Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Broad Haven UFO sightings marked 40 years on

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

There were no alien invasions or tales of abduction, yet a UFO sighting by a group of Pembrokeshire school children remains one of the most famous cases in Wales.

It was 40 years ago when a class of pupils at Broad Haven Primary School said they spotted a UFO in a field near their playground.

It was one of a wave of sightings in the area in 1977 - dubbed the Dyfed Triangle.

David Davies was 10 at the time and heard reports of pupils seeing flying saucers throughout the day.

"I was a natural born sceptic so after the bell rang I decided to go to the area that the children said they had seen it," he told BBC Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-38723643

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
oldrover

I was five, I came home from school and saw this on the evening news, it was just sixty miles or so away from my house. It was the day I first heard about UFOs, I was absolutely petrified. I can still see the pictures the kids did. 

Later on I went on holiday to Pembrokeshire after reading a book called 'The Uninvited', about aliens in the area. I was terrified again. I was a bit of a mug when I was a kid. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taniwha

Kids have overactive imaginations most days. 

To oldrover:  Did your parents have any theories? I don't suppose you remember seeing any thing similar ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taniwha

They may have been the butt of a practical joke.  The brain acts in mysterious ways when it goes into survival mode.

Prepare for a fright of the third kind...

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover
55 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Kids have overactive imaginations most days. 

To oldrover:  Did your parents have any theories? I don't suppose you remember seeing any thing similar ?

I'm not sure, all they probably told me about it was that it wasn't coming to get me. But, as late as the 80's Wales (especially the south) was well known for UFO sightings. 

The last big one I can recall must have been about 83, funnily enough my friend mentioned this to me the other day, we were out one night play fighting when we noticed one if the boys was lying on his back and hadn't git up for a while. When we asked him what he was doing he told us he was watching the UFOs. We just assumed he was joking and carried on playing about without looking up. Next evening the local rag was full of it. As I recall a formation of something was seen over the city the previous night. My friend pointed out that he had told us.

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover

Just to add I did go on to have two ir three sightings of my own, which I posted in laborious detail in the 'No explanation required' thread over in the 'Sightings and Experiences' section. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taniwha
1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Just to add I did go on to have two ir three sightings of my own, which I posted in laborious detail in the 'No explanation required' thread over in the 'Sightings and Experiences' section. 

True.  I've posted a couple of my own. Looking back 5 - 10 years I still feel I have a fresh grasp on what I saw.  

It is a whole different can of worms though trying to convey in written form exactly what I recall. 

Perceptions can be vague.

Its like asking people to conceive what the coastline looks like if all theyve ever done is smell the sea breeze...

...Sorry probably a bad analogy, as is the next one...

...As a pup, my dog  was scared of his own shadow. The faster he ran the more he got chased.  It never once bit him and nowdays he can lay quite peacefully beside himself.

40 years on I hope those kids can rest easy too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hawken
5 hours ago, taniwha said:

Kids have overactive imaginations most days

To oldrover:  Did your parents have any theories? I don't suppose you remember seeing any thing similar ?

From my experience around kids, they call things as they see them. They will say things that goes on in the family that their parents want to keep secret from others. I can tell by the parents reaction of embarrassment or surprise when the child speaks of a situation within their family.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk

I've read about this case in some UFO or paranormal book. The school children certainly did see something very strange, as did many other people in that area in 1977.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.United_Nations

They have the mach loop which is an area where low flying aircraft are seen. So it could be that, it does however match a experimental aircraft belonging to the USAF

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bella-Angelique

UFO near a school sounded familiar and so I looked it up and found that a similar incident happened in the state of West Virginia in the USA, and also found what I was not aware of, that the state has been a hotbed of UFO sightings. http://www.register-herald.com/news/local_news/west-virginia-almost-a-ufo-heaven/article_e82e9e52-b476-502b-9f92-7fd4eb0971c4.html

So I think what do these two places, Wales and West Virginia have in common. I get mountains and mining. Then I wonder about the Welsh people themselves and could that be another commonality. Apparently it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Americans.

Now I will put forward the hypothesis that mass UFO sightings are somehow related to mountainous mining areas or that the Welsh are really alien trolls that prefer to hide in hillsides where they can make contact with their space fleet more easily. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover
10 minutes ago, Bella-Angelique said:

UFO near a school sounded familiar and so I looked it up and found that a similar incident happened in the state of West Virginia in the USA, and also found what I was not aware of, that the state has been a hotbed of UFO sightings. http://www.register-herald.com/news/local_news/west-virginia-almost-a-ufo-heaven/article_e82e9e52-b476-502b-9f92-7fd4eb0971c4.html

So I think what do these two places, Wales and West Virginia have in common. I get mountains and mining. Then I wonder about the Welsh people themselves and could that be another commonality. Apparently it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Americans.

Now I will put forward the hypothesis that mass UFO sightings are somehow related to mountainous mining areas or that the Welsh are really alien trolls that prefer to hide in hillsides where they can make contact with their space fleet more easily. 

Yes, very funny. As intriguing as your theory is, there aren't any mines (that I know of) or mountains in Pembrokshire. It's a flat peninsula mostly given over to agriculture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
oldrover
43 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

They have the mach loop which is an area where low flying aircraft are seen. So it could be that, it does however match a experimental aircraft belonging to the USAF

Yes, there was a lot of that sort of thing in the west back then, there's still a fair bit of it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bella-Angelique
Just now, oldrover said:

Yes, very funny. As intriguing as your theory is, there aren't any mines (that I know of) or mountains in Pembrokshire. It's a flat peninsula mostly given over to agriculture. 

The commonality is the Welsh people themselves then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover

Must be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover

Just been reading the FT thread on this. Apparently the 'object' was also seen by some of the school's canteen workers, who insisted it was a vehicle from the local sewage treatment works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.