Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain interface mind-reads locked-in patients

UM-Bot

Apart from usual robapocalyptic or conspiracy thoughts, this is really fantastic. 

I can't even fathom how it feels, but I guess it has to be terrible. 

Now, what if the clis patients say "kill me"? 

Well, since it's only yes or no at the moment, maybe people just have to avoid the question. 

This sounds like research with fMRI scanning.  If it proves reproducible, maybe they can find a less expensive and time-consuming way to communicate.  For these poor patients, it must be like a real miracle.

• Like 3

Yeah, to be " locked in" within your own body, somewhat clearly aware of your surroundings and possibly your own condition, yet unable to communicate to your loved one's or doctors at all; no lifting of your fingers or blinking your eyes to respond.

Must be a psychological "mind ****" of sorts.

I can see how this technology might help.

• Like 1

That must be a life changing experience for them.  I could not imagine how it would feel to basically be trapped in your body.

The future looks bright for this technology.  It should be affordable for just about anyone soon.

Here are 8 gadgets that are brain controlled, either in the works or already for sale.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/brain-controlled-gadgets/

Edited by Four Winds

They could use that technology even with only a Yes or NO response to allow the person to spell out a sentence.  They would have to ask several yes/no questions to get each letter, but I think it would be worth it to the person suffering from CLIS.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 2

Amazing technological achievement. Being locked in your own body would be much more bearable if you could communicate. Still no bueno, of course, but a whole world of difference.

• Like 1

I think it's an excellent breakthrough.

This is a great use of this tech. Hopefully they can expand it next to a simple vocabulary. 

On 2/1/2017 at 2:44 PM, and then said:

This sounds like research with fMRI scanning.  If it proves reproducible, maybe they can find a less expensive and time-consuming way to communicate.  For these poor patients, it must be like a real miracle.

Can you imagine how happy they would be just to be able to communicate. Even if you had a great caregiver who talked and cared for you as a conscious person, communication is so very important to life. 

We may have some people similar to Hawking and his way of overcoming the ALS disability.