Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 million sign petition to stop Trump UK visit

seeder

Just now, Thorvir said:

Someone should start a counter-petition to reinforce the fact that the actual majority of UKers aren't against Trump visiting.  

They did and it has over a million signatures now too 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

They did and it has over a million signatures now too 

The anti-Trump petition is up to 1.7 million signatures now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acute said:

The anti-Trump petition is up to 1.7 million signatures now.

Makes no odds really. The only part of raising the petition is to get ministers to debate it.

Nowhere is it written that X amount of signatures will result in a ban

When the UK was hit with a new household tax years and years ago..... millions of people up and down the UK filled the streets and rioted..... shops, cars and businesses burned and there were battles with the Police

ALL THOSE FURIOUS BRITS..... rioting, burning stuff down....... got absolutely nowhere. The tax was just renamed to council tax and now everyone pays it

So, a debate will take place, thats all. Yet people forget that...... they seem to think if they make enough noise it will result in an automatic ban for Trump.... but thats simply not so

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

It really hasn't...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

Place value, people. That's 100,000 not 1,000,000

You are correct im not sure where I came up with a million 

1 hour ago, Thorvir said:

Someone should start a counter-petition to reinforce the fact that the actual majority of UKers aren't against Trump visiting.  Or a petition that bars internet petitions. :) 

There were two that i know of, but they have closed one and only kept the current one = I understand them only allowing one petition at a time, my only issue is the one which they have kept mentions "   U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that  people that appose our point of view should be gagged. "   our point of view in this country is divided, and I do not think he would oppose my point of view. BUT people who oppose our way of life, laws and western culture SHOULD be stopped coming here.

I OPPOSE this petition  

We ask the Prime Minister to condemn President Trump's orders banning citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Somalia from entering the USA and preventing Muslim refugees from travelling to the USA. We also ask that the UK accepts all those turned away by the USA during this crisis.

219 signatures

WE???? who the heck are WE? certainly not ME! 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, freetoroam said:

On the news last night one of the anti Trump crowd said "its not what the people of Britain want " EXCUSE ME but who gave her the right to speak on behalf of the rest of us? 

This is the problem with so many of these lefty supremists...they think we all agree with them and they have no idea what the rest of the country is saying because they do not care!

Had lunch with two friends last week and  they assumed that I was right with them on their politics.  One got into her "hysteria" on President Trump and what he's doing.  She thinks it's unbelievable.

I stayed silent, because I've learned in NYC that it will just become an absurd fight that I wasn't about to participate in.  They are so convinced that they are right and you are wrong, that it's almost like a sickness.  She even went so far as to point out that those for President Trump are uneducated.  Another absurd idea. 

I do believe that the media has a lot to do with these dishonest ideas along with "organizers" such as Soros who have their own nefarious agendas.  

Personally, I am sick and tired of it all.  President Trump is trying to protect the American people and he's done nothing illegal or different than what any good ruler would do during war.  And like it or not, we are at war.  What did they think happened on 9/11/2001?  Did they think we were invited to a party?  No, we were attacked by the epitome of evil as were all the others who have been attacked since.   When people realize this, then perhaps they will begin to understand the severity of our circumstances.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MJNYC said:

Personally, I am sick and tired of it all.  President Trump is trying to protect the American people and he's done nothing illegal or different than what any good ruler would do during war.  And like it or not, we are at war.  What did they think happened on 9/11/2001?  Did they think we were invited to a party?  No, we were attacked by the epitome of evil as were all the others who have been attacked since.   When people realize this, then perhaps they will begin to understand the severity of our circumstances.  

Ya know all of this would be much pallatable if Trump had included the nations which brought us 9/11 in this ban. 

54 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You are correct im not sure where I came up with a million 

Just gave me flashbacks to my teaching days... 

Except here I can get away with just shouting 'It's in a different column for ****'s sake!!' :D

38 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

There were two that i know of, but they have closed one and only kept the current one = I understand them only allowing one petition at a time, my only issue is the one which they have kept mentions "   U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that  people that appose our point of view should be gagged. "   our point of view in this country is divided, and I do not think he would oppose my point of view. BUT people who oppose our way of life, laws and western culture SHOULD be stopped coming here.

My biggest issue with it is the spelling of 'oppose'.... Again, teacher head on.

I OPPOSE this petition  

We ask the Prime Minister to condemn President Trump's orders banning citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Somalia from entering the USA and preventing Muslim refugees from travelling to the USA. We also ask that the UK accepts all those turned away by the USA during this crisis.

219 signatures

The 'we' is the people who signed it. That's pretty standard for a petition.

I do disagree with Trump's travel ban. I don't think it will have the desired effect. But I wouldn't sign this petition for that last line. Sure it sounds nice to say the UK will accept all those turned away by the US but it's not practical. We can't commit to accepting an unspecified number of refugees in an unspecified timeframe. The logistics alone are unworkable.

ETA: It seems to be a common thing in these petitions to try to slip something else you know will be less popular in with one big statement. Probably why so few signed this one. If it just said the first part, I bet it would be a few more.

Edited by Setton
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Ya know all of this would be much pallatable if Trump had included the nations which brought us 9/11 in this ban. 

Totally understand.  I don't trust them at all and they sicken me with their medieval laws regarding women.  I wonder though what the liberals would have done then?  They would scream "muslim ban", which they are doing now even though the "temporary ban" doesn't include all muslim countries.  

I never said President Trump was perfect and I'm concerned about animal protection laws, but I still support him in what he's trying to do.  At least he's trying.  A lot more than what the last 8 years produced.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Edited by MJNYC
post was submitted twice somehow

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

I OPPOSE this petition  

219 signatures

So basically this petition is the UK's death warrant.  

• Like 4

On 30/01/2017 at 5:03 PM, seeder said:

In the UK......if 100 thousand signatures are collected on a petition form.....then the issue, and any issue with the same amount of signatures, must then be debated by the Govt

That's not true. I don't recall Parliament holding an emergency session when an online petition to make Jeremy Clarkson Prime Minister received over a million "signatures".

• Like 3

By the way, where were these hypocritical lefties - which now include Gary Lineker and Lily Allen amongst their ranks - when Obama banned people from Iraq entering the USA?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

That's not true. I don't recall Parliament holding an emergency session when an online petition to make Jeremy Clarkson Prime Minister received over a million "signatures".

Perhaps I shouldnt have said MUST without checking

Petitions which reach 100,000 signatures are almost always debated. But we may decide not to put a petition forward for debate if the issue has already been debated recently or there’s a debate scheduled for the near future. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you how you can find out more about parliamentary debates on the issue raised by your petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/help

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

By the way, where were these hypocritical lefties - which now include Gary Lineker and Lily Allen amongst their ranks - when Obama banned people from Iraq entering the USA?

Lilly Allen gets me so mad I almost joined Twitter so I could say a few things to her. I mean who the hell does she think she is?

She had one or two charting songs...... where she doesnt actually sing but rather tunefully talks through them. and then she made a public idiot of herself saying Britain is hated because of slavery!!!   She is young girl desperate for media attention....

'Go and read a history book!': Lily Allen faces backlash after responding to May's Brexit plan by tweeting that the world hates Britain because of 'slavery'

Singer was commenting on Theresa May's announcement on the plans for Brexit
    She said: 'Global Britain could b good, but world still hates us cause, SLAVERY'
    But she deleted the tweet, after followers told her to 'go and read a history book'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4128122/Lilly-Allen-faces-backlash-slavery-tweet.html#ixzz4XMs9LAjk

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, seeder said:

Lilly Allen gets me so mad I almost joined Twitter so I could say a few things to her. I mean who the hell does she think she is?

She had one or two charting songs...... where she doesnt actually sing but rather tunefully talks through them. and then she made a public idiot of herself saying Britain is hated because of slavery!!!   She is young girl desperate for media attention....

lol about almost joining Twitter to say a few things to her ---

It's like a cult that people like her and Gary Lineker are in and they go around all self righteous feeling
very pleased with themselves - :rolleyes:

Just looked up her age and she's 31 but seems like a young girl -- 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJNYC said:

Had lunch with two friends last week and  they assumed that I was right with them on their politics.  One got into her "hysteria" on President Trump and what he's doing.  She thinks it's unbelievable.

I stayed silent, because I've learned in NYC that it will just become an absurd fight that I wasn't about to participate in.  They are so convinced that they are right and you are wrong, that it's almost like a sickness.  She even went so far as to point out that those for President Trump are uneducated.  Another absurd idea. 

I do believe that the media has a lot to do with these dishonest ideas along with "organizers" such as Soros who have their own nefarious agendas.  

re the bolded --- it IS like a sickness - like they have been thoroughly brainwashed by the Mind Control Media and Social Media -
mobilized to become like a civilian 'proxy' army for the Political Elite who suffered defeat when Trump won the election - 

They are so convinced of their own moral superiority that they can't see the hypocrisy and disconnect they display
when it comes to Trump --- you get the feeling that these people waving placards about Love would literally rip
Trump limb from limb if they could get their hands on him --- or string him up on the nearest tree - :wacko: 

• Like 5

well I've 'signed' the one supporting Donald Trump coming for the State Visit ---

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

166,173 is the total when I just looked -

both the for and against petitions are going to run for 6 months it says - 

it's quite interesting looking at the interactive maps that tell you the totals for different areas and places -

• Like 5

Actually, Trump should be jailed in the US.A more dangerous lunatic has not been a public figure since 1930s Europe.

16 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Actually, Trump should be jailed in the US.A more dangerous lunatic has not been a public figure since 1930s Europe.

What makes you say that?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Trump is a monster, he should not be released outside US borders.

:wacko:

20 minutes ago, alibongo said:

And what can you show us to provide any sort of support for such asinine claims?  Or is whinging and lying just a fun hobby for you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alibongo said:

Trump is a monster, he should not be released outside US borders.

I see you are in the UK...like me....a UK fella

So,, tell me why any Brit should think that way about someone who doesnt concern us UK folks?

Did you get that attitude from social media and hype without thinking it thru?

Or is there something I....a person I consider as having my finger on the pulse.....yes thats ME....... well, is there something Im not getting the memo about?

Kindly list your reasons and opinions as a bullet point style list?

• Like 1

On 30 January 2017 at 7:32 PM, seeder said:

Plus lets not forget hacktivists groups like Anonymous who no doubt have their 'ways' to fake any mass votes

My message to UK anti Trumpers...

READ FACTS!   And even then...remember this has NOTHING to do with us in the UK..... so shut up, go home, and stop making a fool of yourselves, I as a fellow Brit, am ashamed of you

Here here

• Like 2