Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump not allowed to address parliament

OverSword

Bercow says Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament when on official state visit to Britain.  He may want to rethink that.  It's conceivable that England may need a strong show of support from the USA  in the next four to eight years and it's equally conceivable that a guy like Trump won't forget or forgive this slight.  Don't cut off your nose to spite your face England.  Like it or not this is the new leader of your strongest ally so you'd better reconcile yourself to that fact and get over it.

Link to a video of Bercow's speech

Edit to add, if you recall the last time Obama addressed Parliament he threatened you over Brexit which you ignored and now America has a leader that supports your decision.  Is your collective head on straight here?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Bercow says Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament when on official state visit to Britain.  He may want to rethink that.  It's conceivable that England may need a strong show of support from the USA  in the next four to eight years and it's equally conceivable that a guy like Trump won't forget or forgive this slight.  Don't cut off your nose to spite your face England.  Like it or not this is the new leader of your strongest ally so you'd better reconcile yourself to that fact and get over it.

Love the end of the video , point of order two words well done! 

He did lay out his case eloquently and without hyperbole I thought. Hopefully Trump is mature enough......ok I cant even type that sentence, clearly Trump will throw a fit and insult our ally with some tweets very shortly. 

• Like 6

Just now, Farmer77 said:

He did lay out his case eloquently and without hyperbole I thought. Hopefully Trump is mature enough......ok I cant even type that sentence, clearly Trump will throw a fit and insult our ally with some tweets very shortly. 

Read my edit and see how well thought out I consider Bercow's action..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Read my edit and see how well thought out I consider Bercow's action..

I get it its probably not the best business decision. Sometimes however we have to make moral decisions that arent necessarily in the best interest of our business. 

They say you're judged by the friends you keep. Trump is offensive at best , sexist and racist at worst depending on your interpretation of him and his words and actions. I imagine these guys wont be the last who dont want to be judged based on their relationship with the American president regardless of cost. 

• Like 3

Why do they sound like an angry lynch mob?

It's ok for them to "throw a fit" Farmer?

• Like 4

Just now, .ZZ. said:

British Parliament always sounds like a lynch mob. Seriously its a blast to watch, i never have a clue whats actually happening when I do but its still crazy. 

DId they take to twitter to offend someone who disagreed with them? I musta missed that part. ;) j/k j/k 

IDK I dont see this as "throwing a fit"  but as choosing who your nations honors carefully. Like i said   I thought the dude laid out his case eloquently and without hyperbole. 

• Like 2

Yeah, wait 'til those snobs need something from us. :lol:

Here's a news article with more info on this: Reuters

According to the article, Obama was the first US President to address both Houses of Parliament.

• Like 3

I'll quote myself from another thread:

46 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Bercow should perhaps remember that his position is supposed to be impartial.

Is this the message we want to send out to our closest allies, that their democratically elected leader can only speak as long as his views align with one side of the political spectrum?

Russian posturing? Islamic extremism? I'm thinking that this incessant liberal need to silence opposing views is going to be the foremost enemy to peace in the coming years :rolleyes:

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

It's beyond me why our politicians still behave like this in Parliament.

They're barely beyond a rabble of children sometimes, but... tradition... go figure! :rolleyes:

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Edit to add, if you recall the last time Obama addressed Parliament he threatened you over Brexit which you ignored and now America has a leader that supports your decision.  Is your collective head on straight here?

It's a total embarrassment - the smug look on his face as he spoke was like a sly child -
I know Brexit and Trump has stirred up politics but this is beyond a joke now -

And the MPs cheering and clapping -- FFS -

If Bercow can be removed from his position he should be ---
he's shown himself to be a trouble maker and unfit for the job -

he needs putting in his place and quick ---

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bee said:

.It's a total embarrassment - the smug look on his face as he spoke was like a sly child -

Now you know how over half of America feels since Nov 8th. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

So, what, we should abandon our values because it might make us more money?

Yeah, we're British, remember? If there's one thing we don't do, it's bow to pressure.

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Got to love Dennis Skinner, he always livens things up. The highlight was him getting thrown out for insisting on calling Cameron 'Dodgy Dave'.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Setton said:

Yeah, we're British, remember? If there's one thing we don't do, it's bow to pressure.

Yeah, I can tell by all of the powerful highly placed pedophiles that you guys have values that are unassailable. 

But to be fair this speech was unnecessary because only one American president has addressed parliament so to suppose that Trump automatically would have or expected to do is stupid.  But now this fool Bercow has made an issue of it, possibly to the detriment of your countries relationship with your closest ally.  And speaking of someone who considers Britain and her commonwealth also our closest allies I must say this man is a loudmouthed fool.  He would probably get along well with Trump considering that common trait.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

Just now, OverSword said:

Yeah, I can tell by all of the powerful highly placed pedophiles that you guys have values that are unassailable. 

But to be fair this speech was unnecessary because only one American president has addressed both parliament so to suppose that Trump automatically would have or expected to be is stupid.  But now this fool Bercow has made an issue of it, possibly to the detriment of your countries relationship with your closest ally.  And speaking of someone who considers Britain and her commonwealth also our closest allies I must say this man is a loudmouthed fool.  He would probably get along well with Trump considering that common trait.

We're not without problems. But we don't sell out.

And the speech was not unnecessary, it was in response to a point raised by one of our elected representatives. In line with parliamentary procedure.

• Like 2

How come? 

With the new, fabulous agreements that Brexit will allow UK to sign in no time, who knows who will be Britain's strongest ally? 

Maybe US, maybe China, maybe Burundi. 

22 minutes ago, Setton said:

that's rich coming from a Remain supporter as you are all obsessed with the Single market and
to hell with self determination and sovereignty -

Donald Trump is the democratically elected President of the United States of America ---

It's not rocket science - 

• Like 4

The UKs greatest allies are the Commonwealth countries and then the USA.  (only saying)  The US is our main trading partner, followed by Germany.

And Bercow is the Chair in a House full of expenses fiddling hypocrites. (his head is up his own backside)

Forgot to add... around 60% of the people I know, peasants, like the new President for how different he is to the usual BSers.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

Just now, bee said:

that's rich coming from a Remain supporter as you are all obsessed with the Single market and
to hell with self determination and sovereignty -

Donald Trump is the democratically elected President of the United States of America ---

It's not rocket science - 

Your mind reading appears to be on the blink... If you actually knew my political views (or had even read things I post here, you'd know how close to voting Leave I was - and that that was one of the reasons)

(Pretty sure it was Leave promising an extra 350 million a week but that's by the by)

He IS the democratically elected President of the United States of America. He is NOT the elected leader of the UK and we do NOT have to answer to him or take his opinion into account when determining our values.

Let me turn the Brexit thing back on you for a second: You're in favour of self-determination and sovereignty? Then why the hell would we swap one unelected ruler for another? The day we give any country's leader influence over our values is the day we give up that sovereignty.

14 minutes ago, Setton said:

Your mind reading appears to be on the blink... If you actually knew my political views (or had even read things I post here, you'd know how close to voting Leave I was - and that that was one of the reasons)

(Pretty sure it was Leave promising an extra 350 million a week but that's by the by)

He IS the democratically elected President of the United States of America. He is NOT the elected leader of the UK and we do NOT have to answer to him or take his opinion into account when determining our values.

Let me turn the Brexit thing back on you for a second: You're in favour of self-determination and sovereignty? Then why the hell would we swap one unelected ruler for another? The day we give any country's leader influence over our values is the day we give up that sovereignty.

how tiresome --- 

first.... 'close to voting leave' ..... means nothing under the circumstances -

second - it wasn't a promise - it was an example, but keep deliberately misrepresenting what it was if you want to - 
that's the kind of deception we have become accustomed to since the referendum -

and the rest --- if you can't grasp why people should stop the self righteous pious nonsense in response to Trump then
I can't help you and YOU are no help to our country -

Edited by bee
  • Like 4

ok ---- it's obvious what has to happen now -- :) 

someone has to start an online Government petition to have him removed or reprimanded (or both) and
if it gets over 100,000 signatures it will be debated in parliament --

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I get it its probably not the best business decision. Sometimes however we have to make moral decisions that arent necessarily in the best interest of our business. 

They say you're judged by the friends you keep. Trump is offensive at best , sexist and racist at worst depending on your interpretation of him and his words and actions. I imagine these guys wont be the last who dont want to be judged based on their relationship with the American president regardless of cost. 

How about when Sidiq Khan shared a platform with 5 Islamic extremists. Was he judged? Not by you I bet.

Edited by SNR
To add 5 Islamic extremists
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Setton said:

We're not without problems. But we don't sell out.

You're as bad as the flag waving rednecks over here.

Britain’s government under Prime Minister David Cameron has signaled, increasingly loudly in recent months, that it hopes to usher in a “golden age” of British-Chinese relations, one which will see China become Britain’s second-largest trading partner — and one in which overt criticism of China’s politics or of its human rights record will be muted.

Link

Sellout.

• Like 2

But to be fair this speech was unnecessary because only one American president has addressed parliament so to suppose that Trump automatically would have or expected to do is stupid.  But now this fool Bercow has made an issue of it, possibly to the detriment of your countries relationship with your closest ally.  And speaking of someone who considers Britain and her commonwealth also our closest allies I must say this man is a loudmouthed fool.  He would probably get along well with Trump considering that common trait.

Where were the mass protests when Savile was found out... No mass protests against the Royal's vip association with him etc. Apparently pedos > Trump in their deluded eyes.

Edited by AdealJustice
  • Like 3