Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why eating sounds can make people angry

Still Waters

Why some people become enraged by sounds such as eating or breathing has been explained by brain scan studies.

The condition, misophonia, is far more than simply disliking noises such as nails being scraped down a blackboard.

UK scientists have shown some people's brains become hardwired to produce an "excessive" emotional response.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38842561

• Like 6

I'm one of those people. 

• Like 7

The worst is when a person does not close their mouth when they chew their food.  The sound drives me nuts.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 5

I hate noisy eaters, hate them, they drive me to the bloody edge. Mind you I slurp when I drink, and that drives the Mrs to the bloody edge too. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I hate noisy eaters, hate them, they drive me to the bloody edge. Mind you I slurp when I drink, and that drives the Mrs to the bloody edge too. 

This was my reaction when I visited Japan. I had no idea slurping the soup was a thing.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, oldrover said:

A dear departed friend of mine use to eat noisily with open mouth then lick the plate.... in restaurants.  lol  And also attempt to steal the tip.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

A dear departed friend of mine use to eat noisily with open mouth then lick the plate.... in restaurants.  lol  And also attempt to steal the tip.

That is bad, funny, but bad. I had an Army buddy that for some reason always found the time to clip his fingernails while we were eating. 

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

My Mrs licks her knife. My best mate eats only with a fork. Both use their fork upside down. Upside bloody down. It really does drive me insane. My Mrs I don''t say a word to, but my mate normally gets a tirade at knife point about three minutes into every meal, even though I know he's only doing it to provoke that exact reaction. 

8 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

That is bad, funny, but bad. I had an Army buddy that for some reason always found the time to clip his fingernails while we were eating. 

And did you have your rifle with you when he did that? 

• Like 3

Alot of my work is remote and we fly in on bush planes. The pilots have busy days and sometimes "eat on the fly". The co-pilot seat is always used as a passenger seat and when Im in it I get the same pilot each time who will do his take off from the water, then start chowing down on his lunch..he's sloppy,dropping bits of food while he should be flyin' the frickin plane! the smell of his food drives me nuts. I can tell he's a noisy eater as well but the drone of the plane cancells that out luckily!

• Like 5

I hate the sound of my own voice. Luckily my dog loves me for it, he's my number one fan. :wub:

• Like 5

I absolutely hate noisy eaters!  Keep your mouth closed.   I don't want to see your chewed food.  Have some manners!  I have actually made excuses to not hang out with certain friends because they eat with their mouths open like a cow chewing their cud

• Like 4

I will add this, when you're eating with someone who you know has annoying table manners, it takes over the entire experience. No matter how much you're enjoying your meal or their company, you're just waiting for them to do whatever it is that annoys you. Even when they aren't doing it, every okay bite is a bite closer to the point when they do.

It's like Russian roulette. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Same as listening to politicians.  Only a matter of time before you want to scream at them and you know it's coming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I will add this, when you're eating with someone who you know has annoying table manners, it takes over the entire experience. No matter how much you're enjoying your meal or their company, you're just waiting for them to do whatever it is that annoys you. Even when they aren't doing it, every okay bite is a bite closer to the point when they do.

Yup, pretty much anytime you start to notice whatever the annoying habit is, with food or otherwise.  It does take over the experience.  I was sharing an apartment with two other people, one of them didn't seem to clean up after herself.  We started to notice, and drew circles around the things she would leave around for days. Dishes and other things that would normally go in the trash or the wash. It did not end well, we had to kick her out.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 3

I hate it when someone is chewing gum and they make popping sounds with it. 

• Like 1

I'm a very noisy eater. Don't really care what anyone thinks since there's nothing I can do about it.  My lips don't stretch along with my jaw well enough which means I have to consciously force my lips closed which effects my ability to chew. I suspect most others like me are the same way...it's a muscle thing and trust me it's not very comfortable to chew food with the mouth closed, sometimes I end up biting my tongue or others I can't get the food chewed properly and swallow too soon making it harder to go down.

Not all of us have big mouths.