRACY..... that got him elected

Actually it was a democratic republic that got him elected. If it were a pure democracy we would have president hillary (shivers). 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

Exactly.  When I was active on face-book Id occasionally get sent a link to a petition to sign, but never bothered as the issues were things that didnt bother me or my lifestyle

Sometimes..... I fantasize going to one of these anti Trump marches, with a megaphone and a soapbox to stand on.... and to take on my fellow Brits with  rational and factual discussion.

Alas thats just a fantasy of course

If the anti Trumpers are like they are here you will be too sensible for them and just get beat up. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Idk having a law that says if a million of your citizens sign a petition then the gov has to debate it seems awfully democratic to me. Complaining about ease of access to the government seems short sighted. 

Let me explain, These petitions Do not have to be debated. only considered. And if they are chosen most of the debates are in side chambers with a few MP's debating.

There was a Trump petition in 2015 about banning him from the UK. it got debated and 6, that's right six MP's turned up to debate it, nothing happened.

Now Trump is President the same is happening again, The BBC News and Sky (fox) News are in melt down over Trump, they cannot decide if they hate Brexit or Trump worse. - they want the UK's relationship with the USA to breakdown. Its a complete joke what's going on. They want the UK to treat America like some despot country. the media are pushing the agenda hard.

• Like 8

• The title was changed to 1 million sign petition to stop Trump UK visit
27 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

With an online petition you can sign it at home, work or while waiting on the dentist.  Different IP will allow that.  So how many are duplicate signatures. 

Probably as many or at least comparably so to multiple Democrat voters in the POTUS elections here in the states.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Let me explain, These petitions Do not have to be debated. only considered. And if they are chosen most of the debates are in side chambers with a few MP's debating.

There was a Trump petition in 2015 about banning him from the UK. it got debated and 6, that's right six MP's turned up to debate it, nothing happened.

Now Trump is President the same is happening again, The BBC News and Sky (fox) News are in melt down over Trump, they cannot decide if they hate Brexit or Trump worse. - they want the UK's relationship with the USA to breakdown. Its a complete joke what's going on. They want the UK to treat America like some despot country. the media are pushing the agenda hard.

Thanks for the info. I wont pretend to even have the tiniest grasp on your nations' political landscape. 

Aye.. petitions work...

A petition signed more than 450,000 people calling for Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith to live off £53 a week will be delivered to his office today......  http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-04-08/nearly-half-a-million-sign-iain-duncan-smith-petition/

lol

btw... Did you know that reports of Rape in England and Wales have risen by over 100% in the last five years?   https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/13/reported-rapes-in-england-and-wales-double-in-five-years

Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour.  http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Shocking, is it not.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Aye.. petitions work...

A petition signed more than 450,000 people calling for Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith to live off £53 a week will be delivered to his office today......  http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-04-08/nearly-half-a-million-sign-iain-duncan-smith-petition/

lol

Some petitions work.  Usually serious ones that have substance and highlight actual, real grievances.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Thanks for the info. I wont pretend to even have the tiniest grasp on your nations' political landscape. 

There is so much hype caused this will end up in Parliament. The media are pushing it making mountains out of mole hills. and stupidly our Government feel the need to rise to it. - The UK government should say the US is a first class democracy any matters are for the American politicians to debate. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

There is so much hype caused this will end up in Parliament. The media are pushing it making mountains out of mole hills. and stupidly our Government feel the need to rise to it. - The UK government should say the US is a first class democracy any matters are for the American politicians to debate. 

Some of our most esteemed universities dont agree with your assessment of our government. Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens 

I think the recent executive memo banning elected officials from becoming lobbyists is a great example of the concern some of us have for our nation at this time. In theory its great , it will help alleviate the problems listed in the link above for sure. I was feeling all warm and fuzzy until i came across this gem : The order also states that Trump, or his designee, may also grant “to any person a waiver of any of restrictions contained in the pledge.” Thats what dictators do. 

Im afraid America has slid into an oligarchy and is in pretty deep trouble. Now the reality is we have been for a long long time so its not as if Trump is the sole reason for my concern. He however does embody pretty much all of those concerns in a not so nice orange package. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Yes lets ban The President of the United States visiting the UK, meanwhile welcome the King of Saudi Arabia and other shady leaders.

I was just about to post the same thing.

Take a look at the list of state visits in recent years:

List of state visits received by Queen Elizabeth II

Where were these snowflakes when countries living under abhorrent Sharia laws had state visits - countries with atrocious human rights records? Countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar and United Arab Emirates?

Trump's become a pariah for all these people, who live their lives through social media, and have no concept of some of the harsh realities of life. If they keep this up, they'll probably learn the hard way in the coming years.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Thorvir said:

Some petitions work.  Usually serious ones that have substance and highlight actual, real grievances.

Are you familiar with the work of the UK DWP and Atos Health Care?  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

Duncan-Smith is a hated man in Britain.  He's a cowardly toe-rag.

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/atos-maximus-and-capita-forced-to-admit-assessment-failures/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Back on topic (sorry).

As a Briton I believe a great deal of those nice folks signing the Trump petition are doing so in order to be In The Gang.  Stevewinn sussed it, same as myself.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I was just about to post the same thing.

Take a look at the list of state visits in recent years:

List of state visits received by Queen Elizabeth II

Where were these snowflakes when countries living under abhorrent Sharia laws had state visits - countries with atrocious human rights records? Countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar and United Arab Emirates?

Trump's become a pariah for all these people, who live their lives through social media, and have no concept of some of the harsh realities of life. If they keep this up, they'll probably learn the hard way in the coming years.

I think the difference is that on a certain level, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the American empire pretty much rules the globe. Whereas Prince Whogivesashit from Idocamelstan has zero potential control over anything beyond his tiny corner of the globe.