Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot expedition inspires ban

Still Waters

KRQE News 13’s Larry Barker first exposed a UNM expedition to find Bigfoot back in October — a foray into the forest paid for by you. Now, a lawmaker wants to make it illegal for state-funded colleges to go hunting for mythical creatures.

The bill comes from a Gallup senator who Larry Barker spoke with during his investigation. The bill would stop trips like the one Dr. Christopher Dyer of the UNM-Gallup campus took last year.

http://krqe.com/2017/02/08/bigfoot-expedition-inspires-bill-banning-state-funded-searches-for-mythical-creatures/

• Like 1

Now, a lawmaker wants to make it illegal for state-funded colleges to go hunting for mythical creatures.

In response to what happened, Sen. George Munoz is sponsoring a bill that would ban public funds from being spent on “looking for or catching a fictitious creature.”

http://krqe.com/2017/02/08/bigfoot-expedition-inspires-bill-banning-state-funded-searches-for-mythical-creatures/

He obviously is not a believer =and  I agree with him.

The college would have been better off spending the public  funds on a field trip and teaching them about nature, we have enough people believing in fictitious creatures already, it is even sadder to think that colleges are encouraging this kind of mind set. What next = buy a few ouiji boards ?

• Like 2

I can't get to the article but didn't someone have to approve these funds?

Edited by Merc14

Pretty unscientific to attempt such legislation. Whether or not the creature is "fictitious" is a matter that is up for debate. 

Also, implying such an expedition is "unethical" is pure dramatics. That this bill would include Pokemon tells you all you need to know about the level of ignorance we're dealing with here. This Munoz guy is a joke. 

14 minutes ago, PrisonerX said:

Pretty unscientific to attempt such legislation. Whether or not the creature is "fictitious" is a matter that is up for debate. 

Also, implying such an expedition is "unethical" is pure dramatics. That this bill would include Pokemon tells you all you need to know about the level of ignorance we're dealing with here. This Munoz guy is a joke. 

The fact that there is zero empirical evidence of such a creature means there shouldn't be a penny of public money spent on it, especially when much greater sums are being spent in the private market with private funds and they have had zero luck finding one of these things.

• Like 8

When I think of some of the torturous arguments that have been made to grant committees to get funding for all sorts of things, I find it hard to believe this guy was able to get a grant if he even mentioned anything about Bigfoot.

• Like 2

We've had a few encounters here so I can see them taking that trip, better that UNM spend it on this than classes on microaggressions.

• Like 2

Thankfully money can be diverted to actual research instead of junkets such as the one run by Dyer.

Animals that could have been studied include the boreal toad, the white sands pupfish, and possible sightings of black footed ferret.

Big thumbs up to Munoz.

• Like 2

Let's outlaw the lawyers and let Bigfoot write the laws!

Just now, Chaldon said:

Let's outlaw the lawyers and let Bigfoot write the laws!

Let's see if a ficticious creature can do anything at all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

When I think of some of the torturous arguments that have been made to grant committees to get funding for all sorts of things, I find it hard to believe this guy was able to get a grant if he even mentioned anything about Bigfoot.

Like I said I couldn't read the original article on this computer so I am purely guessing but maybe someone can find out exactly what color money this was.

35 minutes ago, clare256 said:

But its okay for universities to charge students (their parents) for classes like "The genius of Kanye West"

Since it is unlikely that this would be a core course, but rather an elective that the student chooses, yeah.

3 hours ago, Merc14 said:

The fact that there is zero empirical evidence of such a creature means there shouldn't be a penny of public money spent on it, especially when much greater sums are being spent in the private market with private funds and they have had zero luck finding one of these things.

Bans should not be implemented based on misconceptions and ignorance. Such a thing is unscientific. But, by all means, if you wish to support such restraints, carry on. Personally I like to see such avenues for study left open, giving students the opportunity to pursue them if they'd like to, not limited by laws. 

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PrisonerX said:

Bans should not be implemented based on misconceptions and ignorance. Such a thing is unscientific. But, by all means, if you wish to support such restraints, carry on. Personally I like to see such avenues for study left open, not limited by laws. 

Such avenues =  what like bigfoot? there is nothing to study. 

As it happens, Dyer is a bigfoot fan and decided to use $7,000 of tax payers money to hold a two day bigfoot conference on campus, followed by a bigfoot expedition. This is not what tax payers pay their money for.....if he wanted to hold the conference and expedition to feed his own belief in bigfoot, he should have funded it himself.

Bigfoot hairs? and these where analyzed and confirmed when?  

His free time is when he should have done this:

Dyer is an avid Bigfoot hunter in his free time and says he only pursues the mythical creature when he isn't on the job. He has a collection of Bigfoot hairs and photos of suspicious footprints.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ap-university-executive-director-under-fire-for-bigfoot-hunt-2016-11

Self-professed Bigfoot expert Dr. Jeff Meldrum was paid a $1,000 honorarium plus expenses.

Expert in WHAT, where is the bigfoot he claims to be an expert in? This is the rubbish tax payers have  payed $7,000 for?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Such avenues =  what like bigfoot? there is nothing to study. 

As it happens, Dyer is a bigfoot fan and decided to use $7,000 of tax payers money to hold a two day bigfoot conference on campus, followed by a bigfoot expedition. This is not what tax payers pay their money for.....if he wanted to hold the conference and expedition to feed his own belief in bigfoot, he should have funded it himself.

Bigfoot hairs? and these where analyzed and confirmed when?  

His free time is when he should have done this:

Dyer is an avid Bigfoot hunter in his free time and says he only pursues the mythical creature when he isn't on the job. He has a collection of Bigfoot hairs and photos of suspicious footprints.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ap-university-executive-director-under-fire-for-bigfoot-hunt-2016-11

Self-professed Bigfoot expert Dr. Jeff Meldrum was paid a $1,000 honorarium plus expenses.

Expert in WHAT, where is the bigfoot he claims to be an expert in? This is the rubbish tax payers have  payed $7,000 for?

Yes, avenues such as Bigfoot research. If a state funded college wants to hold a Bigfoot convention, they should be free to do so. Such options should not be legislated against. 

Lol at being so bent out of shape over a measly 7 grand anyway. I'm sure they really broke the budget with this convention. 

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, PrisonerX said:

Yes, avenues such as Bigfoot research. If a state funded college wants to hold a Bigfoot convention, they should be free to do so. Such options should not be legislated against. 

Lol at being so bent out of shape over a measly 7 grand anyway. I'm sure they really broke the budget with this convention. 

Bigfoot research? research on what? there are bigfoot fans and hunters, but researchers? when a bigfoot is found then maybe the research can begin, but examining bear hairs and bear sh ! t is not  bigfoot research, its wishful thinking on the part of the enthusiasts.

$7,000 is a lot of tax payers money to waste by a person to  fund his "hobby", there are far more educational  things to spend the money on, and $1,000 paid to a self professed "expert" + his expenses. There are NO experts on bigfoot, this Dyer took advantage of having access to tax payers money and if he had not been stopped he would have spent a lot more. 

The money is only one half of it, the other half is ....a avid bigfoot hunter taking this too far by taking it into the college, what did he hope for when he took them all out, that they would help him find a bigfoot because he has never found one before and thought maybe a few more bodies might help, well they found nothing, being appointed executive director does not give him the right to waste tax payers money. 

I wonder if any of this went towards his bigfoot hunts or to help his bigfoot "expert" friends? this was back in 2013, maybe now he was running out of funds.

Dyer has received research support from the National Science Foundation and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

+

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PrisonerX said:

Stealing "7 grand" is  felony theft and that is what Dyer did unless someone approved his expenditure.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Stealing "7 grand" is  felony theft and that is what Dyer did unless someone approved his expenditure.  

Lol felony theft. Could you be any more dramatic. 

3 minutes ago, PrisonerX said:

Lol felony theft. Could you be any more dramatic. 

Go steal 7 grand from your boss and see what you are charges with.  :rolleyes:  My point was, and I understand much of this goes right over your head, is that $7K is not a trifling sum and many government employees have lost their jobs for misusing funds of that amount.  

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Go steal 7 grand from your boss and see what you are charges with.  :rolleyes:  My point was, and I understand much of this goes right over your head, is that $7K is not a trifling sum and many government employees have lost their jobs for misusing funds of that amount.  

7k is peanuts. You're acting like the guy ran up on a state official with a machine gun and robbed him for 7k. He used college funds to support a Bigfoot convention. Oh the horror! lol. 

Edited by PrisonerX

14 minutes ago, PrisonerX said:

7k is peanuts. You're acting like the guy ran up on a state official with a machine gun and robbed him for 7k. He used college funds to support a Bigfoot convention. Oh the horror! lol. 

I said no such thing  and I was merely trying to learn ya that $7K is enough to trigger a felony charge.   Regardless, the state of New Mexico cares enough to make sure it never happens again and passing a law to that effect 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PrisonerX said:

Maybe peanuts for you...actually if you are up for Dyer to spend that kind of money on useless walks looking for something which is not there, unless you count bears, then YOU fund him. 

16 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Some one did approve it, the chief  executive director, er,  Dr. Christopher Dyer. ;)

• Like 3