Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 million sign petition to stop Trump UK visit

seeder

On 30 January 2017 at 8:33 PM, freetoroam said:

Well it started today and is now over the 10,000 mark. 

Come on people, lets get Uncle Don over.  We want out of the EU and we want to be in a powerful position to trade with the US, the last thing we want to do is keep them out! 

Just signed it. Won't be many signatures though because he's coming anyway 

• Like 2

Does anyone really think this petition is going to get the UK government to stop Trump from going to the UK.  I really doubt it, we have been too close of allies for too long.  We are connected at the hip.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MJNYC said:

Totally understand.  I don't trust them at all and they sicken me with their medieval laws regarding women.  I wonder though what the liberals would have done then?  They would scream "muslim ban", which they are doing now even though the "temporary ban" doesn't include all muslim countries.  

I never said President Trump was perfect and I'm concerned about animal protection laws, but I still support him in what he's trying to do.  At least he's trying.  A lot more than what the last 8 years produced.

I think he is trying more than most presidents in the last 4 or 5 decades. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, freetoroam said:

There were two that i know of, but they have closed one and only kept the current one = I understand them only allowing one petition at a time, my only issue is the one which they have kept mentions "   U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that  people that appose our point of view should be gagged. "   our point of view in this country is divided, and I do not think he would oppose my point of view. BUT people who oppose our way of life, laws and western culture SHOULD be stopped coming here.

I OPPOSE this petition  

We ask the Prime Minister to condemn President Trump's orders banning citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Somalia from entering the USA and preventing Muslim refugees from travelling to the USA. We also ask that the UK accepts all those turned away by the USA during this crisis.

219 signatures

WE???? who the heck are WE? certainly not ME! 

Or me!

Someone should start a petition to ban these ridiculous petitions?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bee said:

well I've 'signed' the one supporting Donald Trump coming for the State Visit ---

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

166,173 is the total when I just looked -

both the for and against petitions are going to run for 6 months it says - 

it's quite interesting looking at the interactive maps that tell you the totals for different areas and places -

Its now at 187 thou' Which is great.. In a Rick Mayal voice 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thorvir said:

:wacko:

And what can you show us to provide any sort of support for such asinine claims?  Or is whinging and lying just a fun hobby for you?

I know it is difficult to balance our home interests with international needs. I loath us having to pay out on the NHS to health tourists:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4176406/Meet-Nigerian-cost-500-000-IVF-triplets.html

Stronger borders may be the answer.

Maybe the Donald has the answer!

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ashotep said:

Does anyone really think this petition is going to get the UK government to stop Trump from going to the UK.  I really doubt it, we have been too close of allies for too long.  We are connected at the hip.

the government won't capitulate - and the State Visit will go ahead as planned (IMO)

the proxy civilian army for the defeated Political Elite ... protesters have lost all capacity for logic and reason
and are already mobilizing for a massive march for when it happens - they are going to be such an embarrassment - :hmm:

never mind that Trump has pulled the brakes on the widely hated TPP and TTIP trade agreements and is going to 
work towards getting medicine and drug prices reduced -- something they should be supporting him for --- to name two things -

but oh no --- they have become obsessed with demonizing him and can't change tack for fear of the ostracism that
would follow -- in my eyes they are being shamelessly manipulated by a clever Psychological  Operation orchestrated
by '''''someone(s)'''' pulling the strings of and using the MSM and Social Media -- 

we are seeing how  normally sane, intelligent people can be turned into a hate filled mob incapable of taking a step back
to honestly assess a situation - 

If Clinton had won we would have been well on the way to war with Russia that could have turned VERY nasty and
even destabilized the Western World -- 

never mind all the '''we the people are greater than fear''' slogan they use --- they would have found out what real fear was -

sorry - my post turned into a mini rant --- :D --- 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, bee said:

never mind that Trump has pulled the brakes on the widely hated TPP and TTIP trade agreements and is going to 
work towards getting medicine and drug prices reduced -- something they should be supporting him for --- to name two things -

I do agree that would be a much needed positive BUT and there seems to always be a BUT the way he intends to do it we do have to be careful to ensure that this isnt more corporate welfare at the expense of the American people's health. 

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I do agree that would be a much needed positive BUT and there seems to always be a BUT the way he intends to do it we do have to be careful to ensure that this isnt more corporate welfare at the expense of the American people's health. 

you really are a 'glass half empty' kind of guy aren't you - - ;)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bee said:

.you really are a 'glass half empty' kind of guy aren't you - - ;)

Actually Bee, I think he's more the latter... and rightly so. :)

aGUFkm6.jpg?1

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bee said:

you really are a 'glass half empty' kind of guy aren't you - - ;)

Weirdly its only in this one arena.

Otherwise i am one of the most positive people you'll ever meet. In my career, and with my health issues I have to be. 

When it comes to politics and national policy however I have seen too much , and the facts show the US is very sadly now an oligarchy.  

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Actually Bee, I think he's more the latter... and rightly so. :)

aGUFkm6.jpg?1

:clap::lol: Oh my god Claire you nailed it! 

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Weirdly its only in this one arena.

Otherwise i am one of the most positive people you'll ever meet. In my career, and with my health issues I have to be. Heck I even have an entire sleeve tattooed with quotes from everyone folks like Buddha, Gandhii and Marley among others as a reminder to stay positive. 

When it comes to politics and national policy however I have seen too much , and the facts show the US is very sadly now an oligarchy.  

we are all pretty jaded when it comes to politics because of the way it has been for a while ---

but don't let that prejudice you against a development that could be good for you and your country (and the world)

resist pointless resistance !! 

Now ---- let's have a sing song with new words to this -

'''All we are saaaaaying is give Trump a Chance''' - c'mon you know you can do it - just for me... :lol:.....:innocent:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Setton said:

Just gave me flashbacks to my teaching days... 

Except here I can get away with just shouting 'It's in a different column for ****'s sake!!' :D

My biggest issue with it is the spelling of 'oppose'.... Again, teacher head on.

The 'we' is the people who signed it. That's pretty standard for a petition.

I do disagree with Trump's travel ban. I don't think it will have the desired effect. But I wouldn't sign this petition for that last line. Sure it sounds nice to say the UK will accept all those turned away by the US but it's not practical. We can't commit to accepting an unspecified number of refugees in an unspecified timeframe. The logistics alone are unworkable.

ETA: It seems to be a common thing in these petitions to try to slip something else you know will be less popular in with one big statement. Probably why so few signed this one. If it just said the first part, I bet it would be a few more.

I am not against a travel ban, but i do think this may have taken it a step too far with some people.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this "vetting" of people from countries which breed radical islamics, should have been done years ago.  So I hope Trump is doing what the past  governments did not - stop those who are on their system, or any one with a criminal record (even it is for stealing some cotton) to stop coming into a western country.

the authorities knew and know about many of them and have allowed them to travel to our countries.  they put us all in danger. 

To the bold, yes, it seems so, I have signed the petition, but would have preferred to sign the one which was closed, but this is the only one we can sign, as it is the only one they will allow. I would love Trump to come over, we have to made trade deals with someone and they do better oranges than Spain.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, bee said:

we are all pretty jaded when it comes to politics because of the way it has been for a while ---

but don't let that prejudice you against a development that could be good for you and your country (and the world)

resist pointless resistance !! 

Now ---- let's have a sing song with new words to this -

'''All we are saaaaaying is give Trump a Chance''' - c'mon you know you can do it - just for me... :lol:.....:innocent:

HAHA I definitely appreciate the sentiment but vigilance is whats required by the founding fathers right? In the case of the drug manufacturers I see the chance for some serious harm to befall the american population if this isnt handled correctly. 

Just conversely I do think the right wing should have spent the last 8 years raising the same kind of hell the left is now. For me its about the good of the nation not party affiliation. 

Edited by Farmer77

12 hours ago, alibongo said:

Trump is a monster, he should not be released outside US borders.

there are many monsters who should never have been released, but the  lefty supremacists insist we allow ALL to travel ,  surely we can not discriminate against him because he is American "monster ? ?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

Just now, Farmer77 said:

For me its about the good of the nation not party affiliation. 

Then you have something in common with your President - :) 

and I hope you are pleased you are not now heading for a war with Russia -
I certainly am and thank Trump and his voters for that ---  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bee said:

Then you have something in common with your President - :) 

and I hope you are pleased you are not now heading for a war with Russia -
I certainly am and thank Trump and his voters for that ---  

Im nowhere near convinced of that fact. The last two presidents alone should have taught us all that the lip service doesnt necessarily equate the truth. We had Bush claiming conservativism and protectionism , then we had Obama claiming to be the peace president and of course Hope and Change and we see how those two turned out. 

I personally believe the president has much less say over national direction than commonly believed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

To the bold, yes, it seems so, I have signed the petition, but would have preferred to sign the one which was closed, but this is the only one we can sign, as it is the only one they will allow. I would love Trump to come over, we have to made trade deals with someone and they do better oranges than Spain.

I don't think it's that they won't allow other, just they only have one on each topic. Then they'll keep the oldest. The fault is with the people writing the petition.

What I wonder is whether signatures are transferred across. If so, are there duplicates and should they attach signatures to a petition just because it's similar to one they signed before.

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Im nowhere near convinced of that fact. The last two presidents alone should have taught us all that the lip service doesnt necessarily equate the truth. We had Bush claiming conservativism and protectionism , then we had Obama claiming to be the peace president and of course Hope and Change and we see how those two turned out. 

I personally believe the president has much less say over national direction than commonly believed. 

Sorry Mr Glass Half Full --- I can only take so much of your negativity --

got to go now -

au revoir 

• Like 1

Just now, bee said:

Sorry Mr Glass Half Full --- I can only take so much of your negativity --

got to go now -

au revoir 

Think of it as vigilance not negativity ;) 

Shock poll shows what Americans REALLY think of Donald Trump’s migrant travel ban
DONALD Trump’s migrant travel ban from seven Muslim countries may have received a backlash around the world, but a poll has found nearly half of Americans questioned AGREE with the ban.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/761613/Poll-half-of-Americans-agree-with-Donald-Trump-immigration-ban

• Like 1

And a PRO-Trump peition has received enough signatures for it to be debated in Parliament - but I shan't hold my breath.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1