Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Device Turns Air Pollution Into Printing Ink

Still Waters

An MIT spinoff company in India is proposing a novel solution to air pollution problems in Asia — turning vehicle exhaust into ink.

It involves attaching a device, called a Kaalink, to the business end of a standard automobile exhaust pipe. The Kaalink filters and captures unburned carbon emitted by incomplete engine combustion. The technical details of the process are secret, but officials at Gravinky Labs, a spinoff company from MIT Media Lab, said the process is largely mechanical and relatively straightforward.

http://www.seeker.com/an-exhaust-pipe-device-turns-air-pollution-into-printing-ink-2245514002.html

• Like 3

Now all we have to do is to get the kids to learn writing with pens again ...

~

• Like 3

It's very clever! 

It's like getting blood from a stone! 

I wonder how the efficiency of the car engine is affected by it and how the consumes increase (if at all). 

• Like 1

Clever, yes, but issues.  Where do you store the in on your vehicle while driving?  Where do you take the ink to have your container emptied? Does it work on diesels? Does the equipment harm the rest of the exhaust system and as Parsec quipped about the engine efficiency? I'm sure there is some sort of pressure build-up as the exhaust goes through this equipment that would hurt performance  or engine itself.

LOL @ third_eye. Good point. I think it's a decent idea but time would be better spent tackling the overuse of fossil fuels. It's the closing the stable door after the horses have gotten out sort of thing. Not to mention it is probably just another one of those things we'll find out causes cancer. LOL. ("Pollution ink")

Edited by LoveDuet
For some reason, my sentence was cut off.
  • Like 1

@LoveDuet - If there is any free benzene found in the ink, that will be the first cry.