Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boston Dynamics Previews Latest Robot

Still Waters

The founder of Alphabet’s robot development company Boston Dynamics revealed new video of another creation that leaked Tuesday, showing a wheeled automaton that goes by the name “Handle.”

The clip of company founder Marc Raibert reportedly making a presentation to investors was posted to YouTube by venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson on January 31.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/02/01/alphabets-boston-dynamics-previews-latest-nightmare-inducing-robot/

• Like 6

Funny, the title of the youtube video in the article is "The latest nightmare inducing Boston Dynamics robots". :o

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Funny, the title of the youtube video in the article is "The latest nightmare inducing Boston Dynamics robots". :o

Yeah well, did you see the part in the video where it's crawling up the stairs? It's a creepy little thing, but I think that has to do with its agility and its half-man half dog like movements. It's also a bit too fast for my liking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

Yeah well, did you see the part in the video where it's crawling up the stairs? It's a creepy little thing, but I think that has to do with its agility and its half-man half dog like movements. It's also a bit too fast for my liking.

Watch further in the video, the robot  the OP is referring to is "Handle" which has wheels and is creepy on its own.  I'm not anti science at all, but when I see what is going on with robotics it does bring to mind the three basic laws Isaac Asimov proposed.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.[1]
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Four Winds said:

Watch further in the video, the robot  the OP is referring to is "Handle" which has wheels and is creepy on its own.  I'm not anti science at all, but when I see what is going on with robotics it does bring to mind the three basic laws Isaac Asimov proposed.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.[1]

Tell that to the robot! Eventually, someone, somewhere will create an army of them.

• Like 1

Just now, Claire. said:

Tell that to the robot! Eventually, someone, somewhere will create an army of them.

It is already happening. 

• Like 1

Very cool!

I envision a world that bots will do mundane chores for us.  Even more so than the usual carpet vacuums. Heck I went to McDonalds last night and they had a complete computer controlled soda system that drops cups, aligns them under the appropriate flavor complete with measured ice, and even installs the lid! :lol: I'm easily amused. :huh:

Edited by .ZZ.
I can't type lol
  • Like 2

Unfortunately their best work is already behind them.

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 4

the BIG problem, with any untethered robot.... is battery power

They make look scary.... but their charge soon runs down......and it takes a LOT of battery power to do what they do

• Like 2

THAT is impressive.

Hat's-off to all the engineer's of Boston Dynamics...

Love all your previous robotic creations as well.

Nice job.

• Like 2

Isnt Boston Dynamics the bad guys from Fringe? 

It's amazing what Boston Dynamics has done over the years.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2017 at 4:32 AM, seeder said:

the BIG problem, with any untethered robot.... is battery power

They make look scary.... but their charge soon runs down......and it takes a LOT of battery power to do what they do

Well, that's why they will start to hunt us down, in order to use us as "batteries". 

Thinking about it, that's what we do with our food. 

Will they eat or drain us? 

• Like 3

Johnny 5 is alive

• Like 1